Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
I still really like the idea of figuring out a way to convert the catering area into a beer garden with a side entrance into Das Festhaus, points if they make it more oriented towards other beverages and theme the area as either a different part of Germany if not a whole other country (Belgium?)
I can't remember if I said it here, but I'd like to see Norway with a Viking theme. Remember that Invadr is already themed to a Viking invasion of New France. Maybe also theming to the Norse Gods.

Nothing like some good ole revisionist history

Instead of clogging up the Pantheon thread BGWnut intimated there is a chance because of the pandemic delays and delay of Pantheon that SEAS may be working out with Intamin to allocate the funds for DrachenSpire to a different park in the chain and utilize a different manufacturer for BGW. Partially because BGW is very jealous of all the attention BGT has gotten over IronGwazi.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another pair of twins?

I don't want to sound too optimistic here, but, historically, whenever someone has sighted a height survey balloon over BGW, it has ALWAYS been for a new attraction. Every time we theorize it could be fireworks, a cell tower, [insert other option here], but every last time thus far it has always been for a ride. This time it really could be [insert other thing here] of course—there's always a first time for everything. That said, when we see a height balloon, judging by historical precedent, we should be taking notice.

The location of this balloon seems very likely to be in Festhaus Park. It looks very similar to the one conducted for the original Drachen Spire height waiver:

2021-HW-199.jpg

Given the difference in perspective of the two photos, it's hard for me to estimate the height comparison between them.

That said, my first impression of @AIR's photo is that it is incredibly high—possibly even unrealistically high—but I thought the same about the first Drachen Spire height survey too—and we all see how that turned out.

Last edited:
that balloon sure looks like 355 feet to me, and in a similar location to where DS spike was going to be

that balloon sure looks like 355 feet to me, and in a similar location to where DS spike was going to be
Would take some work, but looks like based on the coordinates of @AIR 's photo (at least 2 traffic lights closer), and angle (in a car rather than raised over the roadway); I do think it's very possible that this is a balloon test. I would summarize that 1 of 2 things is possible. DF is still very much alive and they need to re-up on FAA requirements because they will be expiring soon -OR- they completely changed plans and need to redo everything with the site.

so you're saying theres a chance......
I mean...it's a guess. Nothing more. I think I would lean more towards the first of just needing to re-submit something to the FAA. IIRC that permit stated that construction had to start by Aug 2021, so if this is a line of sight test, this is possibly a good sign that we will see this project possibly ground break in the next 18 months.

The FAA waiver was already extended and, as far as I know, the FAA doesn't need sight line information. Typically these surveys are done for the benefit of the county approval process I believe. If this is Spire, this could mean that the highest point has moved or changed in height and the park will need to amend their current waiver or file for a whole new one.

Alternatively this could not be Spire (or an attraction) at all.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad