Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
[wiki]index.php?title=Avalanche[/wiki]

Well for anyone that doesn't keep up on roller coaster news Cedar Point just announced the closure of two of their rides, Disaster Transport and Space Spiral, to make room for their 2013 attraction, GateKeeper. Now what does this mean for Avalanche. First of all, Avalanche is the only bobsled coaster operating out of all the Cedar Fair parks. Secondly, with Disaster Transports closure (According to this post.) Cedar Point is sending some of the more "rare" parts to Kings Dominion for use on Avalanche.

If this is true I see this as a major benefit for the ride. I'm sure parts are harder to come by with the age of the ride. My only concern is what type of parts could be donated since Disaster Transport is an Intamin bobsled and Avalanche is a Mack bobsled. I'm sure if what was said is true that there is something that can be made to work or something along the lines of that.

From a personal standpoint I love Avalanche and I think it is an amazing kid/family ride. I've never had a "bad" ride on it and from that standpoint I see no bad part to it. But from a maintenance standpoint can be kind of rough since it is an older ride and the steel is aging quite a bit. But I have yet to see a little kid disappointed with their ride and they're always jumping up and down asking their mom or dad is they can go again. I would love to see Avalanche stay a lot longer with the joy that it brings little kids. It is actually still a fun ride for any age, but I believe the major appeal is to little kids seeking to ride their first roller coaster.

Reactions: Mushroom
smitty915 said:
My Only problem...the seating. I have to sit on someones lap? Umm...i would feel comfterble with few ppl sitting on my lap during a coaster

I take it you don't like Log Flumes or Enterprises either?

I think the only coaster where I never experienced any pain was Avalanche. The rest are either intense or rough. I'm also tall so bumping my knees is an issue.

Evan said:
Secondly, with Disaster Transports closure (According to this post.) Cedar Point is sending some of the more "rare" parts to Kings Dominion for use on Avalanche.

If this is true I see this as a major benefit for the ride. I'm sure parts are harder to come by with the age of the ride. My only concern is what type of parts could be donated since Disaster Transport is an Intamin bobsled and Avalanche is a Mack bobsled. I'm sure if what was said is true that there is something that can be made to work or something along the lines of that.

That's odd.

I don't see what parts could be rare since Mack still has their Bobsled coaster listed in their product catalog.

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/bobsled/c-bs-info/index.html

Unagi said:
That's odd.

I don't see what parts could be rare since Mack still has their Bobsled coaster listed in their product catalog.

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/bobsled/c-bs-info/index.html

That's what I've been thinking ever since I heard this story, too. I guess it's to save money but it makes no sense from two totally different trains from two totally different manufacturers. This isn't Arrow Looper vs. Vekoma Looper that we're talking about.

B.Mac said:
PzP said:
At KD, the one coaster you don't have to worry about being painful is Avalanche.

Hey now, don't be dissin' Flight of Fear. It's just as smooth as Avalanche!

In the FRONT seat may I add. I rode it in the back a few days ago, and it gave me the same boxing-match hits to the head as Anaconda does. I think the way to put it is that Avalanche is the only coaster at KD that isn't painful in any way on any seat.

Reactions: pandorazboxx
Jackelope said:
B.Mac said:
PzP said:
At KD, the one coaster you don't have to worry about being painful is Avalanche.

Hey now, don't be dissin' Flight of Fear. It's just as smooth as Avalanche!

In the FRONT seat may I add. I rode it in the back a few days ago, and it gave me the same boxing-match hits to the head as Anaconda does. I think the way to put it is that Avalanche is the only coaster at KD that isn't painful in any way on any seat.

Yeah I highly doubt that:
em00sq025000blp2686r12.jpg

I promise you, it is very, very rough and bumpy in the back seat on some of those turns in the building. I just rode it two days ago. It slams your head into the seat forcefully enough to hurt.
Yes the front seat is very smooth and fun, but the back seat is actually (and it was my to surprise aswell so I can see where you're coming from) quite painful.

Jackelope said:
I promise you, it is very, very rough and bumpy in the back seat on some of those turns in the building. I just rode it two days ago. It slams your head into the seat forcefully enough to hurt.
Yes the front seat is very smooth and fun, but the back seat is actually (and it was my to surprise aswell so I can see where you're coming from) quite painful.

I've ridden it in the back about 10 times this year, I still don't see what you're talking about. Sure you bang your head a little, but it's nowhere near as bad as what you're describing. PzP was complaining about the roughness because of how tall he is, and with those ankle harnesses you can bang your knees up pretty badly.

EDIT: and can we please get back to Avalanche here? I still want to know why Cedar Fair finds it feasible to transfer parts between 2 totally different trains...

Jackelope said:

Roughness is a variable left to be determined by the person unless accelerometers and other scientific tools are being utilized. This back and forth you have going is useless and clutter. Please end it.

Usually when I'm at KD, my head is so banged up by the other rides that FoF really doesn't affect me. I hardly think FoF is rough, at least be KD standards.

PzP said:
Usually when I'm at KD, my head is so banged up by the other rides that FoF really doesn't affect me. I hardly thing FoF is rough, at least be KD standards.

I lol'ed. But it ends there.

It may be that since Avalanche is an older ride that they could have upgraded their current bobsleds and the parts could have changed and maybe some parts aren't being manufactured anymore and some parts are harder to come by then others. Just a thought.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad