Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Construction start by mid-2025 as previously reported. Sounds like a long time, but it's really just the standard window they typically allow (32 months + previous mid-2022 deadline). All the rumors I'm hearing are still pointing to a 2024 opening right now.
Now is that for JCC or the FAA too? I thought they had to have 2 waivers

JCC. I'll ask @Adam to check and update you all on the FAA waiver when he has a chance.
They do need a separate FAA waver but had previously filed and received an extension on that can't remember the end date on the extension so they may still have to file another one. But the impact studies have already been done so even if they have file for another extension should largely be a paper work issue.

As of right now it doesn't look like they've filed for a second extension of the FAA waiver. The last extension was approved on 3/22/21 and expires on 9/22/22 unless they start construction or file for another extension.

Well then... What counts as construction for the FAA permit?

All these additions feel like the 90s coaster wars all over again.
Except they are fighting with themselves and only building smaller coasters that break specific records. It feels like they are just trying to make price increases look good on paper while still going with smaller investments (relative to scale). They are about 3 or 4 years away from building multiple kiddie coasters every year and smashing records with them.

So…. Constructions have to begin by 2025 according to the new permit ; so I’m pondering…….with Darkoaster set for next year… could we see a new flat or maybe a upgrade to something existing in 2024? I’m still excited about Festhaus Park getting life back in it!!

When all of this was getting put on shelf for the time being, were there any legit or reasonable “whisperings” that they were maybe... possibly... going to revisit the layout and/or even the manufacturer? I understand now that it is probably the shuttle Spire that is happening, I just seem to remember that there was talk (on here) that due to the delay, it was possible things were altering (which was fun to read). What became of that?

When all of this was getting put on shelf for the time being, were there any legit or reasonable “whisperings” that they were maybe... possibly... going to revisit the layout and/or even the manufacturer? I understand now that it is probably the shuttle Spire that is happening, I just seem to remember that there was talk (on here) that due to the delay, it was possible things were altering (which was fun to read). What became of that?
No. I mean maybe they could turn the trains around idk

That was all just wishful thinking. There has never been any indication that this project has been modified.

Not that I am aware of. I know there has been some speculation by some people that given the pre-covid timetable it is possible and maybe even likely that at least some if the track has already been fabbed. IF so it likely would be extremely costly to alter it at this point.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad