Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was NOT there during the ACE event. I asked about it and received a non-answer.
I thought at the ACE event you didn't get to tour the construction site. So it couldn't it have been on property just not installed?

• Haha
Reactions: Jahrules
Ok that's what I meant in my original post. In some of the pictures from the media tour it looks like it's on property

Reactions: Zachary
Ok that's what I meant in my original post. In some of the pictures from the media tour it looks like it's on property
It could have been but the also had a small section not done to allow equipment access to the site. What you saw could have also been related to that section.

Reactions: Zachary
I read potions of this thread from the time we started seeing some significant information on this, it’s amazing how wildly apart some expectations for certain parts of construction and looks were.

Finally watched a video for the recent hard hat tour and seeing that last piece of track they are waiting to install. Anyone know exactly what equipment needs access? Just wondering if in the future when it comes time to paint or something that requires a crane or man lifts will access be a problem?

Reactions: warfelg
Finally watched a video for the recent hard hat tour and seeing that last piece of track they are waiting to install. Anyone know exactly what equipment needs access? Just wondering if in the future when it comes time to paint or something that requires a crane or man lifts will access be a problem?

I think in I305 there's videos of track crews using ropes and harnesses to access the tall stuff; wouldn't be too surprised if that is the standard way of doing it - not sure if that's only track inspection and mechanical/electrical work or they could also paint doing that.

I'd imagine there's a way to get a smaller crane in to hoist a paint crew and their gear?

I think in I305 there's videos of track crews using ropes and harnesses to access the tall stuff; wouldn't be too surprised if that is the standard way of doing it - not sure if that's only track inspection and mechanical/electrical work or they could also paint doing that.

I'd imagine there's a way to get a smaller crane in to hoist a paint crew and their gear?
Ropes are definately a option and there are even some pretty good videos online of some crews inspecting i305.

Found this today and thought it may help some understand how some of the Pantheon systems should work.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Overall pretty good, though the engineer in me says "not quite" to a number of comments on the ride. And for those wondering how the drop track in this ride compares to Verbolten's, VB is a compleately different design. Still good for those who are unfamiliar with how coasters actually work though.

Alright, I had to watch it again to take note of what I noticed last night. Really, all of my comments can be reduced to 3 major points.

1) The video implies that Hydualic launches are the "old" way to do launches and that linear motors were created to solve the mechanical issues with hydraulic launches. This is not true. LIMs and LSMs were around before Intamin introduced the Hydraulic launch with Xcelerator in 2002. The hydraulic launch was created to get a faster and more forceful launch than LIMs/LSMs could produce at the time. The only reason we don't see many of these still being built is that LSMs have gotten much better in the past 20 years and launch coasters like TTD and KK are really not seen as favorably by parks now as they were back in the early 2000's (just my opinion).

2) The video says that to brake with LSMs, you have to power the stators backwards. Also not true, since the Stators have large mounts of copper inside them, with the permanent magnets mounted on the ride vehicle, it is already having eddy current braking effects. This is why rides like Verbolten don't actually have copper fins on their launches. An E-Stop (Or other loss of drive power) would still stop the train as if there were copper fins. Intamin tends to put extra fins in their launches, most likely because they can achieve the speed needed without the extra stators and would need the braking power if a roll back occurred, but don't want to spring for stators they don't need. I believe that running the stators backwards would slow the train down faster, by applying force back on the train, but would require substantial cooling and would risk launching the train backwards if malfunctioned. Not what you want in a safety situation when you can just kill power and the magnets will stop everything already.

3) The video says that the drop track is a freefall drop. While yes, you feel weightless while riding, chances are that there is not a true freefall happening, since the track is always being supported by a pneumatic piston. The drop track on Hagrid's and 13's are more akin to the S&S TurboDrop ride, where as Zierer's design is a modified mini drop tower in essence.

Not really a point, but it did bug me) Also, the times he referenced "Master Computer" instead of simply stating that it is a PLC, an industrial computer, bugs me, but that's probably because PLCs are my day job.

One thing I really did not know about Hagrid's that I think is cool are RFID chips for Operators. While I don't think that ride ops need to be babysat, the RFID does protect the park in case of complaint or incident and encourage ride ops to do their jobs correctly. While working at the park, there were a few instances where I was approached by guests claiming that one of my team members did not check their harness. Not having been there, it is only a he said she said situation. In those cases, we usually have to side with the guest unless other witnesses are found. Having a system like this could mitigate any issues in figuring out what actually went on. ID chips also could be used for incentives for quick dispatching.

Last edited:
Not sure but won't they do that pull thru envelope testing first too (think that's what it is called).
I remember seeing crews do that with Hagrids, especially around the launch and brake areas. It is pretty neat to see them do that. I don't remember seeing them do that when I worked at CP and Maverick didnt' have the trains on the track.
Although, getting close and I am starting to plan my first mini vacay to come up there to ride Pantheon, and also bring my hubby and the nephews there. They have never been to BGW, and it makes it even better a new coaster at BGW. Plus hopefully helps me appreciate more what Intamin is doing, since I have ridden Hagrids, then do Pantheon and then JP's unannounced coaster in 2021.
Thank you guys @Zachary & everyone who has done the fly over photos, they are amazing & like we have a Bioreconstruct BGW style now to appreciate and get some nice views both on the ground and in the sky.

Alright, I had to watch it again to take note of what I noticed last night. Really, all of my comments can be reduced to 3 major points.

1) The video implies that Hydualic launches are the "old" way to do launches and that linear motors were created to solve the mechanical issues with hydraulic launches. This is not true. LIMs and LSMs were around before Intamin introduced the Hydraulic launch with Xcelerator in 2002. The hydraulic launch was created to get a faster and more forceful launch than LIMs/LSMs could produce at the time. The only reason we don't see many of these still being built is that LSMs have gotten much better in the past 20 years and launch coasters like TTD and KK are really not seen as favorably by parks now as they were back in the early 2000's (just my opinion).

2) The video says that to brake with LSMs, you have to power the stators backwards. Also not true, since the Stators have large mounts of copper inside them, with the permanent magnets mounted on the ride vehicle, it is already having eddy current braking effects. This is why rides like Verbolten don't actually have copper fins on their launches. An E-Stop (Or other loss of drive power) would still stop the train as if there were copper fins. Intamin tends to put extra fins in their launches, most likely because they can achieve the speed needed without the extra stators and would need the braking power if a roll back occurred, but don't want to spring for stators they don't need. I believe that running the stators backwards would slow the train down faster, by applying force back on the train, but would require substantial cooling and would risk launching the train backwards if malfunctioned. Not what you want in a safety situation when you can just kill power and the magnets will stop everything already.

3) The video says that the drop track is a freefall drop. While yes, you feel weightless while riding, chances are that there is not a true freefall happening, since the track is always being supported by a pneumatic piston. The drop track on Hagrid's and 13's are more akin to the S&S TurboDrop ride, where as Zierer's design is a modified mini drop tower in essence.

Not really a point, but it did bug me) Also, the times he referenced "Master Computer" instead of simply stating that it is a PLC, an industrial computer, bugs me, but that's probably because PLCs are my day job.

One thing I really did not know about Hagrid's that I think is cool are RFID chips for Operators. While I don't think that ride ops need to be babysat, the RFID does protect the park in case of complaint or incident and encourage ride ops to do their jobs correctly. While working at the park, there were a few instances where I was approached by guests claiming that one of my team members did not check their harness. Not having been there, it is only a he said she said situation. In those cases, we usually have to side with the guest unless other witnesses are found. Having a system like this could mitigate any issues in figuring out what actually went on. ID chips also could be used for incentives for quick dispatching.
Okay, but... How fast does it launch to 73 mph?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: BGWnut
The thing I really did not know about Hagrid's that I think is cool are RFID chips for Operators. While I don't think that ride ops need to be babysat, the RFID does protect the park in case of complaint or incident and encourage ride ops to do their jobs correctly. While working at the park, there were a few instances where I was approached by guests claiming that one of my team members did not check their harness. Not having been there, it is only a he said she said situation. In those cases, we usually have to side with the guest unless other witnesses are found. Having a system like this could mitigate any issues in figuring out what actually went on. ID chips also could be used for incentives for quick dispatching.

This is really cool for a data nerd I aspire to be, but I wonder if there's any unforeseen drawbacks with such a system?

I am wondering if there are any construction delays right now due to lack of updates? Track seems to be missing the last few pieces, station area work needs to be done, trains not onsite yet.... I feel Kings Island and Hershey are further along with their construction schedule than Busch..

Do you think that they are on schedule to open Pantheon until Memorial Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad