Project 2021: Pantheon

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
electrical testing as in powering up the stators, i’ll bet cold hard cash they haven’t done that yet
Usually when we power stuff up, we test everything... and I mean everything before we try to start the machine. Even before power up we use a multimeter to check that every wire goes where it supposed to and nothing is shorted. On the systems I do, this takes a matter of hours to a day. I imagine a checkout this size would take at least a week before turning the first switch on. The last thing you want is something to start moving as soon as you turn it on and crash. At this point, they are probably checking that everything turns on and in the right direction. This would mean testing the stators for the correct phase sequence and direction. They probably have a magnet set and whatnot to test it without wheeling out a car. They will go though each sensor and "flag" them to verify they are working, wired correctly, and receiving the signal back. They will also verify all solenoids are working and actuate the correct devices. Of course they also have to check the feedback from these devices, like position sensors on all air cylinders. All this testing could take weeks with this amount of I/O. And that is all after you verify communication between all drives, remote I/O racks, HMIs, and AS-I modules. Its a lot of work. I myself spent 13 hours straight last Wednesday on 7 conveyors in a warehouse, simply to get them tested to a point to say "it works well enough to put boxes on." Didnt even finish them all due to certain mechanical problems. Either way, its possible that the startup/power up testing for pantheon could take until February at this point. They can probably afford the time rather than working late to keep the project moving. At least with year round operation, we can do year round coaster watch!

Connor

fanny pack enthusiast
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Get hype.

Something to note is how the wording is expressed as just “2021” and not “Opening Spring 2021!” Seems like this grants the park the perfect excuse to open the ride at any point this year, rather then rushing for an uneventful spring opening, and allows them to use the year round events as a marketing crutch until the ride opens. Hopefully the park can smooth out any issues before the ride opens, with that switch track and the rocky relationship between Intamin and BGW, this ride is going to need a lot of time to test.

Also, does this confirm Pantheon as the most EPIC coaster at BGW? According to a 2012 press release, Verbolten has already claimed the title for the quirkiest coaster at the park, it’ll be interesting to see if Pantheon lives up to its own title of being EPIC.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Something to note is how the wording is expressed as just “2021” and not “Opening Spring 2021!” Seems like this grants the park the perfect excuse to open the ride at any point next year, rather then rushing for an uneventful spring opening, and allows them to use the year round events as a marketing crutch until the ride opens.
Originally, I think we all read the change from Spring 2021 to 2021 as a sign the ride might not open until Summer. But I’m wondering if it is actually designed to give the (false) impression the ride could open during these limited events, perhaps convincing people to make reservations or plans to visit “just in case” it opens earlier?

Reactions: Connor

Connor

fanny pack enthusiast
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Ummm, hate to be the one to break the news to you... it's already 2021.
Whoops. Fixed it. You know, 2020, 2021, same thing, different numbers, right?

Originally, I think we all read the change from Spring 2021 to 2021 as a sign the ride might not open until Summer. But I’m wondering if it is actually designed to give the (false) impression the ride could open during these limited events, perhaps convincing people to make reservations or plans to visit “just in case” it opens earlier?
I think the park views it as more of a tangible gift that will be given at some point this year, and as an incentive for members to stick to their payment plans. The limited capacity sessions proved that people were willing to visit the park during a pandemic, most sessions were still at capacity or close to, and the addition of Pantheon is only going to make that visit even more tempting to the average consumer. The park is going to wait to open the ride until they can receive the biggest bang for their buck, hell, they might even wait until like August or the Fall to open the ride, but it's just because they know it will bring an incredible amount of people if opened at the right time. The last time BGW opened a true "thrilling" coaster was Griffon in 2007, and the attendance exceeded over two million guests, some of that can be attributed to the 400th Anniversary of Jamestown, but the point is Pantheon could easily deliver a similar effect if opened when the state of the world is ready to travel again.

People have an urge to travel after being cooped up for months and are going to be wanting to stay semi-close to where they live, and depending on how the vaccine rolls out and how cases fluctuate over the next few months, regional tourism has a good chance of bouncing back before the big destination parks which will benefit parks like BGW. It's much more appealing to consumers from a health and financial standpoint right now to be able to drive a few hours, go somewhere socially distanced and with masks, maybe grab dinner outside at a local restaurant, and then come home rather than getting on a plane and making a trek to somewhere like Orlando for the week. The park is definitely going to be trying to play it safe with this addition, as the new coasters for 2020 like Orion and Candymonium, barely even made a ripple in the headlines outside of local news and amongst enthusiasts.

Aug 10, 2018
I think the park views it as more of a tangible gift that will be given at some point this year, and as an incentive for members to stick to their payment plans.
Are we not still owed at least 10 free months by the time the park is open in earnest now?

Reactions: Travis...
Sep 24, 2018
@Connor Travel is still going to be restricted for the majority of or all of 2021. They don’t have anything to wait for.
Travel isn't really restricted right now within the country. It's all mostly voluntary. So not sure that will change...

Sep 24, 2018
Get hype.

Something to note is how the wording is expressed as just “2021” and not “Opening Spring 2021!” Seems like this grants the park the perfect excuse to open the ride at any point this year, rather then rushing for an uneventful spring opening, and allows them to use the year round events as a marketing crutch until the ride opens. Hopefully the park can smooth out any issues before the ride opens, with that switch track and the rocky relationship between Intamin and BGW, this ride is going to need a lot of time to test.

Also, does this confirm Pantheon as the most EPIC coaster at BGW? According to a 2012 press release, Verbolten has already claimed the title for the quirkiest coaster at the park, it’ll be interesting to see if Pantheon lives up to its own title of being EPIC.
I think the change was made mostly because they are still uncertain with what the plans will be. They are planning on opening the entire park in March, but no one really knows what things will look like in March. I think that's the biggest reason why they changed too 2021. They obviously want to open as soon as it makes sense to do so. Just right now there is so much in flux that who knows when that will actually be.

Oct 22, 2019
I think the change was made mostly because they are still uncertain with what the plans will be. They are planning on opening the entire park in March, but no one really knows what things will look like in March. I think that's the biggest reason why they changed too 2021. They obviously want to open as soon as it makes sense to do so. Just right now there is so much in flux that who knows when that will actually be.
Yeah, I think that’s basically the gist of it. Vaccinations will slightly increase the number of guests willing to visit the park in the midst of the pandemic over the next few months, and certainly they’re hoping that vaccination gets to the general public by the time we get into July/August, but there’s a lot of unknowns in there. The situation won’t have changed dramatically by March, and so if the park’s thought is “If we’re going to invest in a full-scale ’grand opening’ of the ride to create the biggest media splash,” there’s an argument for waiting until at least Memorial Day (by which point at least a couple of million Virginians will have likely been vaccinated based on current estimates).

But having the coaster open in March/April would likely create more return visits for members, and encourage more visits during a time where the park is generally speaking lightly visited even under normal circumstances, so it’s going to be a fascinating decision.

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, I think that’s basically the gist of it. Vaccinations will slightly increase the number of guests willing to visit the park in the midst of the pandemic over the next few months, and certainly they’re hoping that vaccination gets to the general public by the time we get into July/August, but there’s a lot of unknowns in there. The situation won’t have changed dramatically by March, and so if the park’s thought is “If we’re going to invest in a full-scale ’grand opening’ of the ride to create the biggest media splash,” there’s an argument for waiting until at least Memorial Day (by which point at least a couple of million Virginians will have likely been vaccinated based on current estimates).

But having the coaster open in March/April would likely create more return visits for members, and encourage more visits during a time where the park is generally speaking lightly visited even under normal circumstances, so it’s going to be a fascinating decision.
I think that something like an event every month is something that is done to create return visits. Pantheon would be something to encourage people that haven't been coming to come back.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
The real question is when they could realistically go back to regular capacity without restrictions - I think that's what they're hinging many such decisions on.

What good does a grand opening do if the park consistently can only allow 25% of the potential capacity in on any regular basis?

Oct 22, 2019
The real question is when they could realistically go back to regular capacity without restrictions - I think that's what they're hinging many such decisions on.

What good does a grand opening do if the park consistently can only allow 25% of the potential capacity in on any regular basis?
There is nothing stopping the park from opening at 50% capacity right now (it would probably be practically closer to like 40% capacity, given the shows can’t open, but).

Reactions: Zachary and BGWnut
Sep 24, 2018
There is nothing stopping the park from opening at 50% capacity right now (it would probably be practically closer to like 40% capacity, given the shows can’t open, but).
Exactly the current guidelines probably allow like 10-12,000 people.

Sep 24, 2018
But remember, the park doesn't have an official capacity. So 12,000/infinity ~= 0%. In fact, they're always operating at near 0% capacity.
There is definitely a max capacity but the park will never tell us the exact number. But it's around 24 -26,000 in the park at once. That doesn't mean that's how many are there in a day. Just the most at one time

Reactions: horsesboy
Oct 22, 2019
But remember, the park doesn't have an official capacity. So 12,000/infinity ~= 0%. In fact, they're always operating at near 0% capacity.
When they were first lobbying against the initial restrictions, they cited capacity as around 24,000. That’s much lower than the number on Wikipedia, but it’s the number they gave us, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad