News Project 2019: Tidal Twister (SkyWarp Horizon)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I've discussed this with @Nicole and decided it would be best to branch discussion for each of the separate rumored attractions featured in the recent Wild Gravity Travels and Behind the Thrills "leaks" into their own discussions in an attempt to not derail conversation regarding Busch Gardens Williamsburg's rumored "Project: Madrid."

If you have no idea what I am talking about, I suggest reading this excellent recap of the insanity that is this leak from OrlandoWeekly.com. It really covers everything you need to know about all of this mess. Just make sure if you want to comment on something specific about one of the rumored attractions that you go to the thread specific to that project.

The Projects:
While it might be difficult to separate these topics since they're so deeply intertwined due to the manner this rumor started, but I'm going to take a moment to recap and summarize rumors related to this individual project.

—————————————

Here are the highlights regarding SeaWorld San Diego's Project:

July 2018
ScreamScape.com said:
(7/27/18) Some breaking news for everyone, SeaWorld San Diego is adding another new coaster for 2019 and have filed the necessary paperwork with the California Coastal Commission. The project will involve the removal of the old restroom structure between the Tide Pools and the Cirque lagoon stadium with the replacement of what looks to be a figure-8 shaped coaster layout that they claim will only be about 22 feet tall or so.

While at first you may dismiss this as being another kiddie coaster or a powered SBF/Visa spinning coaster, I think we may be in for a much bigger treat. A quick look at the layout drawing of the site show that the coaster seems to have loading stations on BOTH SIDES of the
Figure-8… which immediately brought to mind something unique I saw at IAAPA this November that has never been built anywhere before. A Skyline Attractions “Skywarp Horizon”, which features the same loading station layout and a figure-8 layout, except the track goes over an airtime hill on one pass and spirals through a corkscrew below it on the return path.

The only thing is that the layout really just shows a simple figure-8… with no sign of the inversion, and a Skywarp Horizon, while it would perfectly fit the site (115ft x 55 ft) is said to be 30 feet tall, and not 22 feet tall, so perhaps SeaWorld has asked for a more family friendly version of the Skywarp Horizon without the inversion.

1537544467055.png
ScreamScape.com said:
(7/28/18) A little more news leaked out regarding the new coaster coming to SeaWorld San Diego. Backing up our report that this will be possibly the first Skywarp Horizon ride from Skyline Attractions, a report on the ride by the local newspaper confirms that the new ride will contain a moment where the riders are inverted. One of our readers on Facebook posted a neat idea that could also explain the lower height limit, pondering a possible slight change to the design, where instead of a hill over the inversion, what if the train attempted to go UNDER the inversion instead, creating a great "High-5" style moment as the two trains passed by each other here.

1537544453704.png

While the theme is unknown, it was mentioned that the ride would maintain elements of the park's "Rising Tide" conservation program. With the ride also located next to the park's Aquaria tide pool and aquarium exhibit, so I imagine some kind of theme and enhanced animal exhibit could be tied into the ride as well.
Also in July, NewsPlusNotes gave details and analysis regarding the permit filings and is required reading.

Click images to get a better look:
SWSD 2019 Ride Location.jpg SWSD 2019 Ride.jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 4.34.38 PM.png

September 12, 2018
Wild Gravity Travels leaked their information from the slides everyone is talking about. In regards to SWSD here is what they had to say:

Wild Gravity Travels said:
While we don’t have any info on San Diego for 2020, we do have some for 2019. Skyline Attractions smallest model the Skywarp Horizon has been purchased for the park. The park source info states ” dynamic flat-ride-roller-coaster” with a unique “infinity loop track with an airtime hill and and inversion element”. Sounds like the Skywarp Horizon to me.
BGWFans.com reached out to Wild Gravity Travels directly to get more information:
I can't speak on it. I simply acted as a second pair of eyes on the source document to confirm WildGravityTravels wasn't pulling this stuff out of thin air.
September 17, 2018
Behind the Thrills reports that the project is not for 2019, but actually for 2020:

BehindTheThrills.com said:
SeaWorld San Diego: Skywarp Horizon has already been permitted, but we’re going to say that it’s not happening for 2019, but instead 2020. The new ride will keep riders close to the ground, and have them “dueling” each other as they come within inches. It’s the perfect smaller thrill ride for SeaWorld San Diego, which has tons of height restrictions on it’s rides.

Last edited:

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
Get Ready to Ride the Tide!
Coming in May 2019- Feel the thrill of this unique dueling roller coaster ride featuring high-speed turns and upside-down twists.

Introducing Tidal Twister, an all-new dueling roller coaster, which will make its debut as a new attraction at SeaWorld San Diego in 2019. The first of its kind in the world, this unique ride is an exhilarating experience that demonstrates the power of the ocean.

Accelerating to 30 mph, riders will twist and bank as if they are riding the tide along a tight figure-8 track that includes dynamic Zero-G roll at the center section.

Two trains, holding 16 passengers each, load at opposite ends of the figure-8 and cross in the center with guests facing both forward and backward on the trains. A lower-height requirement (48") makes this a perfect ride for younger guests and families.

#RideTheTide2019

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I'm assuming the worst about this attraction after what happened at SFDK but I will say this–the view of Tital Twister down that pathway looks really sharp.

lce

Hard, Hard Times
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
Can't believe this crap infiltrated SEAS. If BGW gets one of these I'll be quite bothered. Don't think I've ever heard of someone who genuinely enjoys them.

Apr 5, 2011
As much as it pains me to say this, these sorts of things make sense for the parks to add. They're cheap and can be advertised as big new experiences. Tigris is the tallest launch coaster in Florida.

Reactions: warfelg
Sep 24, 2018
I agree, warfelg. I think rides like this and Finnegan's Flyers really add to the park. Good flat rides add to the overall experience especially when themed well. I think this ride will be really cool to watch and from what we knew looks to be themed well to the surrounding area.

Also I I don't think that SEAS is going to have that issue as they are still committed from their announced and unannounced lineup to building custom coasters and to actually theming these flat rides. Unlike Six Flags where they just basically bought a ride off the shelf and set it somewhere.

lce

Hard, Hard Times
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
I have no problem with good flats.

This isn't a good flat. These things beat your ass and have little thrill to them.

Cyborg spin accomplishes the same sensation but more thrilling, and doesn't beat your ass.

Mar 16, 2016
I have no problem with good flats.

This isn't a good flat. These things beat your ass and have little thrill to them.

Cyborg spin accomplishes the same sensation but more thrilling, and doesn't beat your ass.
I believe this is the first horizon model, so lets see how more supports and less height effect it's ride experience before chalking it up.

Reactions: lce

lce

Hard, Hard Times
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
I believe this is the first horizon model, so lets see how more supports and less height effect it's ride experience before chalking it up.
Fair point, but I doubt the clankiness will be solved.

These things looked so cool in concept but kinda hit their forehead on the doorway as far as execution went.

I hope this one violates that trend. I'd never wish failure upon a SEAS park.

Reactions: BGWnut
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Does anyone know if SEAS purchased this in bulk? After the trio of Sky Rocket II models located throughout the parks from a financial standpoint if Tidal Twister is a successful attraction it would be a no-brainer to install more of these. They're compact, low to the ground, and extremely easy to market.
  • Coaster
  • Dueling
  • Forwards & Backwards
While they're not actually coasters based on these three marketing points I could see them be pretty easy to fit in parks like BGW and BGT to keep attendance stable in the years between the multi-million dollar coasters.

Reactions: Joe and BGWnut
Login or Register to Hide This Ad