Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
@BGWnut ,I really don't think it's gonna make that much of a difference? I have never been on Mach Tower, and I will never get on Mach Tower. I personally don't like drop towers in general, particularly one with sketchy beginnings. I don't like that free falling feeling. (I have a very hard time on Tower of Terror, and I mostly put up with it bc of the rest of the ride and it's queue. Which I adore)

They're two different types of rides. Regardless of both of them have towers involved. They're gonna attract different types of people. Some aren't interested in giant swings, so they'll ride Mach Tower. Some are like me who don't like free falls, so they'll ride swings. Some like both, some like neither. I highly doubt it would really mess up any sort of ridership that much. (Considering MT is down half the time anyways)

Edit: wow two people got their post out before mine.

Not to get off topic. But let’s assume for a minute this project is indeed a roller coaster. Along with new hamlet and associated attractions.

One would think that at some point soon, our friendly neighbor to the West (KD) will have to respond (compete) with all the cool stuff we’re getting.

Fun times all around

Maybe it's just me, but I could very well interpret these moves as BGW trying to compete with KDs current line up. Twisted Timbers is worth the price of gate admission, alone. You also have a formidable Intamin in Intimidator. And despite people rightfully complaining about KD food prices, it's still far cheaper to get into KD than BGW.

At BGW, what are you paying 85 dollars for? To look at a non-working DarKastle? More "family" coasters? BGW needs to fix its shit yesterday. I'm hoping it does, but KD would seem to be in a better position presently and maybe for a while.

Reactions: N2588 and Zimmy
Out of my own curiosity, are there many parks out there who possess both a Starflyer and a smaller swing ride like Der Wirbelwind?

I simply don't know, and I feel as though a Starflyer would render it almost useless besides the obvious height difference.

@Zachary
Out of my own curiosity, are there many parks out there who possess both a Starflyer and a smaller swing ride like Der Wirbelwind?

I simply don't know, and I feel as though a Starflyer would render it almost useless besides the obvious height difference.
My ol' ass is just fine on DW. Any higher? Nope. Just plain nope.

I can't point to a single park I've been to that has a Star Flyer or WindSeeker that doesn't also have a Waveswinger. A few I have experience with: Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Carowinds, Six Flags Over Georgia, Six Flags America, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Holiday World, and others.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I could very well interpret these moves as BGW trying to compete with KDs current line up. Twisted Timbers is worth the price of gate admission, alone. You also have a formidable Intamin in Intimidator. And despite people rightfully complaining about KD food prices, it's still far cheaper to get into KD than BGW.

At BGW, what are you paying 85 dollars for? To look at a non-working DarKastle? More "family" coasters? BGW needs to fix its shit yesterday. I'm hoping it does, but KD would seem to be in a better position presently and maybe for a while.

I really don't think this is BGW playing catch-up with KD. Personally I think BGWs B&M trio is superior to any of the rides at KD. I do think that BGW and KD market themselves to two different groups. KD is geared more to thrill seekers while BGW is marketed more to families and having something for the entire family. If anything these moves are being made to steal portions of KDs market away from them but not to play catch-up. More to make sure that people who are here on their vacation don't decide to take a day away from BGW and drive to KD.

As far as ticket prices literally the only way to pay $85 for a ticket is to walk up to the gate day of and buy one. They are discounted online and the park offers a large amount of discounts on single day admission.

I really don't think this is BGW playing catch-up with KD. Personally I think BGWs B&M trio is superior to any of the rides at KD.

Ten years ago.

I do think that BGW and KD market themselves to two different groups. KD is geared more to thrill seekers while BGW is marketed more to families and having something for the entire family.

KD has renovated the park... adequately. They also have a ginormous kid park and built in water park. Plus, plenty of "family" rides.

If anything these moves are being made to steal portions of KDs market away from them but not to play catch-up. More to make sure that people who are here on their vacation don't decide to take a day away from BGW and drive to KD.

As far as ticket prices literally the only way to pay $85 for a ticket is to walk up to the gate day of and buy one. They are discounted online and the park offers a large amount of discounts on single day admission.

That's the goddamned ticket price. I don't care if every fast food joint from Charlotte to DC has discount coupons. The price is the price.

Again, I don't see BGW stealing anything from KD in the near future. I'm not saying BGW isn't the preferred park, but what I am saying is if anyone has been eating the others lunch, its KD taking BGWs business in recent times.

They only charge what the market will support. They ain't Disney. Which is why I see the 2021 being some sort of Hamlet with revenue generating locations. They probably can't raise season ticket prices much more, so they have to some sort of ROI in-park.

In regards to KD, they should offer "different" and not go toe-to-toe. The ol' "BGW has to have a giga because KD has one" just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I do think that BGW and KD market themselves to two different groups.

This is a fairly recent change though IMO. We don't have to look back far to see a time when BGW was adding industry leading thrill rides one after the other.

I would hypothesize that BGW was unwittingly cornered into the family market by big, successful plays for the thrill sector made by Kings Dominion.

Throughout BGW's history I think they've made it clear that they want the whole pie, not a piece of it. Their recent moves seem to point to an attempt to regain some of the market share they lost over the last decade or two.

Ten years ago.

KD has renovated the park... adequately. They also have a ginormous kid park and built in water park. Plus, plenty of "family" rides.

That's the goddamned ticket price. I don't care if every fast food joint from Charlotte to DC has discount coupons. The price is the price.

Again, I don't see BGW stealing anything from KD in the near future. I'm not saying BGW isn't the preferred park, but what I am saying is if anyone has been eating the others lunch, its KD taking BGWs business in recent times.

We will just have to agree to disagree because I think you are way off base on these. I have a membership to BGW and a pass to KD because I like them both but in my opinion BGW is far the superior park.

They only charge what the market will support. They ain't Disney. Which is why I see the 2021 being some sort of Hamlet with revenue generating locations. They probably can't raise season ticket prices much more, so they have to some sort of ROI in-park.

In regards to KD, they should offer "different" and not go toe-to-toe. The ol' BGW has to have a giga because KD has one just doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think that BGW should have something just because KD has something. I'm just trying to make the point that KD or BGW having something shouldn't preclude the other from building one.

I legit think this is a hamlet.

New area with a tower ride and a family/intermediate coaster. Would be an excellent addition.

Reactions: SLC Headache
I think BGW is the superior park as well. But I'm not a BGW apologist. They've literally fucked up in every way possible over the last 8 years, maybe more. To add insult to injury, they jack...jack...JACKED up their ticket prices like they have a magical rodent in their back pocket. So basically we're paying for their mistakes.

I hope MMXX is a great ride. I hope they open a new hamlet or wow us with a starflyer. Hell, I'd be happy if they just fix all their broke dick rides and did nothing else. But it's been at a point for a while now where I don't see any reason to drive an hour further to BGW when KD is closer and they stand on at least equal footing.

This is a fairly recent change though IMO. We don't have to look back far to see a time when BGW was adding industry leading thrill rides one after the other.

I would hypothesize that BGW was unwittingly cornered into the family market by big, successful plays for the thrill sector made by Kings Dominion.

Throughout BGW's history I think they've made it clear that they want the whole pie, not a piece of it. Their recent moves seem to point to an attempt to regain some of the market share they lost over the last decade or two.

All excellent points. I do agree that BGW has lost ground on the thrill seeker portion of the pie lately. I do think that these new rides are being built to attract more of that price of the pie. I just disagree that BGW is playing catch-up with KD across the board because overall BGW is the superior park IMO.

I think BGW is the superior park as well. But I'm not a BGW apologist. They've literally fucked up in every way possible over the last 8 years, maybe more. To add insult to injury, they jack...jack...JACKED up their ticket prices like they have a magical rodent in their back pocket. So basically we're paying for their mistakes.

I hope MMXX is a great ride. I hope they open a new hamlet or wow us with a starflyer. Hell, I'd be happy if they just fix all their broke dick rides and did nothing else. But it's been at a point for a while now where I don't see any reason to drive an hour further to BGW when KD is closer and they stand on at least equal footing.
I can certainly understand that sentiment. If I lived in a similar area to you, I would definitely consider KD good enough to save the hour most of the time.

Reactions: UncleDuncan
This. This is exactly what I was describing earlier.

Doesn’t require a new hamlet. No extra long walk into FHP. Much more palatable way to follow up a gigantic roller coaster installation. Uses space that otherwise is currently vacant (-ish) and hemmed in to such a degree that if it were to be used for anything, it would have to be something tall rather than wide.

And since the entire kiddie bumper cars area becomes the queue house, the amount of elevated pedestrian platform construction required is significantly reduced.

I would miss the concept of the “bumper car complex” though, if the kiddie ones were removed and only the big ones remained. Having two sets of cars next to each other under one roof was always kinda cool, even if I was already too tall for the kiddie cars the very first time I visited the park in 1985.

Don't forget the amazing shows!

Reactions: UncleDuncan
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad