Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why you would say that. They are half the width of Alpie or Apollo's trains, which logically would be about 6-7 tons.
The trains are longer than both Apollo and Alpen with 10 rows instead of 8. I don't know that it's fair to say that they should logically be half the weight.

I'm wondering if the reason to use lighter trains is to reduce the forces/power needed during the launches?

I'm wondering if the reason to use lighter trains is to reduce the forces/power needed during the launches?
I linked this previously. It explains Intamin's theories regarding the new train design, including the reduced weight. So, yes, lighter trains means more efficient power usage.

I think the trains being half the weight makes sense when comparing to a couple of 20+ year old trains. More aluminum, less steel.

Last edited:
less force during launch or on a drop = terrible.

enjoyment = En
Force (F)
Velocity (V)

As F and V increase so does En.

The lower the train weight, the more of the launch force is applied to the riders. Mostly, this will be used to reduce energy requirements. But a lighter weight train will lose speed faster when coasting so they'll need to launch to a little higher velocity. Since it's multi-launch it doesn't have to coast as long as a normal coaster though.

Reactions: Le Moose
The trains are longer than both Apollo and Alpen with 10 rows instead of 8. I don't know that it's fair to say that they should logically be half the weight.
Rows alone don't determine a train's length. Apollo and Tempesto both have 9 rows, yet Tempesto has a shorter length and I'm sure Tempesto's train weight is no where near Apollo's. Either way, we were trying to determine if the shipment in last week was for one full train, or only part of one.

Theoretically, what is the closest Spot That's not privately owned Where a drone could take off and land from in the area? Theoretically, of course.?

Theoretically, what is the closest Spot That's not privately owned Where a drone could take off and land from in the area? Theoretically, of course.?

So public land? That’s tough.

I’d email the GM of Williamsburg Country Club. Offer to do some drone shots of the course in the summer in exchange for being able to use it during non-peak times to take off and land at for flying in general. I’ve done that at a few courses I’ve worked at.

So public land? That’s tough.

I’d email the GM of Williamsburg Country Club. Offer to do some drone shots of the course in the summer in exchange for being able to use it during non-peak times to take off and land at for flying in general. I’ve done that at a few courses I’ve worked at.
Yeah but then the drone is definitely out of sight at a point during the flight to BGW and back. I think that's the real problem. There probably aren't any places where the drone can stay in line of sight

Yeah but then the drone is definitely out of sight at a point during the flight to BGW and back. I think that's the real problem. There probably aren't any places where the drone can stay in line of sight

Depends. If you take off and land by the front gate/maintenance area and fly higher using a zoom function for the pictures you can keep it in sight. If you want to fly low then no.

The issue with some parks and drone flights is some could ban you if they didn’t approve you to fly over their property.

Reactions: Zachary
Side of Rt 60 also. Problem is it would be too easy for someone from the park or a cop (or worse, a random person), to see you and try to stop you, even if you are following the law. Park could ban you as well, even if you aren't breaking any laws.

Last edited:
A couple traffic cones, a amber warning light, a high vis vest and if you have a truck or a van even better......park right on the side of the roat on Rt60 and if you look official and act like you are supposed to be there no one will even question you. I know of a couple people that do drone work who launch from the bed of a pickup truck, then land in the bed with the pilot never getting out of the cab. They drive up and then drive away without anyone ever getting out. Raises little suspicion to what they are doing. Drive a block or two away then secure the drone.

Just don't drive AND fly!

Edit: One other thing about drones and the park. I know that the park has hired outside videographers to take drone footage of the park for promotional materials (Devin Olson specifically) before. When they do this, they don't tend to notify anyone outside marketing, which at this point, most park employees upon seeing a drone flying over, even on an operational day, on a non-operational day would assume that it is just another video shoot. My last season at the park was the first season they had done this and everyone at ops thought some idiot tourist was flying around MT. A few weeks later, a FB video popped up on both the Park's and Devin Olsen's FB page featuring the footage shot on that drone. Would have been nice if marketing had given us fair warning. Long story short, unless someone who schedules those outside videographers for drone footage sees it flying over, there is a good chance that even if people did see it, they wouldn't come looking for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad