Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 21, 2019
This is purely based on my opinion. I am also only judging places that are under the category of “restaurant” on the BGW website. I will be ranking them by food. Restaurants with shows don’t help or hurt their ranking. I would love to hear what the rest of y’all think.

1. Trappers Smokehouse
Favorite meal in the whole park is the Smokehouse sampler. The ribs and brisket are amazing. The rolls are also off the charts. Not a debate.

2. Marco Polo’s Marketplace
This place has always been good. A very close second. The chicken parm has always been my go to meal there. With a revamped menu this has become an even closer second.

3. Les Frites
Extremely good. It is ahead of o’tators because I like fries better than just a regular potato. Also there’s a wider variety of toppings. The Irish and Italian fries are fire.

4. O’tators
A very good lunch spot. Unique because of the loaded potatoes. I’m a huge sour cream guy so anytime you throw that on a tater, I’m all in. The Irish loaded baked potato is my go to.

5. Squires Grille
Solid, solid, solid. You can’t go wrong with the bacon cheeseburger and the wraps are decent. Has never been a standout.

6. La Cucina
Similar to Squires Grille but is bumped down a notch for less options. Pretty run of the mill menu. Nothing you’d go out of the way for.

7. Das Festhaus
Yes it’s last. I’m not a huge sausage guy and the place just seems like cafeteria food to me. Pizza is pretty meh. You’d be better off getting pizza at Marco Polo’s. The redeeming qualities are the AC and brews.

Last edited:
Hard to rank...ive been sitting here thinking and they all are so hit and miss day to day.

If I had to choose Marcos would be 1 because the service is alwsys the same, I get what it shows on the menu and linesare not insane.

The rest vary every day.

Ooo I like this idea! Here’s mine:

1. Marco Polo’s Marketplace
Incredible selection, good portions, and fast service. The rotisserie station in particular is my favorite food offering in the entire park - the rotisserie beef and grilled veggies are delicious by any standard.

2. Das Festhaus
It’s hard to beat the classic sausage samplers or rotisserie chicken for a hearty meal, and the German sides make the fare here stand out. Selection isn’t as varied as at Marco Polo’s, but the air conditioning helps make up for that.

3. Trapper’s Smokehouse
When the food here is good, it’s good, whether it’s the barbecue chicken, the brisket, the sampler, or the signature green beans. Unfortunately, the quality at Trappers has become inconsistent in recent years, and its dishes have been hit especially hard by the park-wide downsizing of portions.

4. Les Frites
Adding this one because if O’Tators counts, so should this gem. The smokehouse and poutine fries are meals in themselves, and most of the dishes are are delicious, unique, and creative. So glad this place was added to the park.

5. Squire’s Grill
Nothing on the menu is too special, but the burgers and cheesesteaks are consistently solid. Never my go-to restaurant at BGW, but never a bad choice either.

6. O’Tators
No hate for O’Tators here, but I’ve always found the potatoes too light for a meal but too hearty for a snack (and too difficult to share). When I do eat here, the park often seems to struggle to get the balance between the potato and the toppings right, resulting in a potato that’s too... potato-y? The best thing about this place is the delicious Annie Grogan’s stew.

7. La Cucina
Everything on the menu can be found with better quality somewhere else in the park. Until they did away with the buffet setup, the best thing about La Cucina was the access to Roman Rapids’ best coin-operated water blasters.

Last edited:
I always had Marco Polo's as top for something tasty and cheap, but quality seems to have gone downhill.

Trapper's never really seemed to be worth the pricing to me - though it'd take me out of the park I'd prefer to go to Pierce's for anything BBQ related.

Festhaus when they had the true mile high sandwich was awesome - and a good place to cool off and grab a beer.

To be honest, I've never eaten at any of the other locations mentioned here, so I don't have anything to compare with.

Reactions: shwasty
1. Les Frites - always hot, always fresh, always delicious, and the best damn deal in the park. I always look forward to lunching on those BBQ fries.
2. Brauhaus - does this count since they serve food? Great beer plus a soft pretzel plus AC plus comfy couches.
3. Trappers - amazing when it’s done well, underwhelming when it’s not.
4. O’Tators - not my personal favorite, but definitely filling and tasty.
4. Festhaus - mostly benefits from being indoors and having a good number of options.
5. Marco Polo’s - my one experience there was a bummer, with tough meat and itty bitty portions. Not eager to try it again soon.

Reactions: belsaas
  1. The Mexico Booth at Food & Wine that has The Shrimp Taco ?.
  2. Les Frites - I probably miss this more than anything else in the park. Love those fresh fries with cheese and bacon and sour cream.... mmm....
  3. Trappers - It is definitely hit or miss, but usually I can find something I'm really into here.
  4. Josephines - So much ice cream....
  5. Best Brezeln und Beer - I love getting a fresh pretzel here! Super tasty, not sure if it counts as a restaurant, but if Les Frites does, I'm putting it.
  6. Festhaus - I enjoy Festhaus well enough, but you get to eat while you watch Oktoberzest! Which I love.
  7. Marco Polo's - I've had a couple good things and some pretty bad food here. I usually avoid it
  8. La Cucina - I went here while it was a buffet style restaurant, and everything was... not great.
Special honors go out to Squire's Grill which I've never eaten at because... it doesn't seem exciting. Nor O'Tators which is never open. Someday I'll try both places I'm sure.

Reactions: Ziva and RKRCC
Only really eat at Marco, Smokehouse, and Festhaus. Enjoy all 3. Depends on the day. Hard to beat the A/C in FH for a bit in the summer.

Reactions: boston191
I'm not sure if this is a hot take or not:

Trappers should be #1 but considering how out of the way you have to move to get to the seating, how little seating there is, and how long you could wait for a seat it takes a hit for me. Mostly because the time it takes to get from getting food to eating, everything goes cold. I really wish this is the one that would flip to a "plate on demand" and pay then receive method of serving with more seating close by. I get why they don't, because a line gives more chances for someone to grab something they don't really need. But it takes a hit for me because of that.

I'm not sure if this is a hot take or not:

Trappers should be #1 but considering how out of the way you have to move to get to the seating, how little seating there is, and how long you could wait for a seat it takes a hit for me. Mostly because the time it takes to get from getting food to eating, everything goes cold. I really wish this is the one that would flip to a "plate on demand" and pay then receive method of serving with more seating close by. I get why they don't, because a line gives more chances for someone to grab something they don't really need. But it takes a hit for me because of that.

Pro-tip: the seating area behind Three Rivers and Griffon’s splashdown almost always has space, plus it has the coolest view from a dining area in the park.

I generally go to Marco Polo's but I'm not that picky. But I also have no problem with Trappers, O'Tators,, Les Frites or Squires. Not a huge fan of Grogans or Das Festhaus, but like others have said the A/C in there in the summer is wonderful. Now during CT I go there as I like the sliced turkey platter. Of course you can also never forget Josephines for an ice cream treat as I usually have to satisfy my sweet tooth during a visit at some point. Donuts work also or an occasional funnel cake.

Reactions: Dombot
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad