Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 14, 2019
And once again, someone shows up out of nowhere to post rude and aggressive comments about an issue that is largely tangential to the main purpose of this Forum. Could we please just focus on parks and rides, instead of endlessly retreading the same ground about masks and the pandemic? There are places to discuss those topics; this largely isn’t one of them.

Also, everyone needs to remember the rule against personal attacks.
Maybe if the Moderators would actually ban people who are clearly trolls instead of relying on some overly complicated "jury of peers" type system in the name of "democracy" we wouldnt have to continue to deal with assholes like these who come in and stir shit up and continue to stir shut up. I understand giving people a chance , but the amount of leniency afforded to these antagonistic individuals is truly baffling.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
If you want something done, message your elected panel members.

They are empowered to act quite quickly—someone just needs to get the ball rolling—whether that be a member asking a panel member to do something or a panel member opting to suggest the action themselves.

People want instant action when they're annoyed with another user, but those same people often call foul when others find fault with them. The panel has tried to strike a healthy balance between speed and a fair trial over the years, but if you think that is out of wack, the panel can change those rules again.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
If you want something done, message your elected panel members.

They are empowered to act quite quickly—someone just needs to get the ball rolling—whether that be a member asking a panel member to do something or a panel member opting to suggest the action themselves.
Last time i messaged multiple panel members about the last anti covid troll it was well over a week before anything was ever done and even then the dude just got a warning. I'll say again it is a overly complicated and uneccessary system when forum moderation is pretty standard across the internet and moderators can ban people because they have been empowered to do so.

I come here as a local resource for busch gardens information.
I click on the Covid Impacts on BGW thread because I like to see if they are changing any operations, policies or enforcements in light of the status of things.
What I hate is coming here to try and see what the latest is and seeing people being combatitive, ingorant and antagonistic squarely in the name of anti-science.

I know the moderation team here strives to provide the best environment possible for the niche interest group that this site serves. And I have seen the amount of effort that goes into running the associated blogs and social media accounts from the moderators/admins. I can tell its a labor of love.
What I cannot wrap my head around is why the decision is to cling to this "panel" when the good will and leniency is clearly being abused and causing a less than stellar experience for many users of this site.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Pinging @Mushroom, @Zimmy, @belsaas, @Pretzel Kaiser, @warfelg, and @horsesboy to ensure the panel is reading this.

I get your criticism, but I've also seen the advisory panel work. I believe the site has consistently made better decisions because of their involvement.

Yes, sometimes people will abuse the system, but I do believe that the side effects of our openness are ultimately outweighed by the benefits. Again though, nothing is set in stone. If the panel wants to try something new, we have historically been very deferential to their suggestions.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
In the past, the unilateral banning decisions made by the Mods sparked a massive insurrection. That led to a overhaul of how we moderate the Forum.

We have clearly defined rules. That makes it easy for members to know what is allowed and for Admins to know how to address most issues. The Panel provides us a way to deal with unusual circumstances, while taking into account the views of the active membership.

I, personally, am not the least bit interested in guessing people's intent. I have no way of knowing if someone is trolling or legitimately believes something viewed as divisive by others.

I honestly don't care how other fora are run. I'm pretty sure no one wants us to be like TPR. We run out site in the way that we consider most equitable and just. We seek to protect free speech and prevent abuse. No system is perfect, but I prefer ours.

Like any fair and thoughtful process, it takes a certain amount of time to assess, debate, and vote on a censure. For what it is worth, in my opinion, it seems to be an effective tool.

You are, of course, also encouraged to block anyone you find offensive

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Last time i messaged multiple panel members about the last anti covid troll it was well over a week before anything was ever done and even then the dude just got a warning. I'll say again it is a overly complicated and uneccessary system when forum moderation is pretty standard across the internet and moderators can ban people because they have been empowered to do so.

I come here as a local resource for busch gardens information.
I click on the Covid Impacts on BGW thread because I like to see if they are changing any operations, policies or enforcements in light of the status of things.
What I hate is coming here to try and see what the latest is and seeing people being combatitive, ingorant and antagonistic squarely in the name of anti-science.

I know the moderation team here strives to provide the best environment possible for the niche interest group that this site serves. And I have seen the amount of effort that goes into running the associated blogs and social media accounts from the moderators/admins. I can tell its a labor of love.
What I cannot wrap my head around is why the decision is to cling to this "panel" when the good will and leniency is clearly being abused and causing a less than stellar experience for many users of this site.
Speaking just for myself and not the panel as a whole. I get your frustration with this but I am also concerned about what does beyond the Covid front. There is tons of info posted here that is either highly suspect about different subjects or flat out wrong. Should we start taking action on any post with bad info? My feelings are that given the serious nature of Covid and the safety factor that the warnings on post are appropriate but I not sold on going further at this time.

Reactions: wombat96

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
It should take time and exceptionally careful deliberation before we take any kind of action else we may become numb to the consequences. Should it become simple and easy it could also become common.

Beyond that, however much anyone else on the panel or I vehemently appose what any bloviating ignoramus (I mean that in its true definition and not as an insult) say they are entitled to have well, ignorant opinions. Should not ban people because they are dullards or dolts? Of course not, that way leads to chaos. Further Who are we to judge such things as individuals?

No this takes time. It must take time. Further it must happen by consensus. If it is rushed then it becomes purely aggressive.

I will ask now the same thing I ask my techs when they propose leaving negative peer feedback. "It is certainly part of our process here at (redacted) however I suggest you ask yourself, "is my desire to help this other technician or do I do this to make myself feel better?""

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
It should take time and exceptionally careful deliberation before we take any kind of action else we may become numb to the consequences. Should it become simple and easy it could also become common.

Oh sweet jesus. It's an internet forum about theme parks.

Do we REALLY need to take "exceptionally careful deliberation" about anti-science bullies? its one thing if someone is just grumpy or just post false reports
about new coasters or attractions coming. But in this and the previous case it is pretty clear these individuals have little to no interest in partaking in the main focus of this forum and instead want to focus on the threads tangential to the pandemic and try and bully everyone who dares infringe upon their Free-dumbs by implying its the rules and the right thing to do by wearing a mask. Why should these individuals be given any oxygen if they have nothing to offer with their participation except for belittlment and argumentativeness ?

Mar 16, 2016
I’ll say the following as a panel member but also as a mod on another site:

Just PM or report the posts you have issues with. Yes, I know the perception is that “nothing gets done” but there’s quite a bit. Sites want to keep posters so often the first course of action is to warn the person privately to change their behavior.

Additionally, boards generally don’t want to be known for just kicking off people with a differing opinion. Yes I get the stakes of what’s at the core of this discussion. But it does become a discussion then of where is the line where we stop banning people.

From a panel perspective this discussions take time because there needs to be debate on appropriate level of action, there needs to be a majority in favor, and everyone generally needs to weigh in. Shockingly, not everyone is on here at every moment through the day.

Do I wish we could act quicker? Absolutely. But again it goes back to the fact that people don’t reach out to AP members to bring up issues. I don’t feel my role of AP Member is to seek out these posts and bring it up. So when you don’t say anything to the AP, you are allowing the problem to perpetuate. Remember, the AP is mostly here to help advise on fora issues; not seek out fora issues and handle it.

We don’t want to Have people act unilaterally on these decisions as well because it can easily create problems and create animosity between groups of posters. For a long time on another site the sub-forum I was the admin to thought I acted alone and many posters started trolling me. When someone else was added to helping me it suddenly died down because he/she helped in reprimanding and warning some and they realized all mods discuss the outcomes.

Lastly, and this has been highly debated before, but freedom of speech still applies in these cases. Yes we might agree. Yes I’m flummoxed that “people” still come in 15 months later; fail to see that members of the forum are pretty unified in their stance, even if they don’t like it; come in here and tell us we’re all wrong. I won’t delve deeper into my thoughts because that is more of an AP with Admin conversation than it is public conversation at this moment. But we can’t just cut off someone’s right to free speech just because we disagree or can factually dispute their claims. If someone wants to say the sky is green; they are free to despite all the evidence that shows that’s a factually incorrect statement.

Reactions: belsaas and Nicole

Ziva

fancy cafe latte
May 30, 2011
Could we consider adding an in-between measure to keep bad actors from spamming the forums while the panel deliberates? I've seen muting accounts for short periods of time work well on many forums I've participated in. Personally, I feel an ideal solution would be letting a person post until they get a warning, then muting them if they continue the poor behavior. This will let the panel discuss and decide without someone repeatedly antagonizing the rest of the forum. Of course, muting is temporary, so if a ban isn't necessary, no harm no foul. Or it could be a mute for a specific time period (say, 24 hours) designed to cool down the discussion and let the poster return after a short time away.

belsaas

Professional Shitposter
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
I mainly agree with your sentiment here @warfelg, but I think it's important to note freedom of speech doesn't really apply to a private forum. It's not government censorship, it's the choice of the owners.

That being said, this is how the forum has been set up, and while there have been debates certainly, this is where we are at. My inbox is always open.

Mar 16, 2016
I mainly agree with your sentiment here @warfelg, but I think it's important to note freedom of speech doesn't really apply to a private forum. It's not government censorship, it's the choice of the owners.

That being said, this is how the forum has been set up, and while there have been debates certainly, this is where we are at. My inbox is always open.

I should have added in the way we use it on the board. But I’m with you on the inbox always being open. Advisory panel doesn’t know what to...advise...without input from the members!

Reactions: Zachary and belsaas

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
@panopticon31, some of the things you're saying are things I've said myself over the years. I agree that this is just a theme park fansite and that holier-than-thou ideals about "free speech" and "democracy" are unnecessary. If a user is causing a consistent problem for the community, I say boot them. That's why, as a panel member, I tend to always be on the side that advocates censuring/banning a member - and historically I haven't been alone. If you message me (or any other panel member) with a concern about a member, there's a very good chance that I'll back you up in that concern. But so far, my inbox has been empty.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
All you are really doing is banning a username. Trumper1... Trumper2... Trumper3, ban them all.. Trumper 69 will be along shortly.
I am going to assume you actually haven't read through many past post in the Polotics page or your would know that at least in my case I actually lean in that direction in many cases but that doesn't mean I won't call a strike against that side when that is how I see it.

Reactions: Mushroom
Nov 16, 2019
I am going to assume you actually haven't read through many past post in the Polotics page or your would know that at least in my case I actually lean in that direction in many cases but that doesn't mean I won't call a strike against that side when that is how I see it.

Are you a trumper?..

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad