Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Coaster Takes

Food and Wine Connoisseur
Aug 3, 2017
Raleigh, NC.
Instead of clogging up the Pantheon thread BGWnut intimated there is a chance because of the pandemic delays and delay of Pantheon that SEAS may be working out with Intamin to allocate the funds for DrachenSpire to a different park in the chain and utilize a different manufacturer for BGW. Partially because BGW is very jealous of all the attention BGT has gotten over IronGwazi.

Another pair of twins?

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
I don't want to sound too optimistic here, but, historically, whenever someone has sighted a height survey balloon over BGW, it has ALWAYS been for a new attraction. Every time we theorize it could be fireworks, a cell tower, [insert other option here], but every last time thus far it has always been for a ride. This time it really could be [insert other thing here] of course—there's always a first time for everything. That said, when we see a height balloon, judging by historical precedent, we should be taking notice.

The location of this balloon seems very likely to be in Festhaus Park. It looks very similar to the one conducted for the original Drachen Spire height waiver:

2021-HW-199.jpg

Given the difference in perspective of the two photos, it's hard for me to estimate the height comparison between them.

That said, my first impression of @AIR's photo is that it is incredibly high—possibly even unrealistically high—but I thought the same about the first Drachen Spire height survey too—and we all see how that turned out.

Last edited:

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
that balloon sure looks like 355 feet to me, and in a similar location to where DS spike was going to be
Would take some work, but looks like based on the coordinates of @AIR 's photo (at least 2 traffic lights closer), and angle (in a car rather than raised over the roadway); I do think it's very possible that this is a balloon test. I would summarize that 1 of 2 things is possible. DF is still very much alive and they need to re-up on FAA requirements because they will be expiring soon -OR- they completely changed plans and need to redo everything with the site.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
so you're saying theres a chance......
I mean...it's a guess. Nothing more. I think I would lean more towards the first of just needing to re-submit something to the FAA. IIRC that permit stated that construction had to start by Aug 2021, so if this is a line of sight test, this is possibly a good sign that we will see this project possibly ground break in the next 18 months.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
The FAA waiver was already extended and, as far as I know, the FAA doesn't need sight line information. Typically these surveys are done for the benefit of the county approval process I believe. If this is Spire, this could mean that the highest point has moved or changed in height and the park will need to amend their current waiver or file for a whole new one.

Alternatively this could not be Spire (or an attraction) at all.

Last edited:

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
The FAA waiver was already extended and, as far as I know, the FAA doesn't need sight line information. Typically these surveys are done for the benefit of the county approval process I believe. That could mean that the highest point has moved or changed in height and the park will need to amend their current waiver or file for a whole new one.
Completely forgot that the FAA waiver was extended. I find the changed height hard pressed because 355 feet is really tall and they can easily come up short of it. I’d be more willing to bet it’s moved. Maybe this is the end of DF? Maybe it’s a revamped DF?

Login or Register to Hide This Ad