Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Ice

Coffee is for Closers
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
DC Area
So up until today, I didn't believe the little hints King's Island had been dropping about the potential of a new Son of Beast to come back. Ex. the wood under the gravestone at Banshee.

King's Island's social media just posted saying "Something old will be new again. Find out what's returning to Kings Island in 2019 tomorrow, Thursday, August 16th."

I feel like this combined with a lot of the other hints that have been spread by Cedar Fair make it so it is a real possibility.

What else could they be hyping so much for a return?

Reactions: mtorange
Some are speculating that Racer will be RMC'ed because there has been a fair amount of activity around the ride this season. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Son of Beast RMC" rumors were true, though. Both seem plausible.

EDIT: Noticed that the announcement (August 16th) will be on National Roller Coaster Day again! Yay!

The thing I wonder (if RMC is the manufacturer) is if they are actually going to have RMC build a coaster with an extremely similar layout to Son of Beast, vertical loop and all, or if they are just going to build an RMC and slap the name on there like Son of Beast 2 or something just to generate hype while building a totally unrelated ride.

I have to admit if this is a Son of Beast RMC recreation I would be incredibly surprised. There has not really been any reports of construction activity and a roller coaster that large would most likely already be clearing land.

I have to admit if this is a Son of Beast RMC recreation I would be incredibly surprised. There has not really been any reports of construction activity and a roller coaster that large would most likely already be clearing land.

The area occupied by SoB is still somewhat ready and able, since Banshee only took a small part of that land. They still have plenty of space, and an RMC can be much more compact for a bigger thrill then a giant GCI could ever be

This would not be the first time that King's Island slapped an old attractions name on an unrelated coaster just to create hype. If they indeed recycle the same it needs to have nearly the exact same layout. I would think RMC would already be working on it if this were true. It just seems implausible that they would build a brand new RMC in the park after they just got Mystic Timbers.

This would not be the first time that King's Island slapped an old attractions name on an unrelated coaster just to create hype. If they indeed recycle the same it needs to have nearly the exact same layout. I would think RMC would already be working on it if this were true. It just seems implausible that they would build a brand new RMC in the park after they just got Mystic Timbers.

I agree it feels too soon. I could see this if it was slated for like 2021, but two years between two major coasters is not enough. Unless they are desperately trying to get people attracted to King's Island since CP steals most Ohio attendance. KI will always get the local attendance, but if you are central Ohio and just want to go to a park, CP will get your vote any day since it has well more to offer than KI. Maybe they need it to have a similar attraction level, since the two parks are way too similar and close to try to compete with one another.

Ex. BGW and KD compete very fairly because they offer two different experiences. If you are looking for a slightly cheaper just get me on some damn intense rides, KD. if you want more of an "immersive" themed experience (one of the closest-ish things you can get to Disney/Universal outside of there) you'll pay a little more for some rides that aren't quite as good, though good enough.

KI and CP are the same thing (debatable but kinda), except CP has better rides, and is THE Cedar Point. And with CF financials being slightly down, something as notorious as Son of Beast returning would be a huge attendance ringer for KI.

EDIT: Also I can't see how RMC would've had any time to work on this project at all having done so much work getting SV and TT up, it's mainly just Schilke doing the design work there, they don;t have many engineers to back him up with design work. And I am pretty sure they rely heavily on Schilke for the design, since he essentially is the mastermind behind that company being successful.

How interesting, the man who worked right under Ron Toomer at Arrow, one of the most infamous roller coaster engineers ever, is essentially a modern day version of that. Innovating the playing field. But instead of just sitting at his desk twisting wire to invent new inversions, Schilke probably uses veggie straws since it is box track :/

Unless they are desperately trying to get people attracted to King's Island since CP steals most Ohio attendance. KI will always get the local attendance, but if you are central Ohio and just want to go to a park, CP will get your vote any day since it has well more to offer than KI. Maybe they need it to have a similar attraction level, since the two parks are way too similar and close to try to compete with one another.

Despite being in the same state, KI and CP don't compete for attendance as they are in totally separate markets. And CP's annual attendance isn't much higher than KI's. In addition to OH, KI easily draws tons of visitors from surrounding states (KY, IN, TN and WV). CP's attendance advantage comes from being situated a couple hours away from Detroit, which has a metro population larger than both Cleveland and Columbus combined but KI has major support from the Cincy, Columbus, Louisville, and Indianapolis markets. CP is also easily accessible from the Pittsburgh and Western PA areas.

These two parks are far enough from each other that one park doesn't dictate what the other does as far as expansion goes. Either way, they are both going to get their same gate attendance.

As for people talking about Mystic Timbers: I don’t see that as a big enough coaster to say a new one 2-3 years later is too soon. Heck HP is still on an every other year with coasters.

Maybe it will be the first T-Rex and will be Son of Beast.

Ex. BGW and KD compete very fairly because they offer two different experiences. If you are looking for a slightly cheaper just get me on some damn intense rides, KD. if you want more of an "immersive" themed experience (one of the closest-ish things you can get to Disney/Universal outside of there) you'll pay a little more for some rides that aren't quite as good, though good enough.

I know people have different tastes, but what rides at BGW aren't quite as good as at KD? KD is the better park to choose for volume of coasters, but given the amount of rides they have, they really only have a few good ones. No more than the amount of good ones in BGW's lineup.

Reactions: wombat96
I know people have different tastes, but what rides at BGW aren't quite as good as at KD? KD is the better park to choose for volume of coasters, but given the amount of rides they have, they really only have a few good ones. No more than the amount of good ones in BGW's lineup.

It more applies to the thrill seekers, since BGW does have good rides but I meant more in the thrill category. Nothing BGW has is that thrilling except for Bolt and Griffon, and those are kinda pushing it. BGW is moving into more thrilling territory with adding Temp, the swings next year, and the incoming giga, so in a couple years we could see BG just steal KD's audience almost entirely

As for people talking about Mystic Timbers: I don’t see that as a big enough coaster to say a new one 2-3 years later is too soon. Heck HP is still on an every other year with coasters.

Maybe it will be the first T-Rex and will be Son of Beast.

Hershey isn't part of a huge chain of parks like KI where Cedar Fair has to throw at least some money at the other parks every year. You can't really justify how a park will add coasters based on what another park in a different chain is doing.

Hershey isn't part of a huge chain of parks like KI where Cedar Fair has to throw at least some money at the other parks every year. You can't really justify how a park will add coasters based on what another park in a different chain is doing.

While that’s fair enough, it’s a sign that you can build coaster close together and it works out.

Some of the other suggestions by people seem to be more reasonable to me, other than an SoB remake:

Ex. 1: RMC of Racer

Ex. 2: "new" vintage car ride

Someone pointed out something, King's Island made a point to say "something old will become new", not something gone will become new.

I am back to doubting the return of Son of Beast.

What about just topper track on racer?

Not a full RMC conversion but new track, maybe a small reprofile of a hill and a tweet to a turn?

I have no problem with Topper track being installed on older coasters, but it's not something that normally gets marketed by the parks as an addition for the next season. It's usually just part of off season maintenance and never gets mentioned publicly. Unfortunately, RMC has had very little success in marketing Topper track as a "fix" for old roller coasters. Tremors at Silverwood is a great example of a ride keeping it's layout but smoothing out rough spots with Topper Track. Then from what I've seen, Six Flags was really the only other park that bought Topper Track for the "fix-it" purpose. Now, virtually all of the rides that Six Flags initially bought some topper track for in order to fix their rough spots have gotten the full Iron Horse conversion. I personally would love to see more older classic wood coasters get just Topper Track without destroying the old ride's layout just to make them better for the long term.

Reactions: SLC Headache
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad