Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Universal Studios Japan will be building a Nintendo themed area. According to an article ReggaeInMyJeggae sent me:

When Nintendo announced it was granting Universal Studios the rights to some of its properties for theme park rides, it was anyone's guess where they'd show up first. Now we know that they'll debut in the gaming juggernaut's back yard: Japan. Regional news outlet Sankei (Japanese) reports that the attraction is scheduled for completion by 2020, the year Tokyo is slated to host the Olympics.

netdvn said:
About damn time. A Nintendo theme park is long overdue at this point. All 3 parks will def get some big money out of this.

It did always seem weird to me that none of the Japanese parks had anything related to nintendo or anime considering that is the country's biggest economic and recent cultural contributions to the world at large. In fact anime cosplayers at comic con have been increasing in recent years

giphy.gif

Reactions: Luke
Nicole said:
According to Wikipedia:

"Japan is the world's third largest automobile manufacturing country, has the largest electronics goods industry, and is often ranked among the world's most innovative countries leading several measures of global patent filings."

Also:
Top Ten Japanese Companies

And the point of this is because the way its posted seems to be a tastless attempt to be demeaning.

In its purest sense data is agnostic. It does not care a lick about what a person feels, it just exists. Not all data is made equal some can be validated some can not. In this case the data has a valid source, I hardly see that as insulting.

Reactions: Nicole
The Hessian said:
netdvn said:
About damn time. A Nintendo theme park is long overdue at this point. All 3 parks will def get some big money out of this.

It did always seem weird to me that none of the Japanese parks had anything related to nintendo or anime considering that is the country's biggest economic and recent cultural contributions to the world at large. In fact anime cosplayers at comic con have been increasing in recent years

There is/was a Pokemon theme parks. Other smaller attractions based on more kiddy friendly series like Hello Kitty also exist.

Reactions: Zachary
Pretzel Kaiser said:
The Hessian said:
netdvn said:

There is/was a Pokemon theme parks.  Other smaller attractions based on more kiddy friendly series like Hello Kitty also exist.

Huh did not know that and why does everyone think whenever I post something it has to be insensitive to other cultures my point was that for a product which has become a cultural phenomenon across the globe and particular the US and there hasn't been a step to turn them into theme parks before this is weird. All the while other cultural icons have become attached to theme parks most notable being Holidays in Holiday world, movies at Universal Studious including horror movies at HHN and the entire Disney line at their parks and their rides have even inspired movies.

If that is your point, then I suggest you articulate it more clearly. Regardless of what you intend, several of your posts come across as unfounded, unsupported, sweeping generalizations about other countries, nations, and cultures. I can think of three seperate examples off the top of my head.

That said, all I did was post real data. I made no comment about you or your intent. You inferred that on your own.

Reactions: Zimmy
Well okay then thanks for the post. I'm glad we could clear this up and settle and possible future contention between each other

I am a little bit puzzled by the announcement. As I said before I would be more interested in a Nintendo Park than Nintendo Land at an existing theme park.

I can't site the article at this time, as it's been several years, but when asked about the possibility of future theme park related initiatives containing Nintendo Intellectual Property, the company has been adamant that they would not put their characters into theme parks. Nintendo's reasoning at the time had to do with immersion and guest experience. They did not want to slap a Mario statue on the top of a spinning ride and call it a day; much like what we see at Planet Snoopy in Cedar Fair parks. (Not that there is anything inherently wrong with this approach)

I have to imagine that the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has had to have had an large effect on this point of view and influenced a change in decision. That being said it still brings me back to my original concern; if Nintendo is indeed so concerned with the immersion factor, why are they settling for a Nintendo Land and not a park. I can't see them satisfied with their characters being hodge-podged into an all encompassing Nintendo area instead of each franchise being contained within its own unique world.

The this brings about another thought, maybe it will be as immersive as it should be with one major caveat; we will only see Mario and the other inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom. While a complete recreation of The Mushroom Kingdom would be fantastic, it would also still be disappointing given the huge library of Intellectual Property that Nintendo owns.

I am still very much interested to see what direction this takes.

I think to the average park-goer, having all of Nintendo put into one land isn't an issue. Obviously to us hardcore Nintendo fans, it seems like a shame but isn't that different from the Cartoon area at Universal in terms of being an amalgamation of different properties.

Reactions: Mushroom and Nicole
^I wonder if Universal will be able to tell Nintendo up the ante on lawsuits regarding 'misuse' of Nintendo properties in other parks. For instance, can they do anything if people decide to hold an unofficial Mario Kart game, as is tradition on bumper car rides?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad