Property Info

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Apr 5, 2011
Re: Busch Gardens' and Water Country's Property Info

I wouldn't think they do, but if Kingsmill thinks a project will have a significant impact, they certainly have more pull than old people who have nothing better to do than complain.

Also, you have to remember that until recently, they were owned by the same people so there wouldn't have to be public paper trails.

Nov 14, 2009
Williamsburg, VA
RE: Busch Gardens' and Water Country's Property Info

I guess what I'm asking is that I always see people posting that BG can't do XYZ "because of Kingsmill." I just want to know exactly what that means. Like I said, a handful of grumpy old people showing up to a meeting is basically a handful of grumpy old people showing up to a meeting. Are they representing any "official" position on behalf of Kingsmill? Has BG been denied a permit for anything based on their complaints? I guess I'd just like to know the reality behind the "can't do it because of Kingsmill" mantra.
—————————————
BTW, they've been tolerating house-rattling fireworks at 9:30 every night for the entire summer the last 3 years. Just sayin'

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net

I don't know Shafor, you have a good point, the only thing I know for sure it the "blends in with the sky" thing. Alpen, Mach Tower, Griffon... Other than that, I don't really know

Nov 14, 2009
Williamsburg, VA

My suspicion is that the vast majority of Kingsmill residents love the park. After all, they made a decision to live next door to it and (in many cases) raise their families there. They probably have an attachment to the park that runs deeper than most of us can even comprehend.

Just don't like to see an entire community getting a bum rap that it probably doesn't deserve.

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com

Shafor said:
My suspicion is that the vast majority of Kingsmill residents love the park. After all, they made a decision to live next door to it and (in many cases) raise their families there. They probably have an attachment to the park that runs deeper than most of us can even comprehend.

Just don't like to see an entire community getting a bum rap that it probably doesn't deserve.
One vocally bad apple always spoils the whole bunch in the end.

- KM resident since 2004 :cool:

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

I think the JCC Planning Commission simply wants to see some effort by the park to reduce the alleged impacts to people living in Kingsmill (sky-colored coasters, Vbolt's entrance and exit tunnels to reduce noise, noise and visibility studies done by the park for all major projects, etc.). With that said, it's unlikely they would ever reject a proposal based on Kingsmill alone. It's also worth noting that if the park ever did get rejected on a large project, they could potentially request to be annexed into York County which, as you might expect, JCC would likely do just about anything to prevent.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Sep 29, 2009

I'm actually fine with the fact that the roller coasters have to blend in with the sky. That's one of the things that makes the park so beautiful. I mean, who wants to look at ugly colors ruining the skyline? And as for that stereotype about "old complainers", I very often see elderly couples from Kingsmill visiting the park almost daily.
That's what I want to be like when I am of that age, I just think it would be nice to be able to take a lovely stroll through the park,take in the sights, and get exercise out of it.:)

Sep 10, 2012
Nearby

Maybe if BGW had its own golf course. It is a European thing after all.

Longshanks: "The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots. Perhaps the time has come to reinstitute an old custom. Grant them prima noctes... If we can't get them out, we'll breed them out. That should fetch just the kind of lords we want to Scotland, taxes or no taxes."

Now substitute Scots with whatever you want... then hit play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RS4cwl9Af4

Apr 5, 2011

Shafor said:
Le sigh. :dodgy:
I seem to remember somebody saying something about people should be more tolerant of kids on the forums. :p

I get the noise complaint, I live next to ORF. However, I'm not going to go to the airport and tell them they should cancel all fights until I wake up.

Reactions: netdvn and Thomas
Nov 14, 2009
Williamsburg, VA

PzP said:
I seem to remember somebody saying something about people should be more tolerant of kids on the forums. :p
Frustration for obviously missing a point I restated 5 times does not = belittling and piling on. ;)

Dec 23, 2011

I thought some might find this interesting. A satellite image that I edited to show the difference between in-park and out-park property. Keep in mind the black line is an actual very real 12 foot fence. The colored dots indicate a gate or groups of gates that are typically used. There is no Gate 1, just Gate 1B, which leads to the boneyard. I would indicated the numbers of the gates, but I'd have a feeling that might not be appropriate, so for now picture!

Reactions: Planeteer
Dec 23, 2011

Nope, there is no actual Gate 1. There is a Gate 1B which is the Boneyard gate, Gate 2 is a construction entrance/landscaping gates back behind Bitten, Gate 3 is the team member gate to enter the park, Gate 4's are the gates by First Aid and the RPT. Gates 5 are Zoological gates in the Wild Reserve, Gate 6 is the Ireland gate where 13's entrance is. Gate 13 is a team member gate behind the Strollers building, Gate 9 is by the France parking lot, Gate 10 is by the Toll Plaza by Apollo's Chariot.

But yeah, there is no official Gate 1.

Sky

Jul 7, 2010
Florida
After four years on this site and two years with this software you would think I would remember to compile the James City GIS layers into a map for all of you - but no - I'm stupid and forgetful. Anyways, here is a map I made of the Busch Gardens Corporate Limit (Parcel). It shows buildings, edge of pavement (self-explanatory even though some of the coasters footprint are delineated in this layer - weird), the stream bed, and a riparian buffer (they make it to highlight the biggest chance of erosion during and after construction as well as areas for conservation for certain fragile ecosystems), and finally the exact topography for the site with two foot contours. Hope you all enjoy and I tried to make the exported map rather large, 40"-30" to be exact so you can zoom to your heart's desire.
And by the way, for full disclosure purposes, this information and the GIS Layers are completely free and open to the public through the James City GIS Portal on their site - you just have to have the GIS software, which don't come cheap. In other words - none of what you're seeing was made illegally - cause I'm a wuss that's why.

Sky

P.S. Huge thank you to Gavin for helping me upload the full size file!

Top: Topo disappears beneath pavement
Bottom: Pavement pitches and building elevations are more easily visualized.

ADMIN EDIT: Added the topo map.

Attachments

Login or Register to Hide This Ad