Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish bgw would just announce the opening date already. Of course I know it's not that easy but it would be nice. I was hoping for a June 25th opening date but it is not looking like that will end up happening.

I wish bgw would just announce the opening date already. Of course I know it's not that easy but it would be nice. I was hoping for a June 25th opening date but it is not looking like that will end up happening.
They’re probably not opening any SEAS coasters this year because they have Sekrit dokuments that are contrary to every other chain in the business

They’re probably not opening any SEAS coasters this year because they have Sekrit dokuments that are contrary to every other chain in the business

It's a different method of analysis, not just a different conclusion. Universal is probably right for Universal. Six Flags is probably right for Six Flags. SEAS is probably right for SEAS.

A couple thoughts from a relative outsider with regards to BGW (from NE Ohio) after visiting the park for the first time in 7 years this past Wednesday.

- For a BGW attraction, much less a world-class coaster, the area does not look "done" at all, at least from what was viewable. One thing I always loved (and still do) about BGW is the attention to detail. Heck, I was excited to see how much of Verbolten's theming in the queue was still in working order (my home park is Cedar Point where these things have a reputation for falling by the wayside). There's just nothing to see at the ride right now, and the station just looks like something Cedar Fair would build. Granted I have zero idea what the grand idea is for this ride, but given the park's history of quality theming and story-driven atmosphere, I would say this ride has a ways to go with regards to the "little things".

- It is weird that BGW (or perhaps it's just SEAS) does not communicate with its customers about the status of such a high profile attraction. But again, this is from my Cedar Fair-typical experience, where (at least up here at Cedar Point) there is a lot of transparency and communication to the fan base about the status of an attraction, even if it isn't "good" news.

It looks impressive after seeing the structure in person, it just doesn't look done. But maybe that's all there is?

A couple thoughts from a relative outsider with regards to BGW (from NE Ohio) after visiting the park for the first time in 7 years this past Wednesday.

- For a BGW attraction, much less a world-class coaster, the area does not look "done" at all, at least from what was viewable. One thing I always loved (and still do) about BGW is the attention to detail. Heck, I was excited to see how much of Verbolten's theming in the queue was still in working order (my home park is Cedar Point where these things have a reputation for falling by the wayside). There's just nothing to see at the ride right now, and the station just looks like something Cedar Fair would build. Granted I have zero idea what the grand idea is for this ride, but given the park's history of quality theming and story-driven atmosphere, I would say this ride has a ways to go with regards to the "little things".

- It is weird that BGW (or perhaps it's just SEAS) does not communicate with its customers about the status of such a high profile attraction. But again, this is from my Cedar Fair-typical experience, where (at least up here at Cedar Point) there is a lot of transparency and communication to the fan base about the status of an attraction, even if it isn't "good" news.

It looks impressive after seeing the structure in person, it just doesn't look done. But maybe that's all there is?
Its done.....well except for maybe the mister fans in the queue portion.

Believe me some of us are waiting for literally anything from them. They’ve been completely quiet for this whole year+

Unless something dramatic changes, it’s done. Looking to Verbolten or even Invadr for comparison is probably misleading: my sense is that as SEAS at large moves toward a plan to install major attractions on a yearly basis in their parks, the kind of focus on theming that you’re identifying as central to BGW’s identity isn’t as likely to be applied to the overall experience. That might change when they’re working with a more developed space as opposed to dropping a coaster station in the middle of an empty field, and I think the maturing of the landscaping will help in due time, but it’s gonna look pretty bare even if it doesn’t open until next Spring.

Unless something dramatic changes, it’s done. Looking to Verbolten or even Invadr for comparison is probably misleading: my sense is that as SEAS at large moves toward a plan to install major attractions on a yearly basis in their parks, the kind of focus on theming that you’re identifying as central to BGW’s identity isn’t as likely to be applied to the overall experience. That might change when they’re working with a more developed space as opposed to dropping a coaster station in the middle of an empty field, and I think the maturing of the landscaping will help in due time, but it’s gonna look pretty bare even if it doesn’t open until next Spring.
Wait……that’s it……maturing of the landscape…..that’s what they are waiting on. So Thursday I noticed how abandoned the site looked, grass and weeds were taking over the gravel paths and taller weeds were growing around everything. It looks like the grass cutting isn’t even happening on site.

Wonder what bg cash flow looks like.. I know it’s been busy at the parks... but they lost a lot of cash the last year.... maybe they are behind a little in payments in general.

though I thought I read here someone said they had enough cash....

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: panopticon31
Wonder what bg cash flow looks like.. I know it’s been busy at the parks... but they lost a lot of cash the last year.... maybe they are behind a little in payments in general.

though I thought I read here someone said they had enough cash....

I mean... It's public info... SeaWorldinvestors.com

They have a massive was of liquid cash right now.

I think the biggest thing that’s missing, ignoring theming and landscaping, is an extended queue.

There’s nowhere to put the thousands of people that are going to try to ride Pantheon unless they want to zig zag them over the railroad tracks and use the Circo queue which will only increase the attendants required to staff the attraction. The current queue is abysmally short, and while that has been the trend with Tempesto and InvadR, at least the latter has ample temporary extended queue space outside of the attraction for when it inevitably requires more space.

Without some sort of extended queue it’s going to be a challenge directing a queue in Festa without disrupting Tradewinds or any of the other attractions nearby.

Wait……that’s it……maturing of the landscape…..that’s what they are waiting on. So Thursday I noticed how abandoned the site looked, grass and weeds were taking over the gravel paths and taller weeds were growing around everything. It looks like the grass cutting isn’t even happening on site.
The only place that looked over grown to me was along the drop toward the Rhine and as steep as that is I am not sure how easily that would be to cut. On top of that tall vegetation usually grows deeper roots so that might be deliberate as it would give more erosion protection.

I mean... It's public info... SeaWorldinvestors.com

They have a massive was of liquid cash right now.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding this massive amount of cash came in form of a credit line. If so, that doesn't mean you are in a good position just because you can get at cash (that you must repay)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding this massive amount of cash came in form of a credit line. If so, that doesn't mean you are in a good position just because you can get at cash (that you must repay)

They have a lot of liquid _in addition_ to a massive open credit line. But the credit line is for acquisitions/etc in case something goes out of business and can be snapped up cheaply.

I get what you're saying, and if this is accurate, that's a bit of a shame; I wasn't necessarily speaking of the landscaping per se, but rather the feel of the area and the look of the attraction (mainly the queue/station and the course of the ride) itself. It looks exactly how you describe it: a huge coaster plopped into the middle of a field.

Dick Kinzel, the former CEO of Cedar Fair, used to get asked quite a bit why Cedar Point didn't ever bother to apply any sort of theming/story to their rides (the park, afterall, was once envisioned as become the "Disney of the Midwest"). His (paraphrased) quote after building world-record-breaking rides like Magnum, Raptor, and Millennium Force was always..."We don't need theming. The ride is the theme". His philosophy was that the park's rides were so thrilling, adding anything else to them was meaningless and a waste of money. And that was good enough for a park like Cedar Point for decades, which ironically has now added back-to-back attractions (Forbidden Frontier and Snake River Expeditions) with pretty incredible attention to detail, with a new understanding that families are looking for something more than just a thrill.

From what I understand, each part of the ride is supposed to somehow be symbolic of a different god, yes? It would seem this ride has a story to tell or an adventure to take the riders on, making it more than just a thrill by making it an immersive thrill. Where/how is this story getting told or experienced?

But it is what it is. We had an astounding time (I'll do a trip report once we get back) without Pantheon being open. Why this comes to mind is that for my wife and I, our mantra about loving BGW has always been this; it has always found a nice harmony between Disney and Cedar Point, finding a way to create thrilling rides with that immersive experience that adds something priceless to a ride, from something as tiny as DaVinci's Cradle to something as large as Verbolten.

If taking this aspect of the park away with regards to their major attractions is the path forward, that does nothing to separate them from the Cedar Fair park in Doswell. There is no doubt this is going to be a great addition to the park. I guess this time around the ride is the theme.

It has an OK sign out front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicole
I get what you're saying, and if this is accurate, that's a bit of a shame; I wasn't necessarily speaking of the landscaping per se, but rather the feel of the area and the look of the attraction (mainly the queue/station and the course of the ride) itself. It looks exactly how you describe it: a huge coaster plopped into the middle of a field.

Dick Kinzel, the former CEO of Cedar Fair, used to get asked quite a bit why Cedar Point didn't ever bother to apply any sort of theming/story to their rides (the park, afterall, was once envisioned as become the "Disney of the Midwest"). His (paraphrased) quote after building world-record-breaking rides like Magnum, Raptor, and Millennium Force was always..."We don't need theming. The ride is the theme". His philosophy was that the park's rides were so thrilling, adding anything else to them was meaningless and a waste of money. And that was good enough for a park like Cedar Point for decades, which ironically has now added back-to-back attractions (Forbidden Frontier and Snake River Expeditions) with pretty incredible attention to detail, with a new understanding that families are looking for something more than just a thrill.

From what I understand, each part of the ride is supposed to somehow be symbolic of a different god, yes? It would seem this ride has a story to tell or an adventure to take the riders on, making it more than just a thrill by making it an immersive thrill. Where/how is this story getting told or experienced?

But it is what it is. We had an astounding time (I'll do a trip report once we get back) without Pantheon being open. Why this comes to mind is that for my wife and I, our mantra about loving BGW has always been this; it has always found a nice harmony between Disney and Cedar Point, finding a way to create thrilling rides with that immersive experience that adds something priceless to a ride, from something as tiny as DaVinci's Cradle to something as large as Verbolten.

If taking this aspect of the park away with regards to their major attractions is the path forward, that's does nothing to separate them from the Cedar Fair park in Doswell. There is no doubt this is going to be a great addition to the park. I guess this time around the ride is the theme.

To quote BGW leadership: "you won't even notice the lack of theming once you ride it".

Which is pretty much exactly what you just said.

@kevinj :

Unfortunately, you are articulating the exact frustration many of us have long had with Pantheon. If you look back through this thread, you will see that I, too, have distinguished between decorating and theming. It seems that BGW has opted for some of the former and none of the latter.

At one point, the marketing rep actually told the media that we wouldn’t care about theming, once we were on the ride. You can imagine how well that went over.

I am hopeful, based on the plans we saw previously for the theming of DrachenSpire, that this is not going to become the norm.

Reactions: DJTLG and kevinj
I haven't been around here long enough (but I'm sure I can find it) to see the plans for DrachenSpire, but that communique from the marketing rep is just....unacceptable.

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

Maybe I'm wrong; but but part of me wants to think that if Kevin was president at the mmxx press event that rep wouldn't have gotten away with saying that... Or maybe it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Reactions: kevinj
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad