Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I don't think KD went to all that trouble to tease out 6 GPS coordinates and place 6 custom posters related to ancient civilizations and their temples/cities just to give a general environment theme for Tumbili and the base camp with a revamped restaurant and gift shop.

That being said, Tumbili and the revamped restaurant and gift shop are the 2022 headliners. I could see up to 3 existing attractions get a new name/general theming for next year (Best bets, Avalanche, Scrambler, and Stunt Coaster).

** IF ** there was a potential for another ride attraction next year, there might be 1 or 2 flat rides added. But, they would be of the scale/scope of the Scrambler, not Delirium sized.

Last edited:
^I mean this is Cedar Fair. The only ride they are building for 2022 is an S&S Free Spin at KD they already announced that to their investors. They are by far the most conservative of the major chains when it comes to new rides.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Assuming this is for this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Love
Reactions: Logang
Anybody think this thing will be constructed by the end of Winterfest? I can’t wait to see how it looks in the skyline. I hope the park opens up in March again like it used to with the new ride ready day 1.

Hard to say - are the pieces still in the parking lot? If not, then good chance it's at least under construction if not fully vertical.

I'd think the ride will probably be the fastest piece to construct given it's already pre-built and just needs to be assembled on site. The rest of the SV refresh will likely take much longer as it'll require full construction from raw materials which could come with delays based on available supplies and/or labor shortages.

Here's hoping VA amusement ride inspectors and the applicable building/trades inspectors keep to the schedule for signing off on it - my guess is as we get closer those documents will be the more important pieces to determine the status of the entire project.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tumbili has gone vertical!

Video is not working here. The KD Facebook site has the original vid.

I was a little surprised how much land prep and foundation/footer work has been completed since SV closed at the end of Oct. With the first vertical support in place, I would think the structure will start to be visible just before Christmas? Might need to get to the park for Winterfest and see if anything is visible from the Nativity stage area. Though I don't think I can get there until the weekend before Christmas (12/18-12/19).

The only reason I could see to be more excited for a Top Spin vs a FreeSpin is the increasing rarity of Top Spins.

I, for one, really do think Tumbili is a straight improvement over The Crypt though. Like @Mushroom said, from an uptime and guest comfort perspective, but also just from a visual and marketability perspective. It just seems essentially universally better while still filling a similar ride experience niche.

If this thing actually operates, it already has a leg up over Crypt.

If it doesn't crush every male guest's balls it will also be better in my book.
The only reason I could see to be more excited for a Top Spin vs a FreeSpin is the increasing rarity of Top Spins.

I, for one, really do think Tumbili is a straight improvement over The Crypt though. Like @Mushroom said, from an uptime and guest comfort perspective, but also just from a visual and marketability perspective. It just seems essentially universally better while still filling a similar ride experience niche.
Admittedly I didn't ride it very often, but when I did, I didn't seem to have many issues, Might have something to do with being a slim rider though? Certainly with the maintenance it's time had come. I think I just really appreciated Crypt as not just a top spin, but also a rather well themed one. At least Phantasialand still has theirs...

The Crypt was definitely one of the most visually impressive rides in a regional theme park. When they worked, the fire, water, fog, and music created such a spectacular production. The ride was probably more fun to watch than to ride.

Although Tumbili, by nature of being a roller coaster instead of a flat ride that can be programmed into a dramatic production, might not have the same fanfare, I'm pleased that it's at least being made with a special focus on theming. The archaic stonework, temple-like facade behind the ride, bamboo supports, and thematic props shown in the renderings make it obvious that good theming will still be alive and well in this corner of the park. And what Tumbili will lack in Crypt's production value, it may make up for with the constant kinetic energy of cars spinning through the layout.

Short of adding another flat into Crypt's exact footprint and basically reusing the same special effects, I think Tumbili is as much as I could've hoped for as a spiritual successor to The Crypt from a thematic standpoint.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad