News Project 2021: 15 Ride Removals

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

b.mac

Wild Mouse Nerd
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Also have to consider they removed a solid chunk of kiddie rides from Great Adventure to add Jersey Devil, so the questions would be:

1) How many of those kiddies will factor into this total?
2) What other types of rides are they talking about?

Outside of the major coasters which from my experience with throughput and downtime expectations within Six Flags have completely different minimal expectations. The major rides we should be keeping an eye on are the ones like the Larson Loopers, Xcalibur @ St. Louis, Condor @ Great Escape, and Twister @ Great Adventure.

Reactions: Eric and Zachary

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I thinking Mind Erraser might be on that lost and you know what I am perfectly ok with that even if I would have liked one more trip on the torture device.

Reactions: Dombot
Nov 30, 2018
The 15 number likely seems a lot except when you run it across the entire Six Flags chain it's actually pretty little and can incorporate small flats, kids attractions, or a water slide that parks routinely remove without much fanfare.

Reactions: Dombot

Mushroom

Same user, new username
Feb 12, 2011
The 15 number likely seems a lot except when you run it across the entire Six Flags chain it's actually pretty little and can incorporate small flats, kids attractions, or a water slide that parks routinely remove without much fanfare.
On the other hand, why even bother announcing the removal of some random kiddie rides or small flats during an earnings call? The fact that they found it noteworthy enough to tell investors, plus the fact that the decision was based on "detailed analysis of rides looking at throughput," suggests to me that these won't just be minor attractions that nobody notices. Otherwise, why tell investors?

Notice BGW didn't alert the presses when Wirbelwindchen and Eggery Deggery were removed.

Jul 5, 2017
*Waits for 2020 to announce all RMCs removed* due to the comfort you are seeking here 😂

(I know that would never happen I just like bringing up very grim possibilities for humor).

Nov 30, 2018
On the other hand, why even bother announcing the removal of some random kiddie rides or small flats during an earnings call? The fact that they found it noteworthy enough to tell investors, plus the fact that the decision was based on "detailed analysis of rides looking at throughput," suggests to me that these won't just be minor attractions that nobody notices. Otherwise, why tell investors?

Notice BGW didn't alert the presses when Wirbelwindchen and Eggery Deggery were removed.
Management is simply signalling to investors that they are being financially conservative with a very specific example. 15 rides is tangible vice $X million in yearly O&M savings which is more abstract.

Reactions: BGWnut
Sep 24, 2018

Basically what @rswashdc said. This is something tangible that to investors can feel more substantial than it might be. It shows them being commited cutting costs. I think they deliberately didn't say which rides because saying 15 rides let's people use their imagination to determine how much that is.

Reactions: Ziva and rswashdc
Dec 11, 2019
Basically what @rswashdc said. This is something tangible that to investors can feel more substantial than it might be. It shows them being commited cutting costs. I think they deliberately didn't say which rides because saying 15 rides let's people use their imagination to determine how much that is.
I imagine it will be rides with high maintenance costs and low ridership numbers. Log flumes, topspins, maybe an old coaster with a ton of downtime, could be on the way out

Sep 24, 2018
I imagine it will be rides with high maintenance costs and low ridership numbers. Log flumes, topspins, maybe an old coaster with a ton of downtime, could be on the way out
Those are possible but I think they were deliberately ambiguous about which rides because it would seem more underwhelming if they listed off which ones were leaving.

Pantheon

Resident Six Flags enthusiast
Jun 14, 2019
www.twitter.com
I'm guessing that they're going to rip out all the Super Loops. Harley Quinn Crazy Not-a-Coaster will probably go too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cyborg Cyber Spin got the ax. Those are all somewhat unreliable flat rides, and their removal would probably allow Six Flags to save a lot of money.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad