Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you think that would be too close to MT? If this was in a different portion of the park than I think a tower would be my first guess. But it's right next to MT there.

Do you have any facts to back this up? As I said above the DF area and the surrounding area that BGW owns make this the best location where the park could a massive Giga size coaster. They don't really have many other locations for a coaster of that size.
I dont know, i mean maybe it is. Why would they stick a flat ride back there. But if its a coaster how would that do with the concerts going on. Also I thought they were kinda broke to be building something like a giga. 2020 coats 25mil, then a giga would cost about the same if not more.

The star is huge and approximate on that overhead view, but it's basically sitting right on top of Verbolten.

Anything you have to walk all the way around into FHP to ride would have to be pretty impressive to justify the stroll.

How about a tower with an entrance between Verbolten and Der Autobahn. Big platform stretching from VB exit to just short of the first launch, and as wide as that area permits. Best I can do without either removing something or making people walk all the way around.

Project Madrid/MMXX overhead view height waiver did the same thing:
June-2017-Height-Waiver-Location.jpg

Compared to Project 2021:
2021-HW.jpg

Reactions: Zachary and BGWnut
I dont know, i mean maybe it is. Why would they stick a flat ride back there. But if its a coaster how would that do with the concerts going on. Also I thought they were kinda broke to be building something like a giga. 2020 coats 25mil, then a giga would cost about the same if not more.
They haven't had concerts or anything back there since probably 2012. They've all been in the Royal palace. The park isn't broke. SEAS is building 5 coasters next year and they have committed to spending at least $150 million every year on new attractions across the chain. The money is there for a Giga.

They haven't had concerts or anything back there since probably 2012. They've all been in the Royal palace. The park isn't broke. SEAS is building 5 coasters next year and they have committed to spending at least $150 million every year on new attractions across the chain. The money is there for a Giga.
Oh god since 2012? I havent been in forever. Welp guess ill jump on the coaster hype then

Reactions: BGWnut
Project Madrid/MMXX overhead view height waiver did the same thing
You'll note slight differences in the relative sizes of each star between the two. That was what I was getting at. ?

Oh, hey -- by the way people, the permit application accompanying the images below (noted here back in Dec '18) included the following note:

"Due to proprietary information that the applicant wishes to remain confidential, full details of the project are purposefully not included..."

And this is also listed as "Project Madrid," for whatever that's worth.

Yet it isn't part of MMXX. Because the date of proposed completion of work for the stuff below is 2021.

Makes you wonder what the scope of that name really covers.

Fuel for the fire.

EXLhO4C.png

2zimjF6.png

I would not rule out a coaster. BGT is getting 2 coasters and SWSD is getting 3.

You'll note slight differences in the relative sizes of each star between the two. That was what I was getting at. ?

Oh, hey -- by the way people, the permit application accompanying the images below (noted here back in Dec '18) included the following note:

"Due to proprietary information that the applicant wishes to remain confidential, full details of the project are purposefully not included..."

And this is also listed as "Project Madrid," for whatever that's worth.

Yet it isn't part of MMXX. Because the date of proposed completion of work for the stuff below is 2021.

Makes you wonder what the scope of that name really covers.

Fuel for the fire.
Interesting idea. It does seem possible that Madrid was the larger codename for multiple projects.

I think it's more likely that instead their plan shifted for Madrid from Festa field to festhaus park. Personally I think that this is a Giga/new country and they decided that festhaus park was a better location for it. They then pushed MMXX back a year (remember it was originally meant to open in 2019) to allow them to change the plans and then they moved the original idea behind Madrid to this new project.

I'm sticking with my original conspiracy theory that MMXX / Madrid was one gigantic project that originally warranted the 315 foot height restriction, and was pushed back a year to make adjustments and plan for two coasters instead.

Reactions: BGWnut
Also found in that Dec '18 application:

"Because of proprietary and confidential information, the applicant is only detailing in this JPA the proposed work that will occur in wetlands and waters."

So there is some amount of work to be done atop or near the new Rhine piers, which is of a scope and nature that (depending upon how you read it) may require additional permit approval later.

Could imply a little (tiny docks atop the piers), could imply a lot (new giga, hamlet, and footbridge between FF and FHP). I kind of suspect the latter, but that's just me.

Reactions: b.mac
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad