Removal of Dragon Challenge

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
RE: Dragon Challenge to close on September 5th

I really think this is a terrible idea. Dueling Dragons Challenge is easily the best coaster in the park. I get that they want family attractions, but they already have several. This decision is just criminal.

Sigh.

Sep 29, 2009

Kings Dominion should jump on it if it's true that they can only buy 2nd hand B&Ms. Either way, I hope it doesn't end up just being scrapped. Several parks are in need of a B&M, and inverts rarely disappoint.

Reactions: MAZ
Apr 29, 2011

I'm fine with this as long as they allow another park to buy them.  Fire Dragon is one of my favorite coasters and I'd hate to see it just disappear forever.  They can even sell them individually.  I really hope Universal puts them up for sale.

And as shocking as this may seem to many, I'm actually not surprised the park is doing it.  The Potter conversion didn't boost the profile of the ride and it lost a ton of popularity and ridership when they stopped dueling them a few years ago.  That section of the park really needs another major attraction to balance the crowds with Forbidden Journey.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach

I'm sure we will get a lovely dark ride in their place!!!

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net

MAZ said:
Will this officially be the first 'defunct' B&M?
I still consider Hulk the first defunct B&M, and initally RCDB agreed with me, but then changed their mind. I honestly don't know what track was kept that allowed them to say it was the same coaster, but there has to be some.

Unagi said:
I'm fine with this as long as they allow another park to buy them.  Fire Dragon is one of my favorite coasters and I'd hate to see it just disappear forever.  They can even sell them individually.  I really hope Universal puts them up for sale.
This seems unlikely to me, but I am hopeful that they are put up for sale. Selling used rides doesn't seem like something that Uni would do though. I expect them to scrap it though I hope I am wrong.

Apr 9, 2013

I would have never thought this would be the first shit-canned B&M. It's a great ride. Bummer. Hope it gets a second life somewhere else.

Reactions: Jesy and Nicole

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA

So, I know this is probably just true for me personally, but the dream solution would be their re-theming both coasters and putting them in Seuss Landing.

Apr 29, 2011

Nicole said:
So, I know this is probably just true for me personally, but the dream solution would be their re-theming both coasters and putting them in Seuss Landing.
If only there was enough room. The Dragons' footprint is almost twice the size of the entire Seuss Landing section.

Apr 29, 2011

Nicole said:
You are stomping on my dream!  Now I want to look at a map to if it could be done somehow.
Don't bother. Seuss Landing is landlocked by the Port of Entry, Lost Continent, The Lagoon, and the backstage areas for the two parks. The only place near Seuss Landing that could house it would be in the Lagoon and you know that'll never happen.

Reactions: Zimmy and Nicole

Mushroom

Same user, new username
Feb 12, 2011

I've long wondered if the remaining portion of The Lost Continent will eventually be axed for expansion. I could see the Middle Eastern-themed portion of the area becoming part of Hogsmeade, but what if the ancient Greek portion became part of Seuss Landing? There would be enough room for a major attraction in the Poseidon's Fury building, and possibly more behind that for something like a coaster.

More on topic, I felt that Dragon Challenge lost its edge once it stopped dueling. Operating on their own, each side felt like middle-of-the-rode B&M inverts: neither the most offensive nor spectacular of their breed. The theming also felt lackluster compared to the rest of the Wizarding World, evident that the queue and station had been downgraded from their pre-Potter incarnation.

I think the saddest bit is that this may be the first case of a B&M permanently closing. Hopefully they are relocated, perhaps separately, so that doesn't happen.

Reactions: Connor
Jun 3, 2010
Newport News, VA

Highly unlikely that they'll be sold, but a new lift can be built, probably still for a fraction of the cost of a new ride. Wasn't Dominator's lift brand new when they installed it at KD? Even so, the lift mechanisms themselves are separate, they'd really only need to manufacture new supports.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad