Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

b.mac

huh?
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
A recent application and public notice were submitted to South Whitehall Township regarding the development of a new attraction for Dorney Park. The link to the plan sheet itself can be found here, the public notice here. The plan shows an outline of the pathways and attractions in the corner of the park that houses Possessed and the now defunct Stinger. These plans show Zephyr and the Cedar Creek Flyers but oddly enough, no Possessed...

The public notice calls for the attraction to be 106 feet tall, and the layout itself shows that it isn't a traditional coaster by any means.
Screen_Shot_2020-04-10_at_10.47.37_PM.png

This layout as a distinct end to it, a "spike" if you will concurrent with a shuttle coaster. However there is overlap in the layout, making me believe this is a coaster in similar vein to Switchback @ ZDT's Amusement Park. The look of this site plan is in line with the supporting of a wooden coaster.

First of all, I’ve been screaming from the rooftops that Dorney needs a modern new wooden coaster more than anything, so this is awesome! Now I want to address the lack of possessed in those plans. California’s Great America released a 30 year plan about 2 years ago that included an Intamin Impulse coaster. This was widely assumed to be Cedar Point’s Wicked Twister, but this could be it, and then wicked twister goes to Worlds of Fun. Of course, they could just relocate it within the park, but anyways. Great addition Dorney!

I like the ingenuity of doing a shuttle woodie, I am a little disappointed that it's not full circuit. I think a full circuit modern woodie is something that Dorney has been majorly lacking in since HurtYourKnees got torn out. I hope there's still plans in the future at some point to correct that.

I like the ingenuity of doing a shuttle woodie, I am a little disappointed that it's not full circuit. I think a full circuit modern woodie is something that Dorney has been majorly lacking in since HurtYourKnees got torn out. I hope there's still plans in the future at some point to correct that.
I understand where you’re coming from but that’s a small nitpick in my opinion

First of all, I’ve been screaming from the rooftops that Dorney needs a modern new wooden coaster more than anything, so this is awesome! Now I want to address the lack of possessed in those plans. California’s Great America released a 30 year plan about 2 years ago that included an Intamin Impulse coaster. This was widely assumed to be Cedar Point’s Wicked Twister, but this could be it, and then wicked twister goes to Worlds of Fun. Of course, they could just relocate it within the park, but anyways. Great addition Dorney!

CGA's 30 year plan is moot now that Cedar Fair outright owns the property that CGA sits on. The 30 year plan was apart of the property lease agreement with Santa Clara. It is more widely believed with Cedar Fair's new investment strategy that Possessed is going to be scrapped instead of relocated.

I suspected KD 2021 may have been downsized to spread the CapEx around to a few of the more minor parks. Judging by this new site plan, that is exactly what’s going on—and I am thrilled.

A shuttle woodie isn’t an expensive coaster at all, but I think it’s an excellent addition for DorneyPark. It differentiates itself really well from Thunderhawk, it’s a first-of-its-kind east of the Mississippi, and it fulfills the shuttle coaster void for Dorney that would be left with the removal of Possessed. It just seems like a really well-thought-out fit for the park’s lineup and an all-around great investment in a smaller Cedar Fair park.

Also, I know this isn’t revolutionary but I tossed this together in like 2 minutes in case anyone couldn’t make sense of the layout:

8A320B76-6815-4ABA-A3D9-8B1D38C98B16.jpeg

Blue is normal track, purple is station, green is lift, red is brakes, and yellow is the switch track.

For an idea of how this will likely operate, here is ZTD’s Switchback:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it should be a pretty good ride. I've yet to ride old GG coasters like the voyage. Their newer stuff seems to be much smaller scale and lacking the big punches of air and polish that other companies like gci offer.

This is honestly really surprising. I was expecting Dorney to get a modern wooden coaster sometime soon, but this was the last thing I was expecting. Exciting times for the park!

I do hope they start throwing some money at the smaller cedar fair parks. Even a small coaster added to each of them would be a huge bonus. Give Kings Island, Carowinds, Cedar Point, and Wonderland a break from massive additions......

Reactions: Zachary
And... bad news.

At the request of the applicants, the following projects have been withdrawn from the April 16, 2020 Planning Commission meeting agenda: Dorney Park Attraction Major Plan 2020-102, Ridge Farm Major Plan 2017-1014, and Ruhe Subdivision Minor Plan 2013-201

And... bad news.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Could it be that they were advised to resubmit later? Not necessary covid-19 related, maybe could also be agenda or neighbor issues that they were advised to wait out/resolve first or else likely have their request denied?

Could it be that they were advised to resubmit later? Not necessary covid-19 related, maybe could also be agenda or neighbor issues that they were advised to wait out/resolve first or else likely have their request denied?

The submission was withdrawn at the request of Dorney Park, to be put up for public discussion. It very likely was delayed due to company strategy changing because of covid-19 delaying the operating season and cutting into revenue.

i can keep tabs on this and bring in more site plans if this does continue as my dad is a contractor and has access to certain sites to view current or upcoming project around where i live. When Hershey built laff track he had all the site plans for that so i am hoping it will be the same for this

People are saying that this project is on hold due to the rona, and that makes the most sense. Really hope this projects comes to fruition, this looks like such a good ride for the park.

Just their luck, it's been 15 years since their last new coaster (that's still in the park) and the one year they decide to build a new one a fucking worldwide pandemic rolls in. Poor Dorney. lol

• Sad
Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
One of my friends thinks it's a Raptor, not a wooden shuttle coaster. The height exactly matches Rail Blazer and it would fit.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad