Login or Register to Hide This Ad

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
How exactly is converting $80 single visits to $120 memberships a win for the park?
$40 and additional chances at food and merch purchases on a guest's future visit(s).

When you factor in the dining and drink plans, it becomes harder and harder for a guest to actually earn their money's worth out of those deals.

Reactions: rswashdc

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
$40 and additional chances at food and merch purchases on a guest's future visit(s).

When you factor in the dining and drink plans, it becomes harder and harder for a guest to actually earn their money's worth out of those deals.
I kinda disagree with this statement. It’s $40 on one time purchase but over time they pay less and less a visit. Especially if there’s families that don’t buy much more than the pass, meal plan, and drink plan.

Reactions: mikes

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I kinda disagree with this statement. It’s $40 on one time purchase but over time they pay less and less a visit. Especially if there’s families that don’t buy much more than the pass, meal plan, and drink plan.
You may disagree with it but that's how parks factor the money earnings they get.

Monthly membership fees balance out their admission earnings across the year, and additional visits from the guests increase the chances of guests buying other things through their visits. That guest may not be paying $80 per visit to get through the gate, but them buying a $10 meal every visit and a $30 shirt or two will more than make up for the reduced earning off of admission.

More visits = better numbers for the shareholders
More merch and food purchases = better numbers for the shareholders

It's just the way things swing now.

Oct 27, 2019
If a decision has been made that they won’t open for 2021
In reality, we don't know why they aren't opening these rides yet, but I will tell you that it is most likely because they have deemed (for some reason) that they don't need to yet. If it's attendance based, they may just be waiting for a slump after everyone finally was able to metaphorically stretch their legs after being cooped up for so long. If it's based on other park's decisions, it could be that they are waiting to open after the hype from other projects die down. For all we know, they are waiting til after the Golden Tickets, so that they can claim Best New Rides 2022 with a smaller pool since I'm pretty sure most 2022 projects were delayed or scrapped due to covid. At the end of the day, the leadership for SEAS will do what they think is best, despite what we would want. Get upset with them if you want, just know that they most likely don't care what a hardcore fan base thinks, but rather what the GP is concerned with. At this point, I would say that the only way to get answers from them is via local media pressing them on it.
If they’ve made the decision not to open (most likely)
To be clear, in my opinion, it is just OBVIOUSLY better for SEAS if they can manage to delay their unopened 2020 projects to 2022.

They can start marketing the coasters again in late 2021 and into early 2022 to rekindle the hype. The chain can use those coasters to sell passes in early '22 just like they did in early 2020. Then SEAS can open them all somewhere between the end of February and the end of March to drive attendance during what is expected to be a slow time of year. It essentially allows SEAS to double dip on pass sales for these coasters while also harvesting the massive early spring attendance boost provided by major new attractions. You can think it's slimy, but it would be effective.

There's another reason too though. Right now, BGW, BGT, SWO, and SWSD don't have 2022 attractions lined up. SEAS has made it clear that their promotional strategy relies on one attraction addition per year. It turned out that 2021 gave SEAS a new attraction at all of their parks for free—the "end" of COVID. If SEAS can manage to keep their 2020 projects in the barrel until 2022 without it blowing up in their faces, it gets the chain right back on track again.

Going even further, in the case of BGW, they probably especially want to delay Pantheon to 2022 because their local competition is one of the few parks out there with a 2022 coaster project on the table. BGW, as one of those attraction every year SEAS parks, probably really doesn't want their one gap year to be the same year KD adds a coaster.

So yeah, for a multitude of different reasons, it is just better for SEAS to hold these attractions back until 2022 if you ask me. They could still definitely make the call to open some or all of them this year if demand slumps or public pressure really starts to build, but everything I'm seeing right now says to me that SEAS would prefer to wait until 2022.
I completely understand what you are saying and from a business perspective, believe that this does make more sense - if this is the case though, they should make the announcement that it’s going to be 2022 that it’s open, and take down “anticipated opening 2021”.

If they’ve made the decision to delay the opening, they shouldn’t, on the flip side, be advertising a false sentiment on the other. No one’s know the numbers but I’m sure some people purchased memberships in 2019, 2020, and now 2021 under the assumption that they’d be opening this new attraction when they said they would. We understand 2020 happened, but they still opened the park, and we’re creative with the time slots to effectively double what they could. Not faulting them, in fact praising, but again - there’s a minimal chance that these discussions (corporate) on when to open the rides haven’t happened along with a correlating decision.

Reactions: netdvn and Zachary

Jahrules

Possibly the 1-millionth Pantheon thread viewer.
Feb 3, 2019
Honestly what I was getting at is it's all of these things.

Converting regular attendees from a fun card to membership is demonstrably a part of the picture. We have direct evidence for this because the board has said as much in earnings calls.

Getting occasional attendees a reason to come back is another piece of the pie.

There are different, targeted, strategies to appeal to the various markets but a new attraction like Pantheon has the broadest appeal to most of the target markets.

So let the experts market the coaster on the way they feel maximizes their reach to their target markets instead of containing that you aren't their target.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016
If they are truly waiting on 2022 to get a ROI, I just don't think they're going to get an actual picture. If you're already going now you're definitely already coming in 2022. If you're not coming now it's because you're still scared to be around this many people. In 2022, they might come but it will be because they feel safe not because of Pantheon. It could work out in our favor if I'm right

Last edited:
Reactions: GrantLee123
Nov 30, 2018
How exactly is converting $80 single visits to $120 memberships a win for the park?
Most aren’t paying full gate (discounts, multi-day tickets) and a lot of those conversions are to $180+ memberships plus dining/drinks that end up being used way less than originally planned. Throw in the psychological responses around cancelling memberships and the need to try and use them and you’ve converted a once a year guest to 3-4 times and are making a lot more revenue/profit in total.

Reactions: Nibbins and Zachary
Jun 21, 2011
It's weird that SEAS Parks are just ignoring goodwill altogether with multiple coasters-sitting-done-and-unopened.

It's not surprising, but it IS weird.

Reactions: GrantLee123
Nov 24, 2009
What they need to consider is not how many bought passes in the last 3 years because of Pantheon but how many that have had passes are dropping them
now. I know a few longtime passholders that are just waiting out their free months to drop their passes. I too am considering it. I’ve been a uninterrupted passholder since 1991 and up till last year we’re at the part multiple times a week. Our main visit times were weekdays after 7pm. With the slash in operating hours we just don’t go very much and then even when we do things we were interested in weren’t and some are still not open. When it comes time for them
to again steal $60 from my bank account for a product that dosent live up to what was advertised it’s going to be time for me to make a decision.

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
I liked going on weekday evenings as well and weren't able to in the past 2 weeks.

Your consideration there actually might just be more reason to delay the opening of Pantheon to next year though:

-You're not dropping your membership right now because you're not paying, so BGW isn't losing any money. You might even end up visiting and spending money.
-Once they start charging again later this year (I assume around Halloween or Christmas?) they will have plenty of people that pay for single day tickets.
-After that they can start advertising the upcoming opening of Pantheon to make everyone that ended up dropping their membership subscribe again for 2022.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Pass payments are supposed to resume in January if I remember correctly—just in time for a theoretical 2022 Pantheon marketing push.

And yes, no one is cancelling their passes right now because they're free—meaning that risk is not an incentive for the park to open Pantheon yet.

Nov 30, 2018
Pass payments are supposed to resume in January if I remember correctly—just in time for a theoretical 2022 Pantheon marketing push.

And yes, no one is cancelling their passes right now because they're free—meaning that risk is not an incentive for the park to open Pantheon yet.
I guess they can re-offer First to Ride Pantheon again as a limited time new/renewing member offer.

Reactions: netdvn and Zachary
Nov 24, 2009
I guess they can re-offer First to Ride Pantheon again as a limited time new/renewing member offer.
I never really considered that a benifit because like always they peobably would have had it open to day guests as a "soft open" before then anyhow. Universal did it right with VC.....Passholders rode it even before media day.

Sir Griffondor

DrachenFire matchstick
May 4, 2021
So hate to be devil's advocate here .. But how can SEAS possibly have maximum ROI if the investment is already 2 yrs behind schedule?
Wouldn't opening your investment ASAP maximize your profits?

Also who's to say attendance will increase next year to justify opening Pantheon a year later?
In the weather forums we call this Wishcasting, hoping for the best outcome.

Who is also to say Pantheon will be a automatic home run? Or that technical issues will be a none issue.
As much as you guys want to believe SEAS is in total control, it's a lot of variables that could doom SEAS ROI.

This also explains why SEAS is doing slim ball business, they have already lost on their investment. But yet they continue to sell season passes advertising a new rollercoaster, for 2 yrs now. This look like a company collecting money, while under delivering.

Considering other parks are opening new coasters and having REAL ROI, makes SEAS look like novices.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad