Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see the two balloons up behind for Bolts show building today? Their placement is interesting. Seem to be fairly close together with one being progressively shorter.
Maybe a flat being put somewhere later on? Possibly a star flyer or something?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Yes it was seriously looked at. The plans reevaluated and they looked at other manufacturers. My understanding is that they decided it was more important to have Darkoaster open next after Pantheon and pushed this to 2024. Then the looking into other manufacturers solidified their plans for 2025 plans and decided to move forward with this project instead of redoing it.

I will say that until they actually start construction that it's possible that they can't change. We only got Finnegan's because of a late change of plans to Madrid to Pantheon/DS that meant that the ride couldn't happen by 2019.

Yes it was seriously looked at. The plans reevaluated and they looked at other manufacturers. My understanding is that they decided it was more important to have Darkoaster open next after Pantheon and pushed this to 2024. Then the looking into other manufacturers solidified their plans for 2025 plans and decided to move forward with this project instead of redoing it.

I will say that until they actually start construction that it's possible that they can't change. We only got Finnegan's because of a late change of plans to Madrid to Pantheon/DS that meant that the ride couldn't happen by 2019.
Before I get to into this post: I know, I know, what the people say online is not indicative of the broader populous.

That said.

The general response online seems to indicate that this attraction isn’t being that well received. Kinda disappointing that it’s been leaked for this long, has seen that kinda “backlash” and they still are moving forwards with it.

Before I get to into this post: I know, I know, what the people say online is not indicative of the broader populous.

That said.

The general response online seems to indicate that this attraction isn’t being that well received. Kinda disappointing that it’s been leaked for this long, has seen that kinda “backlash” and they still are moving forwards with it.
I don't think I agree with you that it's seen backlash like that. It is what it is. I think most would prefer a more complete giga, but it really is an efficient use of space and quite the bonus in addition to pantheon.

Reactions: bill s

The ride isn't being built for the people complaining about it online though. It's simply designed to be an incredibly cost-efficient way to reach some tremendously marketable numbers that are typically well out of reach for all but the absolute top tier amusement parks.

There are things I'd very much like to see changed about Drachen Spire of course. That said, I do see its value to the park's lineup and I do think that, as designed, it would quickly become one of the most iconic coasters out there. Just from an architectural standpoint, the spike is legitimately unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.

Lastly I'll say that if the balloon test we saw the other day is actually for a second coaster project in Festhaus Park, I think the thoosies will forgive BGW for Spire's gimmickiness pretty quickly...

Last edited:
Lastly I'll say that if the balloon test we saw the other day is actually for a second coaster project in Festhaus Park, I think the thoosies will forgive BGW for Spires gimmickiness pretty quickly...

Watch it be for a gentle ride like a giant Ferris wheel sort of thing

• Haha
Reactions: tursiops
The ride isn't being built for the people complaining about it online though. It's simply designed to be an incredibly cost-efficient way to reach some tremendously marketable numbers that are typically well out of reach for all but the absolute top tier amusement parks.

There are things I'd very much like to see changed about Drachen Spire of course. That said, I do see its value to the park's lineup and I do think that, as designed, it would quickly become one of the most iconic coasters out there. Just from an architectural standpoint, the spike is legitimately unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.

Lastly I'll say that if the balloon test we saw the other day is actually for a second coaster project in Festhaus Park, I think the thoosies will forgive BGW for Spires gimmickiness pretty quickly...
I don’t disagree. Hence I put a qualifier out there at the start.

But just having the time to sit back, look at their plans, that they are still coming back to this being the best option feels like…almost like they aren’t giving too much consideration to other options.

I don’t disagree. Hence I put a qualifier out there at the start.

But just having the time to sit back, look at their plans, that they are still coming back to this being the best option feels like…almost like they aren’t giving too much consideration to other options.
The thing is this IS the other option. They had planned a massive giga coaster with a full layout, and they decided that the moeny was better spent with 2 coasters. One getting the layout and the other getting the >300ft height. I'm pretty certain they are getting a hella a deal on this for what they are getting. At the end of the day, you look at what seas has been adding and this is so so so in line with their brand over the last 4-5 years. With a new attraction every year the days of seeing the massive coasters like apollo, alpengiest and griffon are in the rearview mirror. The cost of DS and Pantheon is probably close to what Madrid was. And seeing as that will cover two years worth of two rides, there's no way that doesn't happen...for better or for worse.

Their measurement of "the best option" for this project really is honestly likely just "what option gets us the tallest and fastest for $[budget]?"

It don't think that thought process creates great coasters, but I also accept that sometimes it will produce the best coaster for a park's specific need. Pantheon is a great coaster, but its marketability is limited. Drachen Spire was always the marketable half of the duo and with good reason—it would be the tallest and fastest coaster not just in the Mid-Atlantic, but in the entire southern half of the United States. It would likely be the 6th fastest coaster in the world with the 4th longest drop. It would have the world's tallest backwards drop and be the world's tallest and fastest shuttle coaster.

If you're trying to sell BGW as a Cedar Point-eque destination park for coasters, Spire represents an INCREDIBLE value. Pair the insane marketability and iconic visual appearance of Spire with the park's existing (and future) lineup of legitimately great coasters, and BGW's collection legitimately starts to look like one of the most compelling in the country.

That said.

What you don't understand is that they are specifically still building this ride because @Zachary thinks it's a terrible idea.

Apparently we all missed something! All joking aside, this is floating around on Facebook. SmartSelect_20220424-190151_Chrome.jpg
Credits to everyone as seen.

Apparently we all missed something! All joking aside, this is floating around on Facebook. View attachment 26630
Credits to everyone as seen.
The main problem I have with this concept (I watched the Theme Park Predictions video on it) is that turn over the water. That would require some serious work to be done, and would also likely require a super large amount of convincing to get it approved. The height is fine- it’s the part with the water. That would be a lot of disturbance that would be happening and would affect the Rhine River Cruise as well- they wouldn’t be able to run it at all with it under construction.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad