Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 23, 2017
How would you rank the rides here after visiting?

I’d rank them:

1.mystery mine
2.thunderhead
3.lightning rod(2019)
5.firechaser
6.tennessee tornado
7.wild eagle
8. blazing fury

After the top two, there is a very gradual drop in my ratings. 4,5,6 are near equal and quite fun. Overall, however, I did not find any of these coaster to be amping my top 10/20.

Last edited:
I can't rank them, but I loved Thunderhead, Lightning Rod, Firechaser Express and Wild Eagle (that was my first and only wing coaster so far). I did like Tennessee Tornado too, but the g forces are actually a little too high for me. I only wanted to ride it once as a result. We didn't ride Mystery Mine because the line was very long, but I regret that decision. I only got to ride Lightning Rod once, but I did love that one ride. This was opening year for it. It was down all day and then opened up just when we were planning to leave, so we stayed and rode it.

What is Powderkeg?

Reactions: Mushroom
  1. Mystery Mine - My favorite attraction at the park by far, standout theming and excellent ride
  2. Thunderhead - One of the best wooden coasters I've ridden
  3. TN Tornado - I love it, and the tree cover is a huge plus for me, I just wish it was longer
  4. Wild Eagle - Solid ride, silky smooth and pretty intense

~ Power Gap ~
  1. Fire Chaser - Decent family ride with good theming, but obviously doesn't bring the thrills
  2. Blazing Fury - Quaint and charming without a doubt, but virtually a dark ride
I haven't been on Dragonflier or Lightning Rod yet. Might be making my next visit this summer

Last edited:
Reactions: Crunchewy
  1. Mystery Mine - My favorite attraction at the park by far, standout theming and excellent ride
  2. Thunderhead - One of the best wooden coasters I've ridden
  3. TN Tornado - I love it, and the tree cover is a huge plus for me, I just wish it was longer
  4. Wild Eagle - Solid ride, silky smooth and pretty intense
~ Power Gap ~
  1. Fire Chaser - Decent family ride with good theming, but obviously doesn't bring the thrills
  2. Blazing Fury - Quaint and charming without a doubt, but virtually a dark ride
I haven't been on Dragonflier or Lightning Rod yet. Might be making my next visit this summer

Blazing Fury was weird. It doesn't have much of anything going on. At least it didn't have a long wait when we rode it.

Reactions: Natoma
  1. Mystery Mine - great all around. awesome theming, unique cars, indoor/outdoor, small but intense
  2. Lightning Rod - fast, wild, and fun
  3. Tennessee Tornado - I wasn't expecting much, but it was a good ride
  4. Firechaser - good themeing but a repeat of the fire theme, going backwards was cool
  5. Blazing Fury - I want to rank this higher for its uniqueness and nostalgia but there are too many other good choices
  6. Wild Eagle - My first wing coaster. I really wanted to love it but it just wasn't memorable or anything sepecial aside from the seating.

(I didn't make it to Thunderhead during my visit.)

• Lightning Rod— I've heard talk of it becoming tamer since its debut, but when I rode it in its opening year, it was far and away the best wooden coaster I've ever ridden and likely what I would consider to be the best wooden coaster in the world. It notably surpassed Beast, Voyage, and El Toro for me.
  • [Huge Gap]
  • Tennessee Tornado— Easily the best Arrow coaster I've ridden and almost certainly the best ever created. Smooth, forceful, and unique.
  • Mystery Mine— I love this ride and have ever since before it opened. The name, theme, soundtrack, everything is excellent... Aside from the coaster itself. It's fun and interesting and pretty damn unique too, but I find it fairly uncomfortable too unfortunately. This coaster does show the power of a great theme though, because if this was just outdoors somewhere, Mystery Mine would be trash tier in my opinion.
  • Thunderhead— I know this is a bit of a hot take, but I think Thunderhead is wildly overrated. I ride it each time I visit hoping to understand why it gets so much praise, but I just really don't get it at all. It's smooth and fun, but I rank it below many other GCIs, notably Lightning Racers, Gold Striker, and even InvadR.
  • FireChaser Express— This may be the perfect family coaster. When it was announced, I hated it. I thought the layout looked horrible and didn't understand how random flat turns up in the sky would make for an enjoyable ride. I was wrong though. FireChaser is one of the quirkiest and cutest coasters I've ever ridden and I love it. It's not an amazing coaster, but it's so damn lovable.
  • Blazing Fury— Speaking of weird, quirky, lovable, fire-themed coasters, this is another. That said, as much as Blazing Fury amuses me, I think it's objectively worse than FireChaser. I'd like to see Blazing Fury go through an extensive retheme some day.
  • Wild Eagle— Yeah, the park's only B&M is all the way at the bottom of this list. Why? Signature B&M forcelessness. For me, Wild Eagle is a an absolute snoozefest. It's not well themed, the location isn't particularly amazing, it doesn't do anything really crazy with the terrain... It's just sorta there... And in a park full of interesting, quirky coasters, it just doesn't do anything for me.
I haven't been on Dragonflier or Whistle Punk Chaser yet, but I'm intrigued by the former and disinterested in the latter.

Overall, Dollywood has a really solid collection of coasters without a single one that I would consider bad. The strength of the park's collection is the quirkiness of their coasters. Having their collection headlined by what I believe was/is the best wooden coaster in the world doesn't hurt either...

Last edited:
  1. Lightening Rod: this was a crazy ride
  2. Fire Chaser: I just adore this fun, little coaster; it makes me happy
  3. Tennessee Tornado: I feel as if this is really unappreciated
  4. Thunderhead: fast and fun, if not super-remarkable
  5. Blazing Fury: I think this needs to be judged more as a dark ride, and I think it is really cool, especially at Christmas
  6. Wild Eagle: it is fun, but not fantastic
  7. Mystery Mine: I don’t care how themed it is, it hurts

Reactions: Natoma
  • Lightning Rod— I've heard talk of it becoming tamer since its debut, but when I rode it in its opening year, it was far and away the best wooden coaster I've ever ridden and likely what I would consider to be the best wooden coaster in the world. It notably surpassed Beast, Voyage, and El Toro for me.
  • [Huge Gap]
  • Tennessee Tornado— Easily the best Arrow coaster I've ridden and almost certainly the best ever created. Smooth, forceful, and unique.
  • Mystery Mine— I love this ride and have ever since before it opened. The name, theme, soundtrack, everything is excellent... Aside from the coaster itself. It's fun and interesting and pretty damn unique too, but I find it fairly uncomfortable too unfortunately. This coaster does show the power of a great theme though, because if this was just outdoors somewhere, Mystery Mine would be trash tier in my opinion.
  • Thunderhead— I know this is a bit of a hot take, but I think Thunderhead is wildly overrated. I ride it each time I visit hoping to understand why it gets so much praise, but I just really don't get it at all. It's smooth and fun, but I rank it below many other GCIs, notably Lightning Racers, Gold Striker, and even InvadR.
  • FireChaser Express— This may be the perfect family coaster. When it was announced, I hated it. I thought the layout looked horrible and didn't understand how random flat turns up in the sky would make for an enjoyable ride. I was wrong though. FireChaser is one of the quirkiest and cutest coasters I've ever ridden and I love it. It's not an amazing coaster, but it's so damn lovable.
  • Blazing Fury— Speaking of weird, quirky, lovable, fire-themed coasters, this is another. That said, as much as Blazing Fury amuses me, I think it's objectively worse than FireChaser. I'd like to see Blazing Fury go through an extensive retheme some day.
  • Wild Eagle— Yeah, the park's only B&M is all the way at the bottom of this list. Why? Signature B&M forcelessness. For me, Wild Eagle is a an absolute snoozefest. It's not well themed, the location isn't particularly amazing, it doesn't do anything really crazy with the terrain... It's just sorta there... And in a park full of interesting, quirky coasters, it just doesn't do anything for me.
I haven't been on Dragonflier or Whistle Punk Chaser yet, but I'm intrigued by the former and disinterested in the latter.

Overall, Dollywood has a really solid collection of coasters without a single one that I would consider bad. The strength of the park's collection is the quirkiness of their coasters. Having their collection headlined by what I believe was/is the best wooden coaster in the world doesn't hurt either...

I balk a bit at calling Lightning Rod a wooden coaster and comparing it to actual wooden coasters, but yeah it’s good.

Just rode most of these today. Didn't ride MM or Blazing Fury (the kids rated MM as awful and painful, so I skipped it. BF's line was too long and there's no fastpass line for it so I walked by). Going to have to go with:

1. Lightning Rod
  2. Dragon Flier - so much fun, a perfect "big" feeling kiddie coaster
  3. Tennessee Tornado
  4. Fire Chaser - one of the best family coasters
  5. Wild Eagle
  6. Thunderhead
  7. Whistle Punk Chaser

Reactions: belsaas
  1. Lightning Rod - Fast, intense, and a definition of airtime galore
  2. Thunderhead - It has good ejector airtime, good laterals, and it was hauling when I rode it October of 2018.
  3. Tennessee Tornado - It's an intense arrow coaster and it has a good layout. Only downside, it's too short.
  4. Mystery Mine - I loved the second half of this ride. I loved the theming and overall it's a fun and a little intense eurofighter.
  5. Firechaser Express - It's one of the best family coaster. I liked the backwards portion of the ride.
  6. Wild Eagle - It's a fun coaster but there's nothing special about this. Plus, the vest restraints just tighten you up as you hit the brakes.
  7. Blazing Fury - It's more of a dark ride than a roller coaster.

I have not ridden Steampunk Chaser and Dragon Flier.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad