Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

b.mac

huh?
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
So with this teaser from West Coast Customs, who are bike modifiers famous in California. It's safe to assume the rumored "West Coast Racers" name registered by Six Flags is going to SFMM. No word on manufacturer, yet. My guess is Premier.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Zachary
Link: https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6251/

Transcript:
West Coast Racers will be a Premier Rides launched coaster that will send riders on a two-lap race around a refurbished and newly-themed land in the park. Featuring a Mobius-strip-style track like on Twisted Colossus, riders will take their first lap around the track racing the previously-loaded train, filled with visitors who are completing their second lap. Then, on their second time around the circuit, they'll race the next train.
Along the way, riders will experience four launches — hitting a top speed of 55 miles per hour — three zero G rolls and a zero G stall for four total inversions, and 30 total interactions with the other train, including the "high five" familiar to Magic Mountain fans from Twisted Colossus.
And in between their laps, riders will pass again through the load station, this time on the other side, which will be themed to a "pit stop" in the shop of West Coast Customs, the car design brand that came to fame on MTV's "Pimp My Ride."

Video:

Reactions: Jesy and Zachary
Compared to 2017 and 2018, 2019 seems to be picking up the pace in the coaster world. This coaster looks REALLY promising and it's nice to see premier dipping back into higher level thrill rides.

Note: In the US, Premier has only made 3 lines of coaster since Joker's Jinx in the 90's. These are Skyrockets, Backlot Stunt Coasters, and the two Mummy Coasters. This could be a huge step for Premier to get back into the E-ticket ride market.

Reactions: Zachary
I think I'm less hyped about this one than Maxx Force to be honest. Premier is almost certainly a better manufacturer than S&S, but this feels less daring than what we are seeing out of S&S now.

Also, I feel like West Coast Racers is a bit duplicative in the same park as Full Throttle (custom Premier SkyRocket) and Twisted Colossus (steel mobius loop dueling coaster).

Reactions: Mushroom
^ This will be the Lightning Racer to Full Throttle's Wildcat. Except at least Wildcat had historic value as GCI's debut.

I just finished watching Coaster Studio's West Coast Racers analysis. In addition to having the same concerns about the ride being similar to Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus, Taylor points out a very important, very negative detail from the West Coast Racers concept art.

West Coast Racers has comfort collars.

This ride is dead to me.
First PTC trains go from buzz bars to individual bars, then B&M goes to the tighter vests, now Premier seems to be making comfort collars standard? What gets me about comfort collars, is that this doesn't look to have anywhere near whip transitions - Flight of Fear, etc. has more intense transitions and is lap bar only.

I might as well post a thread about best/worst restraints in the near future.

On one hand, I agree with Zacharys assessment. This ride seems a bit redundant. On the other hand, I've been on Full Throttle and this looks more fun.

The truth is, I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the greatest amusement park on earth and this is just the ticket.

Very blah IMO. Nothing to really excite, and it's yet another ride for SFMM that's a choppy short ride.ee

@SLC Headache posted this quote from Reddit in a new thread regarding the best and worst restraint types, but I felt that it should be included in this thread since everyone interested in West Coast Racers may not have read that thread.
With the tragic confirmation of the Comfort Collars on West Coast Racers

I have to say that this is a disturbing turn of events. I'm not sure why SixFlags has opted to install these since they already have several Premier coasters with inversions that are lap-bar only. I'm afraid that SixFlags saw them on SEAS installations and requested them. If the parks are going to start getting scared and asking for unnecessary comfort collars, I think that Premier is going to have to go to the drawing board and redesign their trains to give the parks what they want, but in a much more comfortable to ride design that doesn't impact load times like the current "solution."

On top of the fact that SixFlags Magic Mountain already has an inverting Premier Launch coaster with lapbar only restraints, they just did extensive work on their old Schwarzkopf looper, Revolution, to remove OTSR and replace them with lapbars. This is really unfathomable and SEAS really owes the community an apology for this series of events.

One more worry about comfort collars here, for West Coast Racers specifically: the minimum height. This looks like it could have been a great 48" minimum ride - it doesn't look that much more intense than Cheetah Hunt and Verbolten. In Magic Mountain's lineup, this looks to be between Apocalypse/Revolution and Twisted Colossus intensity-wise.

So bad news right now, but not for the reasons people believe ala this post:

VCqOOnJ.jpg

I do not believe that the delay is the cause of contracting issues for the track production, but instead it's more related to environmental concerns that have been raised since before this coaster was announced.

Work has barely started even before WCR was announced, and they still haven't started pouring footers.

ACE held CoasterCon here and did a tour of the construction site...

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/aceonlineorg/status/1140754687160832000

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/aceonlineorg/status/1140755778535481345

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad