Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
For all of the guests viewing this thread, yeah, sorry, you have to log in to view these photos. If you want to make an account, download them, and share them on social media, your website, or however else, feel free to do so—just please make sure to provide credit and link back to this thread. Thanks for understanding and thanks for reading! ❤️

Yesterday Fun Spot posted a video revealing some new details about the RMC I-Box coaster heading to Fun Spot Atlanta next year. Reddit user, u/TDChrisGo, posted a nice summary of what they announced, here. I'll quote his post below:

The owner of fun spot has made a video regarding major details, and these were some of the key points:

• The Atlanta sports theme unfortunately fell through, now being themed to the history of Georgia and America
  • Supports will be white, one rail will be red and the other blue
  • The owner has stated “this is no kiddie coaster, this will be a world class coaster.”
  • Ground has been broken on-site

TDChrisGo's last point really struck me though... This coaster has already broken ground...? That tells me one thing: There's probably a public records paper trail for someone to follow. So anyway, I went looking and found exactly what I anticipated.

Recently, Fun Spot Atlanta filed paperwork with Fayette County, Georgia requesting a zoning change to enable the park to pursue future expansion opportunities. Most of the submission is pretty boring, but Fun Spot's proposal did include an incredibly informative site plan. This master plan outlines two large areas of the property slated for possible future development and, most enticingly, features the rough, overhead layout for the 2022 RMC coaster the park has been teasing lately.

First up, the full site plan. It's actually labeled pretty thoroughly so I won't spend too much time on it, but there are a lot of "Proposed" elements to look over. Thee most notable being the two "Future Development" pads and the new coaster, of course. I'll provide closer views of those in a moment.

Full Site Plan.png

Next up are the two large proposed expansion pads. Both of these are roughly the size of the current Fun Spot Atlanta park area. It will almost certainly take many years for Fun Spot Atlanta to develop all of this land, but the important thing here is that the park is theoretically capable of tripling in size without any trouble.

Future Park Development Pad 1.png

Future Park Development Pad 2.png

And then, of course, the thing you're all here for, the RMC I-Box layout. It's hard to know exactly how accurate this diagram is, but, considering how recently it was filed with the county and given that the park has apparently already broken ground on the project, it should be very close to the final product I'd imagine.

Coaster Site Plan.png

Though I'm not going to do a ton of analysis here like I would if I were writing for BGWFans or KDFans, I'll toss out a few things I notice right off the bat:
  • The boxed out areas of track are likely areas with catwalks or something to that effect. That estimation is based on the existence of boxed out track leading into one of the two buildings at the bottom corner of the layout. I imagine that's the final brake run. Based on the catwalk assumption, it seems likely that the boxed out area of the track to the left of the station and maintenance buildings is this ride's lift hill (or launch, who knows, it's anyone's guess I suppose).
  • The squares that appear along the lower potion of the track's layout are odd. It seems likely to me that they're particularly large foundations—possibly for a large truss support structure à la Goliath (SFGAm) or Iron Gwazi.
  • The leftmost point of the layout clearly appears to be an inversion—presumably an Immelmann or a Dive Loop. Interestingly, this segment also features those large rectangles. Could this portion be supported by a metal truss structure too...?
  • Leading back parallel to what I believe is the lift, the track bisects two more of those large rectangles. Once again, assuming those are large truss structure footers, this could be interpreted as an inverted stall parallel to the lift structure just like Goliath at Six Flags Great America features.
  • The rest of the layout gives us essentially no context clues to work with. One interesting detail though is that it looks like this coaster will either go over or through the large building towards the north end of the site. This is more clear in the composite imagine I've put together below.
Composite Coaster Plan.png

And lastly, I'll leave you all with an overlaid view of the entire property with the new site plan overlaid in place. This does a good job of showing just how much land Fun Spot has to work with in Atlanta.

Composite Full Site.png

Based on the total length as illustrated looks like a mid size coaster. It's roughly the same length as TT. Could be significantly taller, but I wouldnt expect much more than about 150ft. Also launched isn't out of the question but I do wonder about the operating costs and install cost for such a coaster at a Fun Spot park so I wouldn't expect it.

EDIT: also similar in ground length to Goliath so it could be a variety of heights, but around 3000ft seems likely.

Last edited:
Looks like it goes up the lift alongside parcel one and drops down, does a raven turn or something of that sort, and runs back alongside the lift and makes a wide left turn to the rest of the layout. Maybe a couple of crossovers? 3-4 inversions?

What is honestly more interesting to me is just how much space FSAA has to expand in the future, easily could be the largest FSA in a couple of years.

I'm pretty sure RMC has never made an Immelman or raven turn with IBox*, only Raptor. They say their innovative elements are partially due to avoiding high G forces on hybrid coasters (no loops). It might be the drop is a noninverting half-loop, as that would crest slowly rather than with airtime or an inversion. I don't see any little wrinkles in the course that would indicate inversions, but the whole layout could be a placeholder.

Doesn't look to use much of their plentiful land. Visibility from a major road is extreme, people will be dropping by and riding this that don't even know Twisted Cyclone exists.

* EDIT: actually there's a dive loop on Goliath, which is Topper track. It does flip a bit later than the one in the animation below and probably enters with less speed. But they've said there won't be any full loops.

Last edited:
Based on the total length as illustrated looks like a mid size coaster. It's roughly the same length as TT. Could be significantly taller, but I wouldnt expect much more than about 150ft. Also launched isn't out of the question but I do wonder about the operating costs and install cost for such a coaster at a Fun Spot park so I wouldn't expect it.

EDIT: also similar in ground length to Goliath so it could be a variety of heights, but around 3000ft seems likely.
Mngmnt has confirmed to me that it is not a launch coaster.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
Excellent photo! Are you a Fun Spot Atlanta local? If so, I'd be super cool to see construction updates on this thing!

Reactions: Nicole
Somebody wrote that the coaster information was "leaked " I'd say no it wasn't. Somebody did their research and found the public documents. I was trying to do the same thing, but took the building permits route and came up empty. Although I knew they were having rezoning hearings, it didn't dawn on me to search that direction. Kudos to the researcher.

Calling public records discoveries like this "leaks" is probably slightly hyperbolic, but given the definition of leaked ("to become known despite efforts at concealment"), I don't think it's inaccurate. Sometimes being a little clickbaity is justified in my opinion.

I'm glad you were watching the building permits down there! Given the work that is going on, it seems like one should exist already though...?

Reactions: panopticon31
Calling public records discoveries like this "leaks" is probably slightly hyperbolic, but given the definition of leaked ("to become known despite efforts at concealment"), I don't think it's inaccurate. Sometimes being a little clickbaity is justified in my opinion.

I'm glad you were watching the building permits down there! Given the work that is going on, it seems like one should exist already though...?
I kept getting a 404 on the search, so it was probably in there. I got residential, but not commercial.

Reactions: Zachary
Coupla things mngmnt told me today
They're only working on it for a couple of hours in the mornings. (What the Hades😡)
There's been a hiccup in the process, but said he cannot elaborate on that.
He is quite impressed with b.mac's interpretation simulation. Did not get into specifics, but indicated several elements are in the wrong place. Did not specify where
Lastly, he says the layout given for zoning purposes is not cast in stone. It could be different. However, confirmed it will go over the roof of the building. Still a high possibility that 2 of the 3 mini golf courses will be removed.
Walking along course 2 yesterday and noting survey markers, in pretty sure 2 courses are out. The employee parking lot is out and will be relocated to the paved parking noted on the drawings to the rear of the building. Said demolition of mini golf course one could begin early as next week. Transposing that to Fun Spot time, means probably at least 3 weeks. They are slow as molasses.
Maybe TMI, but that's what I've got. Nothing worthy of a new picture yet.

Coupla things mngmnt told me today
They're only working on it for a couple of hours in the mornings. (What the Hades😡)
There's been a hiccup in the process, but said he cannot elaborate on that.
He is quite impressed with b.mac's interpretation simulation. Did not get into specifics, but indicated several elements are in the wrong place. Did not specify where
Lastly, he says the layout given for zoning purposes is not cast in stone. It could be different. However, confirmed it will go over the roof of the building. Still a high possibility that 2 of the 3 mini golf courses will be removed.
Walking along course 2 yesterday and noting survey markers, in pretty sure 2 courses are out. The employee parking lot is out and will be relocated to the paved parking noted on the drawings to the rear of the building. Said demolition of mini golf course one could begin early as next week. Transposing that to Fun Spot time, means probably at least 3 weeks. They are slow as molasses.
Maybe TMI, but that's what I've got. Nothing worthy of a new picture yet.

That wasn't my interpretation, that was someone else's I found via youtube sleuthing.

Reactions: JudgeKnot
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad