Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Nov 24, 2009
Toy Story Land isn't a "makeover" though, and it can only be considered "cheaply done" if compared exclusively to the best lands at the best theme parks in the world.

I've been to DHS many times since Toy Story Land opened and have personally witnessed the very notable maintenance issues throughout the land. I understand that some of these are likely rooted in a cheaper initial build-out requiring more maintenance than a more polished build-out would have, but ultimately, it's still a maintenance issue at the end of the day.

Toy Story Land isn't the best themed land at Walt Disney World of course. But it's also really not that bad. I think it serves its purpose very well.

Anyway, yeah, not a "makeover" and only "cheaply done" when compared to the likes of Pandora, Diagon Alley, etc. That's the source of the eyerolls I imagine.

Anyway, the Play Pavilion...
Ok, makeover may not have been the best word to use for describing an area of the park that was demolished and built as new.....but you can say all you want but it was built on the cheap.

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Ok, makeover may not have been the best word to use for describing an area of the park that was demolished and built as new.....but you can say all you want but it was built on the cheap.
I have to agree with this as Toy Story Land was more so of an appetizer to Galaxy's Edge in order to increase the capacity of Studios. Ever since the announcement in 2015 at D23 one could see the apparent budget cuts throughout the concept art such as the removal of the trenches on SDD or the absence of the main gift shop. Back on topic...

This addition looks great for Epcot and a step in the right direction. Epcot is still going through an identity crisis trying to decide if it's a modern worlds fair or a mix of IP's blended into the park. This Play Pavilion seems to combine the educational aspect of Epcot along with modern day IP's that fit in Future World. The placement is phenomenal in between several high thrill attractions like Mission Space and the soon to be GOTG coaster along with fulfilling a once vacant abandoned pavilion.

Nov 24, 2009
This addition IMO is so far out of left field for Epcot....I see absolutely zero educational value which was the core mission of Epcot Center. It really makes me wonder of this is a fill in to make up for some things that will be removed during this major park wide transformation so they dont get the comments which Studios has of only having a few running attractions. Think about it, SSE will be down, Ellens Energy Adventure is already gone, rumors of Imagination, and if the communicore rumors are true they will need a place for the character meets to go. Then when everything is finished it still gives a place for kids not tall enought to ride Guardians or Mission a place to run around and play while others ride. It will be interesting to see where the festival marketplace goes althoiugh I have always thought that was the most out of the way place possible to put it.

Lets see how may eyerolls I can get this time.....and im sure I can guess from what members already.

Pretzel Kaiser

Advisory Panel
Apr 5, 2011
Being a jerk about how many eyerolls you receive is just begging for more eyerolls.

If done right, play areas can be educational, stimulating, and healthy for people. As much as I don't care for the Nemo franchise, the Seas pavilion does a good job educating people about marine life.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I have nothing to add here, not having gone to WDW since I was in middle school. But any chance to use eye roll is a good one!

Nov 24, 2009
Being a jerk about how many eyerolls you receive is just begging for more eyerolls.

If done right, play areas can be educational, stimulating, and healthy for people. As much as I don't care for the Nemo franchise, the Seas pavilion does a good job educating people about marine life.
Exactly......

Anyhow, yes the Seas was done well to include both character fun as well as education even though most kids dont even notice it.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016

Yup, just because they might use an IP doesn't mean it can teach you something. The creative places my mind can go to with the IP's they have to have you learn something.

Heck this pavilion alone if they want to take the idea of using Disney Animated alone they could make the main area Ralph Breaks the Internet themed (concept art looks that way anyways):
Big Hero 6 - Simulator ride where Baymax shrinks in size with Hiro to fight microbots within a body. Throughout Baymax can tell you what things are, what they do, while Hero keeps him on track.
Moana - A show that teaches that value in believing in yourself.

Reactions: Nicole

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
I'm not an expert in childhood development or anything, but it's my understanding that play is one of the best avenues for learning. If done well, a play pavilion could easily be one of the most educational areas Epcot has ever housed.

Pantheon

Resident Six Flags enthusiast
Jun 14, 2019
www.twitter.com
I'm really excited about this pavilion for one specific reason:

There will be an interactive water balloon game involving Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad