Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Oct 7, 2011
Re-theme, or maybe just remove the visual references to child slavery?

Granted, the kids-in-cages angle is part of the plot. Not necessarily its bedrock, as the problematic aspects of Song of the South are, but somewhere between that and Pirates -- which had the benefit of being a ride with questionable elements before becoming a movie with more modern sensibilities and a ride with notably fewer questionable elements.

Others can (will) argue about these distinctions...

My only other thought is on the notion that changing the ride will destroy the original story. In the original Pinocchio story, he kills the cricket with a hammer and multiple animal characters get badly maimed, some of which try to murder him by hanging him from a tree. He burns both of his own feet off at one point. Disney saw fit to edit that story, making some odd additions in the process; removing the kids in cages is topically wise and actually is in the same spirit as Disney's original edits, making an older story with some problems a better fit for modern times.

Not aiming any of this at you, @Jahrules. Just noting options, I suppose.

Anyway.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Feb 3, 2019
Re-theme, or maybe just remove the visual references to child slavery?

Granted, the kids-in-cages angle is part of the plot. Not necessarily its bedrock, as the problematic aspects of Song of the South are, but somewhere between that and Pirates -- which had the benefit of being a ride with questionable elements before becoming a movie with more modern sensibilities and a ride with notably fewer questionable elements.

Others can (will) argue about these distinctions...

My only other thought is on the notion that changing the ride will destroy the original story. In the original Pinocchio story, he kills the cricket with a hammer and multiple animal characters get badly maimed, some of which try to murder him by hanging him from a tree. He burns both of his own feet off at one point. Disney saw fit to edit that story, making some odd additions in the process; removing the kids in cages is topically wise and actually is in the same spirit as Disney's original edits, making an older story with some problems a better fit for modern times.

Not aiming any of this at you, @Jahrules. Just noting options, I suppose.

Anyway.

No offense taken. I am completely fine with having their own opinions. And I didn't give any context of my own in posting the article.

Many classic Disney stories have a darker side to them. I think in the age of movies like Frozen; people forget that Disney storytelling used to look a lot different.

That darker side also makes the stories more interesting for an adult viewer while still being relatively safe for a child's consumption. Where I have no interest in watching frozen for the 100th time; I still occasionally will watch and enjoy the classics like Pinocchio.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I’d point out that much (most?) of Disney’s older movies were based on existing stories, which in my opinion is why they are better than crap like Frozen. Faery stories and Grimms Tales are notoriously dark.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad