Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is certainly a lot of evidence pointing towards a launch now.. With the wetland impacts and site plans we have seen already, it looked like there could be a launch directly behind Lumberhack to a spike. Now with a staff report narrative for the RPA buffer impact waiver, I'm convinced this will be the case..

20191112_120053.jpg

I find it hard to believe they would require a building associated with the attraction, directly next to the track and needing a presumably substantial electrical connection nonetheless, if not for a launch. The full staff report can be found here.

Even though this project is progressing lightning fast, the park still needs to get approval from the Chesapeake Bay Board of James City County for the RPA buffer impacts that Zachary mentioned in his front-page article back in October. The Board meets tomorrow afternoon at 5pm, with a brief public hearing on the project before the final vote (similar to the height waiver approval).

Programming note: I'm at WDW and, hence, won't be monitoring the wetlands board meeting live. It's up to you all to keep the forum posted on what's happening. I wouldn't expect much new information, but you never know if/when something new will slip out... Like the tidbit @Adam mentioned above.

Exception was granted. Nothing really of note from the meeting.

Nobody spoke during the public hearing.

The board had very few questions and offered numerous compliments to the way Busch Gardens handles these impact zones.

It was neat to see their pictures of the impact zones.

Last edited:
Looking at their map I kind of wonder if Lumberhack might still be usable. Also on that note there was no mention of removing Lumberhack's walkways which one might expect of course they could always be left to rot in place.

Reactions: The Quist
Looking at their map I kind of wonder if Lumberhack might still be usable. Also on that note there was no mention of removing Lumberhack's walkways which one might expect of course they could always be left to rot in place.
They are removing the elevated walkway (deck) portion of the path for Lumberhack, and it looks like they aren't replacing it in this current iteration of the plan. Otherwise, it looks like they aren't touching the rest (other than connecting a new staircase to the proposed building near the back of Lumberhack).

They are removing the elevated walkway (deck) portion of the path for Lumberhack, and it looks like they aren't replacing it in this current iteration of the plan. Otherwise, it looks like they aren't touching the rest (other than connecting a new staircase to the proposed building near the back of Lumberhack).
Hopefully they aren't just planning on cutting the maze in half...

Reactions: Zachary and Adam
What about this:

They are actually moving tempesto to the back where this coaster is supposed to be and the 355ft height is for a separate drop tower replacement?

Wot u fink?

I think that, in zero ways, this would like up with any of the plans as we know them.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad