Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Project Madrid: New Hamlet? Giga Coaster? 315' Tower?

AIR said:
There's a lot of contradiction going on with your statements

2 contradictions. The no tophat was updated information, and no vertical loops was something that I misread.

Reactions: jornor

horsesboy said:
Not recently but Apollo, Alpengst, and Griffin were all record holders when they opened.  As a matter of fact Griffin held the record for tallest dive coaster untill last year when Cedar Point opened their knew one.

And they made it KNOWN in the press release and event. They heavily marketed the record-breaking stats. And it worked. The park shattered attendance with the addition of Alpengeist and Griffon.

MadridBot's description sounds something like BGT's Cheetah Run, but with the addition of the high point at the far end of the ride. Maybe a 2nd launch to boost it up to the peak, before the return back to the station?

Cheetah Run with this addition at the far end of the ride would be AWSOME.

PrincessArlenasDad said:
MadridBot's description sounds something like BGT's Cheetah Run, but with the addition of the high point at the far end of the ride.  Maybe a 2nd launch to boost it up to the peak, before the return back to the station?

Cheetah Run with this addition at the far end of the ride would be AWSOME.

The coaster's name is Cheetah Hunt.

Cheetah Run at the park is where you see the actual Cheetahs chase a toy.

So if it's like iSpeed, then I mean... there aren't THAT many other rides Intamin considers similar enough to also label a blitz coaster. Maverick comes to mind.

Hmm, iSpeed and Maverick... a partial list of common traits:
  • LSM launch(es)
  • Non inverting high points taken at speed
  • Copious low passes and quick direction changes
  • Vest restraints
  • Three-car trains holding 12 people apiece, harming throughput but easing launches & maneuvers
  • DEFINITELY available in red

If something like that were to appear at BGW, I would hope to see...
  • ...something like 6 trains (CP style) and the dispatch discipline to make it worth having those 6 instead of 4.  
  • ...the "you've seen it before but this one's much bigger" element turn out to be a Maverick style high-speed lift and vertical-ish drop, rather than a non-inverting U shaped doohickey which has in fact been done at 400+ feet multiple times -- by Intamin, in fact. Not sure if it's always called a top hat per se, but that entire family of maneuvers is hopefully out regardless of name.
  • ...a long-term plan to convert dead-end sections of the park into pedestrian-friendly loops, instead of possibly creating an additional permanent dead-end.
  • ...the ride be utterly kickass, which it would be if it theoretically shared substantial DNA with blitzes.

Come to think of it, I guess there are other Intamin rides that qualify as blitz coasters.  Taron and Cheetah Hunt come to mind, though I don't know about them when it comes to what little we think we may know about BGW's new attraction.  Taron looks fantastic (haven't ridden it) but it is very self-contained, not sprawling at all.  Almost its own themed world.  And as for the idea of Cheetah Hunt serving to inspire super-sized aspirations at BGW... climbing a 310-foot "tree" just to do a figure-8 and drop off the other size would be, uh, odd.  Very odd.

I'm hoping for something very roughly like a giga-Maverick, personally. But substantially longer.

Honestly to me this sounds like Bolt on roids. A multi-launch coaster that's going to feature speed, transitions, and some airtime? That's alot like Bolt.

And I'm very skeptical of someone to say they know all of this, admin's have offered ways to safely share the info, and it isn't being used. Between that and all the changing of what everything is just...dunno, I've been down this road before of someone saying they know whats in the the plans and it turns out to be wrong.

If this "attraction" turns out to be a 300ft plus tall coaster I seriously doubt it will invert.

warfelg said:
And I'm very skeptical of someone to say they know all of this, admin's have offered ways to safely share the info, and it isn't being used.  Between that and all the changing of what everything is just...dunno, I've been down this road before of someone saying they know whats in the the plans and it turns out to be wrong.
Too true.  While I've never seen a park deliberately dispatch someone to spread crafted misinformation on nerd forums, there certainly is no shortage of people who know less than they think they do about coming attractions, or who enjoy carving out a slice of attention for a while as a self-styled insider, or who just prove to be flaky and completely unreliable when all is said and done.

The "I heard it from the Dippin' Dots guy" joke is about 25 years old at this point.  Plenty of history there.

Having worked as a ride design engineer eons ago, to me the irony is that the folks who work on these things for a living typically know what's going in where, and from which provider, SO FAR IN ADVANCE of even the earliest wispy public rumors -- and they're completely blase about it, because it's just another day and the information is damned near free to stumble upon.  Secrecy matters, but within the walls of a manufacturer the information flows easily amongst those who even care enough to keep up with it.  Many employees don't spend much time at all, if any, wondering what park X is getting in upcoming year Y from manufacturer Z.  

But they do keep a mean secret!

I was at the park on Wednesday last week and the tram driver let out a little 'secret' while driving from the parking lot to the park entrance. He said to expect a new Hamlet named Spain to open by 2020. Take that for what it is worth.....

Zachary has been quiet and for good reason. There's a lot of bologna here and it's smelly.

We are too far out for "station work" to begin on whatever this is if it even uses DF's old area (unlikely). Since when does a park start work (outside of utility markings) on a "coaster" in September of 2017 for possible Spring or even Summer 2019 opening? The timelines don't make sense, not even for a coaster the size of Millennium Force, which is 6595 feet long, 310 feet tall and was laid down in Aug '99, topped off in Jan 00', and opened in May. And that was 17 year-old construction methodology & pace.

We have a long way to go. I'm not saying quench the imagination, but be realistic with where it takes us.

Bring Back Questor 87 said:
Zachary has been quiet and for good reason. There's a lot of bologna here and it's smelly.

We are too far out for "station work" to begin on whatever this is if it even uses DF's old area (unlikely). Since when does a park start work (outside of utility markings) on a "coaster" in September of 2017 for possible Spring or even Summer 2019 opening? The timelines don't make sense, not even for a coaster the size of Millennium Force, which is 6595 feet long, 310 feet tall and was laid down in Aug '99, topped off in Jan 00', and opened in May. And that was 17 year-old construction methodology & pace.

We have a long way to go. I'm not saying quench the imagination, but be realistic with where it takes us.

Steel Vengeance says hi.

madmax said:

Steel Vengeance says hi.

Apples to oranges.

This is new construction. The was careful dismantling of a current ride keeping 99% of the structure, reinforcement, and new construction on top of that. Far more intense work than new construction.

One of the longest new constructions I remember was Skyrush. Work started late 2010, to drain spring creek, drill to bedrock, do footers, build over an existing coaster.

warfelg said:
madmax said:

Steel Vengeance says hi.

Apples to oranges.

This is new construction. The was careful dismantling of a current ride keeping 99% of the structure, reinforcement, and new construction on top of that. Far more intense work than new construction.

One of the longest new constructions I remember was Skyrush. Work started late 2010, to drain spring creek, drill to bedrock, do footers, build over an existing coaster.

They're using a terrain. Not exactly easy.

madmax said:
warfelg said:
madmax said:

Steel Vengeance says hi.

Apples to oranges.

They're using a terrain. Not exactly easy.

Not as hard as you think it will be. Most time consuming will be vegetation removal and foundation. After that it will go pretty fast. If this is to open 2019, I would bet they start clearing out stuff around early Jan.

Reactions: jornor and thopping

The park isn't giving me the info. A contractor that I am close with is. And I have asked him what the element will be, and he said that I have to figure it out. Something tells me that it'll be an ampersand. It is seen on shambahla. He read my message about it and usually replies if it's wrong, but he hasn't. Just some speculation, but it would be pretty sick to see a 310 ft ampersand.

That's going to take a ton of speed to climb that element, and would also be quit nauseating. Likely meaning speeds of 110+mph while turning and climbing? There's a reason most launched coasters at high speeds go straight into a hill or top hat.

Reactions: jornor and Unagi

Crap, now I'm going to have to draw a friggin' ASCII ampersand!

...If there were only some easy way to approximate that in miniature...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad