Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
A friend of mine recently said that if a few years ago you had told them that SFA would go two years in a row with bigger new additions then KD that she would have called you nuts but here we are and it's a sad day.

I mean... we got a fantastic new coaster literally last year...
I agree on that I don't think it's all doom and gloom but I also feel that following that up with a new event as your add the next year and following that up with a relatively small kiddy area in the water park the year after that kills the momentum that TT was trying to build. especially when you look at what has been lost over the last few years. Especially when you see a net loss of 2 coasters at KD while Busch has had a net gain of 3 during the same time frame.

Reactions: SLC Headache
I think that’s sort of an unfair assessment for a few reasons. First, “momentum” from a major addition, historically, has meant that said addition is not followed by another major addition for a few seasons. For example, nothing major was added the year after I305 and the year after that was just Windseeker and Dinosaurs Alive. This is especially true now that Cedar Fair’s new CEO Richard Zimmerman has stated that a marketing strategy of building off the momentum of one single major addition for multiple seasons is a better use of an investment.

Also, I think the common “loss of 2 coasters” line is misleading. Folks can debate about whether replacing a coaster (Shockwave) with a flat (Delirium) was the right choice, but the fact is that Cedar Fair invested millions into replacing an aging, mediocre coaster with an appealing, new ride. Was Delirium the “right” replacement? That’s subject to one’s opinion, but it’s impossible to argue that the park didn’t receive a major new investment into the park experience when Shockwave was taken out.

It’s also unfair to consider Volcano part of that “loss” when it was literally removed this year. Of course it hasn’t been replaced yet- how could they have replaced it in one season?

One could also argue that neither Tempesto nor InvadR are to the scale of Twisted Timbers.

I just think this common argument that Cedar Fair has somehow forgotten about KD is misinformed and somewhat misleading.

I think 'momentum' doesn't have to mean new ride. But as part of TT work, they redid the whole plaza with pavers, repainted rides, renamed some rides. They really revamped the whole plaza and made it look fresh and new. Momentum could have been (IMO) continuing paver work into Olde Virginia, revamp some of the rides and shops there, and add something small in that area.

But instead it seems like they are abandoning this idea of 'no more pavement' and going 180 on it. And I say that as a person that is a fan of balance in additions and they should be alternating some of the work. But they need to be able to do something on both stead and announce it all together.

I totally agree, but I have a strong feeling there will be that sort of “momentum” here as that back part of Soak City gets a much-needed revitalization. Except for the addition of Zoom Flume in 2007, that entire back portion of the water park basically hasn’t been touched since WaterWorks was first expanded in 2000, and it shows.

We also have no idea what other projects will happen in the park. The International Street paver project and The Parched Pig weren’t announced until well into the off-season, and we didn’t know about the Old Virginia pavers at all until they actually happened in April. I think we’d be getting ahead of ourselves to assume nothing else is happening next year.

Reactions: mtorange and MAZ
It's hard for me to get excited over the possibility of a pathway conversion.

While I'm in the same boat, announcing upgrades to the main park at the same time is a way that you can keep your park overall in the news. I've seen announcements of an area aimed at kids pull interest for like a week or two. But even just an overhaul to an area can hold interest for a long time. The year after Skyrush and the Hollow overhaul, HP announces another ride elsewhere and update to Kissing Tower Hill. Kept Hershey in the news as things were getting worked on.

If anyone heads to KD this weekend, would you stop by Soak City and see what the current demolition state is for Big Wave Bay? I keep hearing that ADG is still doing a controlled, focused demo. If Coconut Shores is going in that spot, why not just bulldoze the whole area?

I just saw from I305 that Soak City Splash House has already been partially demolished.

Reactions: Zachary
I just saw from I305 that Soak City Splash House has already been partially demolished.
I would be dooming-and-glooming over another removal, but in this case, maybe it could mean moving the entrance of Soak City some time down the road to near Twisted Timbers?

No, from what I understand the new dining concept is going where Splash House was. Plus, since it’s been well established on here that Splash House was also getting replaced by Coconut Shores, I’m not sure where the “doom-and-gloom” is coming from.

Reactions: Zachary
No, from what I understand the new dining concept is going where Splash House was. Plus, since it’s been well established on here that Splash House was also getting replaced by Coconut Shores, I’m not sure where the “doom-and-gloom” is coming from.
Splash House was a ghost of its former self. I'd say 80-90% of the original interactive elements have not existed for the last 6-8 years. It survived mainly with the tipping bucket and the 4 slides.

Coconut Shores water play structure appears to be 2-3 times the size of Splash House. It is coming with 8 slides, 2 tipping buckets, and more interactive elements than the original had. The artist renderings have at least 2 slides being higher and longer than any of the 4 slides that existed on the Splash House.

Big question is if KD will maintain it so those elements continue to work.

Judging by how little the park seems to care about doing much more than the bare minimum to ensure everything is safe, with the occasional paint job or two, makes me believe it's likely this one will start permanently losing events after the second season.

Splash House was also towards the end of its life. Even with more slides and a larger play structure. Coconut Shores expansion will still very likely require much less staffing to operate compared to the 20 or so guards needed to open both Tidal Wave Bay and Splash House.

Reactions: Mushroom
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad