Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I was expecting to be "meh" about this announcement, but god, this is considerably worse than even I was anticipating...

Not only are both of the attraction additions geared very, very young, but the theme is also totally and completely uninspired. Cedar Fair has been going through their water park portfolio lately and trying to customize their offerings and themes to their local markets which I think is a brilliant idea... And then we get this—literally the single most generic water park theme possible. Disappointing.

It’s literally a minor CF waterpark addition. How much theming do you expect

Reactions: Sly4Good
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. I just looked at the site and it says that Soak City has three kiddy areas already.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. I just looked at the site and it says that Soak City has three kiddy areas already.

Soak City Splash House, the largest of those three areas, is being replaced with this new addition. It is strange though because Lil Barefoot Beach is apparently staying and will be located right next to the new children’s attractions.

One thing to note is that Soak City currently only has 4 slides that guests under 42” tall can ride, and all of them are part of Splash House. They’re also fairly old and small. This new expansion will drastically increase the amount of rides younger guests can ride in Soak City.

Honestly the only reason the 2017 Planet Snoopy announcement made me upset because their teasing seemed to heavily suggest what was ultimately Twisted Timbers so the sudden "Planet Snoopy is getting larger again" on the announcement day was like a gut punch after Hurler had already been closed all season.

This is kind of weak just because when they expand the water park it's typically been with like "a slide tower/family raft ride, and a kids/family attraction" wheras this is literally only kids attractions not many people over the age of 8 will enjoy AND Tornado is gone.

I will stop complaining now.

Last edited:
Honestly starting to get kinda jealous of Carowinds. Cedar Fair just pumping money into them at this point (I am aware of MiA, VF, WOF, DP existing).

I am too! I want the Peanuts Celebration and the WinterFest Wonderland Parade!!!

Honestly the only reason the 2017 Planet Snoopy announcement made me upset because their teasing seemed to heavily suggest what was ultimately Twisted Timbers so the sudden "Planet Snoopy is getting larger again" on the announcement day was like a gut punch after Hurler had already been closed all season.

Good point. At least they didn’t tease us into the wrong direction this time around. I still have my little Snoopy toy from that announcement!

I knew I had reason for concern when somebody pointed out how outdated the current kids areas are. I was like "...……………………..please no"

Based on the reactions in this thread, it seems like many users here don't have young kids. I do have one - and she LOVES WCUSA. Last year we got KD passes as well just for something different. The free pre-school pass played into that decision as well. She was disappointed that there were very few rides for kids her age and height in soak city. There was the wave pool, play, structure, and lazy river. There are no kids slides or even family slides. We went into Soak City only once the whole season but made several trips to Water County.

While this addition does seem unoriginal, rushed, and to be copying some of what they already have, they definitely need more for young kids. Just remember, making money from families helps pay for those larger attractions for the adults.

I'll put my non-child-having context to my 'disappointment' to this:
We're in back to back years of losing key attractions for older park goers. Add in that there was a major people eating attraction lost. I'm not going to be as absurd to say something for kids shouldn't have been done, but I think yearly they should balance and try to do both. They did 2 attractions: A splash house and a kiddie wave pool. For the amount of the kiddie wave pool, I bet they could have done a mat racer slide, and hit on both demographics. But instead you lost 3 things in 2 years for older demographics, and gained 1; and lost nothing for kids and gained a lot.

Some of y’all’s reactions are taking me back to the 2017 Planet Snoopy Expansion fiasco.... we can agree that this is better than THAT was, right?
Actually I kind of disagree on that. As bad and over hyped as Planet Snoopy was at least most of those rides were new to the park. This looks largely to be a clone of the Splash house right next to it unless I am missing something. I don't usually make more then on visit to Soak City a year so I have to ask is that so busy that we have crowding issues that require a second one?

• Dislike
Reactions: Sly4Good
Well, even I was underwhelmed with the announcement. I thought there would be one slide tower added for teens and up. Or a wave river, something that would be a capacity hog.

But, on the flip side, the water play structure appears to be twice as large as the old Splash House. Stats have the height at 45 feet and there will be two buckets on the new structure.

I think the Splash House bucket sets at a height of 20-25 feet.

There will be 8 slides compared to 4 on Splash House. All four existing SH slides are the same height (12-15 feet high). About half of the new slides seem to be about the same height as the old ones and the other half seem to be 30-35 feet tall.

There is 200 interactive features on the new one. Plus, it appears it will have a shallow pool underneath.

I'm fine with additions trending the way of the park's market research. THAT SAID, it feels like Kings Dominion isn't considering what their long-term arc looks like to their guests at all. That perception often ends up being way more important to the health of a park than the actual realities on the ground. (See: Huge upswell of negative sentiments towards BGW in the wake of the AB sale.)

OK, now I'm confused and concerned. When I saw the concept art for Sand Dune Lagoon I thought it looked quite small compared to Big Wave Bay, but didn't think anything of it because cartoon concept art like that is never to scale. Then I just read the Sand Dune Lagoon description again:

The little ones can find their own piece of paradise at Sand Dune Lagoon, a 3,000 square foot wave pool with playful 1-foot tall waves and interactive splash elements.
New area coming in 2020

3,000 square feet? That's the size of a medium-large suburban home, not a wave pool the size of Big Wave Bay. I then measured Big Wave Bay myself on Google Earth to find it's approximately 30,000 square feet (see photo below). So either they are shrinking the size of the wave pool by 90% for Sand Dune Lagoon similar to the size represented in the concept art (and because of staffing issues) OR they simply forgot a 0 (zero) in their Sand Dune Lagoon description (3,000 ≠ 30,000 sf) and it's going to take up the entire former Big Wave Bay.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad