News Project 2020: Iron Gwazi

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Jul 2, 2016
Just looking over all the stats and everything, was the third inversion ever confirmed as far as where it's located? We know about the drop-down barrel roll oh, and the stall. But has anyone confirmed where the third inversions located.

Mar 16, 2016
I woke up and I'm still pissed about making this Croc change. And the crap logo.

Should be something like this:

With the "Iron Gwazi", where the iron is written in a font like this:

And Gwazi is the old font but in purple:

Anyone proficient in photoshop that can make my vision a reality?

Sly4Good

Rose up from the dead and all I got was a t-shirt
Apr 25, 2011
I've heard better names come from millennial facebook mom groups.

Like... my god, everything about this is just embarrassing.

Why does the name make it seem like it's a homage to the original Gwazi when almost nothing about the two rides are similar? Also, why does 'Iron Gwazi' just not roll off the tongue very well. Saying it is like I'm trying to speak with a mouth full of a breakfast burrito.

Why did they retcon a mythical creature into a generic crocodile? That's honestly kind of insulting to the original mythos of the ride. Like there's a ton of crocodiles in African Mythology -- Sobek in Egypt, Gustave in Burundi, Gbahli in Liberia -- surely you could have named it after one of them if you really wanted to go the crocodile route.

Why is the logo so basic looking? It's like someone opened up MS paint and made that logo as a parody of an actual logo. The colors and how they're used is also bad -- why is Gwazi randomly in purple??? What does purple have to do with crocodiles???? Why does Iron not even look like its made of Iron? Why the logo just look bland and without /anything/ exciting to make it special.

Overall, imo this feels like BGT / SEAS just went "Hey. we have a wooden coaster that hasn't been RMCed. Lets make an RMC because everyone loves RMCs hahahaha." And put no thought, care, or love into it.

Apr 22, 2019
So about this mythical creature. As far as I can tell it doesn't exist at any point prior to the Gwazi rollercoaster. I've tried searching for the "fabled" gwazi in a variety of ways and the only things that turn up are the Gwazi rollercoaster (primarily), and then some articles about mythical creatures, none of which make any mention of gwazi. I think gwazi must have been made up by BGT. If so, no reason they couldn't extend the fable to be a crocodile. They can do whatever they want with it. It's their fable. Maybe they'll have an extension of the story in which the gwazi turned into a crocodile.

Reactions: AlpenChariot

Sly4Good

Rose up from the dead and all I got was a t-shirt
Apr 25, 2011
So about this mythical creature. As far as I can tell it doesn't exist at any point prior to the Gwazi rollercoaster. I've tried searching for the "fabled" gwazi in a variety of ways and the only things that turn up are the Gwazi rollercoaster (primarily), and then some articles about mythical creatures, none of which make any mention of gwazi. I think gwazi must have been made up by BGT. If so, no reason they couldn't extend the fable to be a crocodile. They can do whatever they want with it. It's their fable. Maybe they'll have an extension of the story in which the gwazi turned into a crocodile.
In storytelling, retconning your own information is heavily frowned upon for a multitude of reasons, including being indecisive / inconsistent at best, and not knowing what you're doing at worst.

There's absolutely 0 reason to turn a unique, interesting mythological creature into a less interesting, generic creature that couldn't be accomplished by just leaving the original story alone and presenting the new creature as its own original thing.

It's bad storytelling and having too much faith in them to have this super extensive storyline imo.

Mar 16, 2016
Another name idea:
They used Gwazi as the mythical combo of Lion head and Tiger body.

Why not use Liger? That’s the actual lion-tiger hybrid.

🤔

Psst....SEAS I am available to hire 😃

• Haha
Reactions: Sly4Good

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
If it wasn't for them already printing out banners and heavily pointing out the new theme to the ride I would have 100% thought that Iron Gwazi was just a temporary name.
Well, there's still time. 😉 A few times movies had "working titles" that went so deep, merchandise, etc. was made and distributed. ”Return of the Jedi” was originally "Revenge of the Jedi”. Some of those misnamed action figures are worth big bucks now.

Screenshot_20190913-133055_Google.jpg

But, with the zero car probably already made, we'd get stuck with "Gwazidile” or worse. 🤐

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Mantis (now Rougarou) at Cedar Point was originally named Banshee, with press releases, advertising, and signage emblazoning the name everywhere. Only after a Sandusky newspaper linked the ride’s theme to death did then-CEO Dick Kinzel pull the plug and switch the name.

(Ironically, Cedar Fair would reuse the Banshee name at Kings Island years later.)

Reactions: belsaas and Zachary

b.mac

Great Adventure got an RMC...
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
(Ironically, Cedar Fair would reuse the Banshee name at Kings Island years later.)
More ironically at the park that Dick Kinzel pined to own for decades and the purchase of which forced Cedar Fair into financial restructuring and eventually leading to his own ousting. The infamous name in which being used on the last major project he ever approved as CEO of Cedar Fair and one in which he then had no influence or input over since he left not long after Banshee was greenlit in 2012.

Other fun temporary names parks had for their rides. Looping Dragon, Total Mayhem, and Force 5.

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
I like the new name but OOOF! That logo is really bland, and I'm putting it mildly; heck the Pantheon logo is way better than this one. Ride looks awesome though.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So with minimal research if appears the the "mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a tiger" was actually created by BEC. There is no record of a the legend of the Gwazi before 1995; it was totally made up. That being said, can they really just change it like that?
I had assumed they got the name "Gwazi" from Gwassi, Kenya. There is a local fable about a monkey and a crocodile.

I have no idea if any of this is related to this new name.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGWnut
Login or Register to Hide This Ad