Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jahrules

Possibly the 1-millionth Pantheon thread viewer.
Advisory Panel
Feb 3, 2019
I had an interesting conversation (debate?) Over the accuracy of BGWfans reporting.

The argument essentially was that @Zachary's project 2021 article wasn't likely to be right because BGWfans is just an "enthusiast/rumor site". When I brought up his track record, I got this little gem:

Actually BGW Fans wasn't "dead on". They originally predicted the height being a lot taller (over 200 feet tall), they didnt get that right.... They also said it would be part of a new country "spain", thats not right.... They also said it would drop over the water, its not doing that either.... so while they got some aspects correct, they were not 100% accurate.

You dont have to blindly follow them just because they were right about Tempesto.

Beyond being aggressive/antagonistic; especially at the end (which I ignored): we all know that the information posted as articles here are accurate as of the verifiable evidence that is available.

I just find it interesting how general public can perceive articles like this. Especially once the projects covered by the articles come to fruition. Anyone who has carefully read any of these articles knows that Zachary is extremely careful in pointing out things that are factual vs things that are guesses. Some of the examples given are flat out wrong; others are simply down to the article being the best information that was available out the time (i.e. we didn't know until the 2021 height waiver jcc meeting that Madrid was cancelled and thus the "Madrid" height waiver wouldn't be fully utilized).

Obviously, I don't expect the general public to memorize every word of every article; but it makes me sad to see people call the reporting here any less than excellent simply because they haven't taken the time to put historic articles into context of the information available at the time.

Two thoughts.

1. This discussion highlights the problem with people skipping the text and only looking at the pictures. We carefully caveat everything and cite our sources. None of that matters, if someone is too lazy to read what we have actually written.

2. We seem to have fallen victim to the increasingly disturbing cultural phenomenon of distrusting all sources of real data, and assuming everything is “fake news.” Do all media and information outlets make mistakes? Of course they do; no one is infallible. Are there irresponsible sites that spread rumors and preference feelings over facts? Absolutely. And they are partly responsible for this backlash. Does that mean that most reporters are irresponsible or intentionally misleading? In a word, “no.”

Clearly, it doesn’t matter if some person on social media chooses to remain ignorant; it is that person’s loss, really. But the larger trends do worry me, as someone attempting to provide credible reporting to an interested audience. Also, I have no toletance for attacks on my and my friends’ characters.

Thank you for defending our reporting, BTW.

We seem to have fallen victim to the increasingly disturbing cultural phenomenon of distrusting all sources of real data, and assuming everything is “fake news.”

I too find this extremely frightening.

I think it is good to be skeptical of news sources, but to me, that means I need to read articles more carefully and pay attention to any facts presented without a mention of source/evidence.

Far too much reporting today are opinion pieces where opinions are presented as facts with no space given for counter viewpoints. Or worse, purposely skewed facts to try to prove the author's opinion.

I believe this is the same thread I was involved in. I posted links and could not believe the responses. What was telling to me were the bold face lies that were being told. (paraphrasing) "BGW Fans was wrong when they said there was a new hamlet" This if nothing else proves @Nicole's point about reading.

Nicole also mentioned this next point:
I can not remember what point I made but one woman said that she would only believe what park said and not a "fan site." To me that is like saying "I only trust the government I do not trust the press." Sure sometimes the press can shade things to their own slant, but I think most media groups try to be honest. (except Fox perhaps...)

Sad when most of the articles posted are chock-full of disclaimers stating that guesswork is involved based on the best available data at the time.
You're giving the average reader too much credit. As Nicole properly stated, people don't read anymore. Lol, there are multiple reports The Great Orange One wants pictures or short sentences to understand the world. But I digress.

Last edited:
You're giving the average reader too much credit. As Nicole properly stated, people don't read anymore. Lol, there are multiple resorts The Great Orange One wants pictures or short sentences to understand the world. But I digress.

A coworker today said something so obvious but bears repeating: you can lead our site users to water, but they still manage to be idiots.

I doubt that even if you put a disclaimer pop-up that would require agreeing you understand the amount of guesswork involved before reading the article or seeing pictures or videos, most people wouldn't even realize what they agreed to nor care.

You're giving the average reader too much credit. As Nicole properly stated, people don't read anymore. Lol, there are multiple reports The Great Orange One wants pictures or short sentences to understand the world. But I digress.

Have I been pinged? ?

Only kidding... on a serious note, I sincerely appreciate all of the “exclusives” that both BGWFans and KDFans bring to readers. I probably sound like a broken record, but I only trust that y’all break stories if there is enough substance to back it up. Yes, mistakes can and will happen, but in no way do I believe y’all would purposely try to deceive your audience. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn’t know enough about the dedication and time that is put into your reporting.

Also, people really DON’T read anymore in this world of “alternative facts”. Misleading headlines and biased articles disguised as undeniable facts run rampant these days. It seriously makes those elementary school lessons of “fact vs. opinion” all the more important.

This reminds me of the internet weather guy that I follow. He puts all of this time and effort into forecasting and creating maps for people, and all they do is bombard him with comments and questions. He’s like a broken record on a daily basis, telling these people to ‘just read the article!’ ‘Just look at the map!’ Think for yourselves. Question authority.

Reactions: jornor and Merboy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad