Are you really scared in haunted houses?

• Of course...that's the point.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Not really...just playing along.

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
When it comes to these haunted houses, scare zones, horde encounters, etc...people always ask "is it scary?"

Well...is it?

Are you actually scared when you walk through a good haunted house...or are you kind of just pretending to be scared, playing along, having a good time? I'm not talking about startled, now...I mean scared.

For me, it's definitely an issue of playing along. I like to be startled, and get the blood going a little...it's part of Halloween. So I go to HoS or Creepy Hollow or the Berry Farm to have a good time, but honestly, I have to play along and psych myself up for it. Just like the actors are pretending to scare me...I sort of have to pretend to get scared. I enjoy it, and truthfully, otherwise, I would just walk through the place like nothing happened.

How about you guys? Have you ever been really scared, or are you just goofing around a bit...playing along?

Just so nobody thinks I'm trying to be a tough, I will now disclose that I am legitimately afraid of the first roller coaster ride of the day. Like...lightheaded. Trying to talk my wife out of it. And I'm terrified of drop towers.

Only time I've been truly frightened is when I've been able to go though houses by myself. I managed this on Catacombs, Thirteen, and Fear Fair last year and all of the Festhaus Park houses back in 2009 or 2010. It's a very unique experience.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Do I go in expecting my life to be in a real threat of danger? Of course not.

Do I go in with a level of anxiety, suspense, and dread? Sure. There's a certain psychological aspect a (well done) house is supposed to play on. Knowing that there might be an actor around the next corner. A good house will actually be built to play on these "ticks" as well. This could be as blatant as the fear of heights in 13 to something as subtle as a house tricking you into thinking you're lost, enticing panic. That being said, I hate teenage girls who obviously fake being scared.

I am definitely enjoying just walking through the houses. It is rare for me to actually be frightened by anything in them. It has happened on occasion though. It is not a "tough guy" act. I just don't react to things easily. Plus, I am hyper-vigilant; always looking for things out of place, dangers, etc. Can't help it. I like seeing the spooky stuff and seeing other people being scared (or at least pretending).

chickenking said:
I am definitely enjoying just walking through the houses. It is rare for me to actually be frightened by anything in them. It has happened on occasion though. It is not a "tough guy" act. I just don't react to things easily. Plus, I am hyper-vigilant; always looking for things out of place, dangers, etc. Can't help it. I like seeing the spooky stuff and seeing other people being scared (or at least pretending).

This pretty much sums it up for me. I just love looking at the theming.

Reactions: Shafor
On the last night of Howl-O- 2010, I went into Cursed alone. (I was the last guest of the night.) Now, usually that maze was pretty tame, but it was a different experience. The funny funny thing is most of the actors weren't expecting me, because supposedly the house had just closed for the night, but they somehow let me in anyway. Anyway to get to my point I accidentally startled some of the actors because they weren't expecting me, so that was kind of funny. lol.

When I went though Hunted alone a bunch of actors in one of the rooms assumed that no one else was coming for the night so they took off their masks and were just standing around talking. Quite funny to walk into that in the middle of a house.

It depends on where the people are hiding. If they are hiden well, it usually scared me. I was very scared last year by all of the houses except thriteen and bitten. The other ones got me good. I told my sister, who was at our house, to watch the web cam in deadline as we went through it. She did and she saw how scared I was. Then she called me a scardy cat. Gotta love sisters.

Reactions: netdvn
Blood flowing and a nice amount of adrenaline pumping is a plus but, being scared at hos is near impossible. (They have gotten me a few times) Once you go to places like spooky woods it is hard for things at a pg/pg-13 level to scare you.

PzP said:
That being said, I hate teenage girls who obviously fake being scared.

I hate the people who are crying their eyes out and saying that they aren't scared. I mean, you sobbing right next to me.:dodgy:

Ha, my Fiancee will only go into each "NEW" house once. That's it. Luckily they outdid themselves with awesome shows this year so we had more to do.

I'm terrified. I dislike germs something horrible. Anything in a haunted house that brushes up against my face especially! I thought that in 13 your numbers up that Claustrophobia was really Mysophobia(germophobia) the ground in the fetal position crying out for Purell.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad