Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Zachary said:
Looks like BGT is about to demo Tidal Wave. This seems to support the idea that Gwazi is not, in fact, the next BGT project.

[tweet=https://twitter.com/androckb/status/989277914163302406?s=19]

What intrigues me the most about this is that the permit says "no other structures or trees will be demolished." To me, that means that the buildings (some of which are older than the ride itself) will remain.

I don't see how a Tempesto clone will make use of any trees or buildings. It wouldn't surprise me if they demolish that stuff later, but I still think it sounds strange. Why would they bother to get another permit to remove the trees and buildings later?

CastleOSullivan said:
Zachary said:
Looks like BGT is about to demo Tidal Wave. This seems to support the idea that Gwazi is not, in fact, the next BGT project.

[tweet=https://twitter.com/androckb/status/989277914163302406?s=19]

What intrigues me the most about this is that the permit says "no other structures or trees will be demolished." To me, that means that the buildings (some of which are older than the ride itself) will remain.

I don't see how a Tempesto clone will make use of any trees or buildings. It wouldn't surprise me if they demolish that stuff later, but I still think it sounds strange. Why would they bother to get another permit to remove the trees and buildings later?

This is why I love the forums... it’s just a big, long guessing game. But no seriously, I think that another water ride could be in the works. Summer at BGT is devastatingly hot, and although Tidal wave didn’t draw huge crowds, I think an updated version of JTA could draw the sweaty tourist type. We will see how Infinity Falls performs before diving deeper into that analysis.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
CoasterJon18 said:
... But no seriously, I think that another water ride could be in the works.

That is an excellent point. I have been silent about this since I thought the dream of a new water ride was dead. But now, I believe its time to get the rumor mill turning again. It's rare that I do that concerning Tampa.

Anyway, there once were loud rumors predating Escape From Pompeii about Busch Gardens Tampa updating Tanganyika Tidal Wave to include an indoor section with special effects, much like EFP. This rumor only grew as EFP made its debut. People in Tampa thought that Williamsburg was being utilized as a test field for a next-generation water ride by Intamin.

Team Members at the time were so sure that they were getting something like EFP since TTW already seemed somewhat dated by the time it opened. Unfortunately, things didn't go so well with Intamin this time around. That might be why this concept was shelved indefinitely.

Some more related history:
TTW used the infrastructure of an older ride called The African Queen Boat Ride. The path that it followed was even older than that, but The African Queen was the first ride there to add a distinct fisher's village theme.

For TTW, they took the same ride and merely added a lift and a drop at the end. After the Pompeii's rough start, and Journey to Atlantis' initial success, one might think that the chain would have followed the progress made with JTA. Instead, they have increasingly dulled down every water ride addition since then.

With that said, I think it is high time for a new water ride comparable to JTA, and Tampa seems like a prime spot. At this point, I would be disappointed if they did not add a next-generation water ride to Busch Gardens Tampa.

Just saw that the Thrills Brewing thing turned out to be their own Brewmasters' Club. Seems like it took Tampa ages to get their club after Williamsburg's.

Reactions: tursiops
Last edited:
What I do really find interesting: When you open the image in a new tab and zoom in, there's dead end paths as part of the plan with lots of unused areas around there. Banking on future flat ride expansion?

Reactions: Zachary
I half want one of the Fun Spots to buy one without comfort collars out of spite at this point.
I sixteenth want Six Flags to buy the Busch parks, if one of the things they'll do is trash the capacity-killing collars and run the Sky Rocket IIs like Superman SFDK.

^Which is why I only said sixteenth and nowhere near half. Six Flags food is terrible and BGW still beats KD, let alone SFA, in food. And under Six Flags, Tampa might end up becoming like SFDK, but Williamsburg will decay into Gadv except with a weaker ride lineup.

^Which is why I only said sixteenth and nowhere near half. Six Flags food is terrible and BGW still beats KD, let alone SFA, in food. And under Six Flags, Tampa might end up becoming like SFDK, but Williamsburg will decay into Gadv except with a weaker ride lineup.

To be fair though Six Flags does have some weird habits with how they permit their parks to be operated. Six Flags Great Adventure and Discovery Kingdom both have very good animal facilities that were in place well before they were acquired by the chain, and are still sticking around strong. Fiesta Texas has the largest entertainment department in the entire chain, something that has stuck around since before it was a Six Flags park. Hell even under the Six Flags umbrella Fiesta Texas was nationally recognized for its quality shows alongside BGW. Six Flags is not in the financial situation right now where they'd openly let a park deteriorate like they did back in the late 00s and early 10s, they'd probably let BGW do what they wanted as long as the park kept making them money.

Sticking to the topic though, I hope those planning papers are accounting for the possibility of some future flat rides. Not many parks are keen on having a good non-coaster collection and BGT suffers from it pretty badly.

I honestly do not see what a Sky Rocket II will add that Cheetah Hunt doesn't already do. Oh, it goes backwards. But Cheetah Hunt already has the launches and the roll, with a lower minimum rider height. At least Tempesto distinguished itself from Verbolten by the latter not featuring any inversions.

It offers a different ride experience. When it's built Project 2019 will be the tallest inversion in Florida. I hope they put a longer hold on the post roll breaks. Hold that right on the edge for a split second longer. It's going to be a nice addition for them.

And to be honest...I rather have a Shyrocket II than a Vekoma SLC.

Reactions: Zachary
The SkyRocket IIs are cheap and look cool. They bring in guests and make the park money. I, personally, wish all three had all gone to SeaWorld parks; but regardless, I don't think the calculation is that complicated.

I think a better question is whether adding a flat precludes a RMC of Gwazi in the future.

Last edited:
Although it doesn't really fit the trademark names filed, I would love to see a Pulsar clone come to Tidal Wave's spot. It would be a water coaster that is thrilling, cheap(ish?) and would be a first in the US.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad