News Project 2020: Ice Breaker

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Jul 5, 2017
^Do they have to be so specific about it being "SeaWorlds first Multi-Directional Launch Coaster?" Isn't it technically SWOs "First Launch Coaster?" I guess they want to differentiate from the other 500 launch coasters in Orlando.

Nov 30, 2018
^Do they have to be so specific about it being "SeaWorlds first Multi-Directional Launch Coaster?" Isn't it technically SWOs "First Launch Coaster?" I guess they want to differentiate from the other 500 launch coasters in Orlando.
I can't even understand why they'd focus their marketing on the coaster's aspects and not the experience of the ride and how it relates to Sea World. This is Sea World, not a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park where unique coaster characteristics are the only thing they market.

Dombot

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mar 30, 2020
Atlanta
It appears that some clips used in that video are from the Wild Arctic ride film.
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. All hail White Thunder. Praise be to Whisper Mode.

In all seriousness, this is good news. I'm happy to see a confirmation that rides will actually open next year. Fingers crossed things will be normal enough that I take a trip back home to give both this and Iron Gwazi a whirl.

Reactions: Zachary and Eric
Jun 6, 2013
I was hoping this would open sooner. We might go at the beginning of the year and I was looking forward to riding it. It should be pretty close to finished as well?

Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
This ride has gotten absolutely no work done(besides landscaping next to the spike) since their closure. That being said, theres nothing to say wont start working on it in the next month or so and start testing.

Oddly enough, Wild Arctic has been getting the most work done recently. The exterior just got a blue paint job and some structure are currently being worked on in the area where the extended queue used to be.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Now that the delay to 2021 has happened, SeaWorld Orlando has already effectively "taken the hit" to the Ice Breaker marketing plan. I struggle to see why SEAS would bother opening Ice Breaker (or any of their unopened 2020 projects) before COVID restrictions are largely a thing of the past. On the other end of this, there will be some pent up travel demand and having a new coaster opening ready to market when that demand starts to be realized in Orlando will be a great perk for SWO.

Slightly off-topic, but I assume we'll see Disney do the same with Ratatouille.

Reactions: BGWnut and Connor
Jun 6, 2013
It's the smart business plan, but I hate just missing things on our every couple of years trip down there. There really isn't anything gained opening to a highly restricted park though.

Reactions: Zachary
Nov 30, 2018
Is the park near its allowed capacity limit? If so holding off makes sense, but if ticket sales are currenly off a lot, it's worth opening and getting an attendance boost.

IMO 2021 isn't going to be much better for travel demand than now, even with a decent vaccine in place. It will probably be 2022 or 2023 until demand is back to normal and people who are staying away are confident enough to go Orlando.

Reactions: tursiops
Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
To give you a sense of current demand, Kraken and Journey to Atlantis don't even open on weekdays and half the park closes by 3pm. However, on the weekends, the events have given them a huge attendance boost(10pm closings, fireworks, extra shows, etc). One would think a new rollercoaster would do the same.

Nov 30, 2018
If the attendance is mixed with weekends being close to capacity they may not get much boost from opening the coaster then. If it was slow across the board, I'd recommend they open to get people coming to the park.

Sep 24, 2018
Is the park near its allowed capacity limit? If so holding off makes sense, but if ticket sales are currenly off a lot, it's worth opening and getting an attendance boost.

IMO 2021 isn't going to be much better for travel demand than now, even with a decent vaccine in place. It will probably be 2022 or 2023 until demand is back to normal and people who are staying away are confident enough to go Orlando.
This was talked about in another thread but it applies here. In their recent earnings call, SEAS said that booking for Discovery Cove are up by almost 180% already for 2021 compared to normal. To me this indicates that there is a large contingent that are currently planning on visiting Orlando for vacation this coming year and they are willing to book in advance.

I bring that up because if that's true then there is a definite benefit to opening both up next year when in an effort to attract visitors to come to their park.

Nov 30, 2018
This was talked about in another thread but it applies here. In their recent earnings call, SEAS said that booking for Discovery Cove are up by almost 180% already for 2021 compared to normal. To me this indicates that there is a large contingent that are currently planning on visiting Orlando for vacation this coming year and they are willing to book in advance.

I bring that up because if that's true then there is a definite benefit to opening both up next year when in an effort to attract visitors to come to their park.
Discovery Cove is a little unique and may not be a great proxy for Sea World itself. There's a general thought I often hear that 2021 will be back to normal, but vaccine effectiveness is looking to be in the 50-70% range at best (Fauci's statement), which means 2021 is still going to be a cautious environment. People booking based on a premonition that everything is back to normal may cancel or delay once 2021 comes around and COVID-19 is still a lingering issue of sorts.

Sep 24, 2018
Discovery Cove is a little unique and may not be a great proxy for Sea World itself. There's a general thought I often hear that 2021 will be back to normal, but vaccine effectiveness is looking to be in the 50-70% range at best (Fauci's statement), which means 2021 is still going to be a cautious environment. People booking based on a premonition that everything is back to normal may cancel or delay once 2021 comes around and COVID-19 is still a lingering issue of sorts.
I'm not arguing that people might rebook, I'm just using it show that currently there is a pretty large group that is planning on visiting the Orlando area next year. It is true that Discovery Cove might not be the greatest proxy, but it would show that there is a benefit to be had from opening Ice Breaker if they can convert a higher percentage if Discovery Cove visits to SeaWorld visits.

For what's it's worth, I don't think that 2021 will be back to normal travel wise but that I'll be much closer to pre-pandemic than it is currently during the pandemic.

Dombot

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mar 30, 2020
Atlanta
Y'know, I'm probably gonna get dragged from judging a ride by it's POV (maybe moreso because it's not even a real one), but I gotta get this off of my chest... damn it, this looks REALLY underwhelming.

I get that SeaWorld is attempting to fill a niche in their line-up, and I applaud them for that! The park has needed a launch coaster for some time, and I'm really happy they decided to go the family route due to them not really having a stepping stone in between Box Car Derby and the big three B&M's (unless you count Journey to Atlantis (which you shouldn't but I won't judge ya)), I'm super stoked the park finally has a coaster like this. BUT.

First off, there is absolutely no reason for comfort collars to be here. Not one. Zilch. Zero. I get why the company opts for them on their SR2 models- those are huge, they have a hangtime-filled inversion, and are generally really intense- but this isn't an SR2. It's a family launch coaster. It doesn't go upside down. It barely passes the 50 mph mark. Why does it need them? I guarantee you it would be better with just the lap bar. And the layout... I mean, it's fine. Again, family coaster, can't complain too much. The drop off of the top hat looks like it's gonna be great, especially in the back car. Launches seem **really** slow, but whatever, quad launch, it makes sense.

Take Wave Breaker at SeaWorld San Antonio. That thing has a relatively short ride time, but it has a double launch, a great placement over the water, and it looks amazing in the park. First off, again, I like the layout, it's good. But man... I can't help but shake the feeling that they could've done so much more with it. Maybe throw in an inversion to justify the comfort collars, maybe a few more airtime hills, something. And as for looks? Well uh... the orange color is just... kinda ugly, in my opinion. It seriously clashes with the big three in the park- Manta, Mako, and Kraken almost complement each other with their color scheme. It honestly looks like they were always there, if that makes sense. Ice Breaker? F*ck it, DayGlo orange. Cool. Awesome.

Yeah... overall I'm very mixed on how to feel about this thing. Sorry for the really bitter rant, but man, I had to. Am I glad it exists? Yeah, definitely! But... geez, I am not as hyped as I feel like I should be.

Reactions: Pompeiiboy
Dec 11, 2019
Y'know, I'm probably gonna get dragged from judging a ride by it's POV (maybe moreso because it's not even a real one), but I gotta get this off of my chest... damn it, this looks REALLY underwhelming.

I get that SeaWorld is attempting to fill a niche in their line-up, and I applaud them for that! The park has needed a launch coaster for some time, and I'm really happy they decided to go the family route due to them not really having a stepping stone in between Box Car Derby and the big three B&M's (unless you count Journey to Atlantis (which you shouldn't but I won't judge ya)), I'm super stoked the park finally has a coaster like this. BUT.

First off, there is absolutely no reason for comfort collars to be here. Not one. Zilch. Zero. I get why the company opts for them on their SR2 models- those are huge, they have a hangtime-filled inversion, and are generally really intense- but this isn't an SR2. It's a family launch coaster. It doesn't go upside down. It barely passes the 50 mph mark. Why does it need them? I guarantee you it would be better with just the lap bar. And the layout... I mean, it's fine. Again, family coaster, can't complain too much. The drop off of the top hat looks like it's gonna be great, especially in the back car. Launches seem **really** slow, but whatever, quad launch, it makes sense.

Take Wave Breaker at SeaWorld San Antonio. That thing has a relatively short ride time, but it has a double launch, a great placement over the water, and it looks amazing in the park. First off, again, I like the layout, it's good. But man... I can't help but shake the feeling that they could've done so much more with it. Maybe throw in an inversion to justify the comfort collars, maybe a few more airtime hills, something. And as for looks? Well uh... the orange color is just... kinda ugly, in my opinion. It seriously clashes with the big three in the park- Manta, Mako, and Kraken almost complement each other with their color scheme. It honestly looks like they were always there, if that makes sense. Ice Breaker? F*ck it, DayGlo orange. Cool. Awesome.

Yeah... overall I'm very mixed on how to feel about this thing. Sorry for the really bitter rant, but man, I had to. Am I glad it exists? Yeah, definitely! But... geez, I am not as hyped as I feel like I should be.
I feel you on the comfort collars. I get they’re there because it’s a family ride and they want people to feel safe, but they aren’t necessary.

As for the layout, this looks freakin amazing! A beyond vertical spike, 2 backwards and 2 forwards launches, a top hat that should have airtime, 2 ejector hills following it, a wave turn, more fun hills, they knocked the layout out of the park IMO.

I also don’t have an issue with the color or the location. I have a sweet spot for compact coasters, but I still think they did a fantastic job fitting this into a different part of the park on a small space, and I think the paint job looks both original and nice

Reactions: Dombot and Mushroom

Mushroom

Old user, new username
Feb 12, 2011
I wish they'd gone for more Alpengeist-like colors to convey the snowy theme, because the orange doesn't really make a lot of sense. But other than that, I think this looks like a great bridge between family coasters and thrill rides and I think it'll fit SWO's lineup perfectly.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for theming? Entrance, queue, ride area?

Reactions: Eric and Dombot
Login or Register to Hide This Ad