Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
These are unique in that they aren't free spinning. Rather they are control spun. They are programmed to rotate at certain points so that the cars will be able to face screens for story telling reasons.

Nope, the cars are motorised.
Actually, it's both. In this construction walkthrough video, they say the first 2/3rds they face front then back. Final third you're free spinning. (Start at about 2:14).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually, it's both. In this construction walkthrough video, they say the first 2/3rds they face front then back. Final third you're free spinning. (Start at about 2:14).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I didn’t mean to imply that they can’t free spin because they do, but yeah, they have controlled rotation, free spin, and locking modes

Reactions: Zachary
These are unique in that they aren't free spinning. Rather they are control spun. They are programmed to rotate at certain points so that the cars will be able to face screens for story telling reasons.
Yep. Here's what they said in a presentation last year -

“We call it a ‘storytelling coaster,'” Chapek told the crowd in attendance for Disney’s presentation at the annual industry gathering. “On most coasters, the vehicles point straight ahead throughout the ride, but on this attraction each individual cab will be programmed to direct your eye to the story happening around you.”

Well this is all interesting, again a totally custom design that is outside of Vekoma's normal product offering. I wonder if they will add this to their future available products. I know the train system used on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train never be available for other parks as Disney owns the patents.

Reactions: warfelg
Here's another look at the cars via Disney.

Just got off Cosmic Rewind. It's amazing, but forget Battle for Eire—This takes the crown as the sickest I have ever felt getting off a ride. Ugh.
Ah dang, I’ll be down to Florida in November hopefully to check out Guardians and tron. Was it the spinning or the screens that got you?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
I didn't get nauseous on my two rides, but I can see where it could certainly mess with someone. The rotation paired with the screens makes it very difficult to always really know which way you're heading at any given time.

I may say more at a later date, but some quick thoughts:
  • It's a front row ride BY A LONGSHOT. Always request the front. Seriously, it makes a huge difference.
  • It's HAUNTINGLY smooth. I've never ridden a coaster this smooth anywhere before. It really feels like you're gliding in a way that I've never experienced elsewhere.
  • The multiple soundtracks give the thing a TON of reridability. I got two of six, but now I REALLY want the other four. Something I haven't seen mentioned many places is that it's not only the soundtracks that change. I saw two different versions of the ending sequence with different dialogue as well.
  • I was super caught off guard by the fact that it has multiple mid-layout launches. The transitions into them, out of them, and acceleration across them though all feels seamless. That contributes to that sense of gliding too I think.
  • It's forceless. I went into it sorta expecting/hoping for something more Hagrid-esque intensity-wise, but Rewind is very much not that. That's not a bad thing to be clear—it's going to serve its target (family) audience TREMENDOUSLY well—but it is something to keep in mind for expectation adjustment.
  • The queue and preshows were rough. The fit and finish, the digital media, etc. all felt really budget-cut to me. I also found the story to be pretty poorly relayed throughout. Given how great the actual on-ride experience is, it's a shame they didn't manage to reach the preshow heights of other recent Disney attractions.
  • Despite the criticisms, I really did enjoy it. The coaster is just plain fun in a way that I've rarely encountered elsewhere. Well-themed? Not exceptionally. Forceful? No. Unique? Very. Fun? Yes.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad