Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I figured it was a fair title for now given that we're really discussing this announcement:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: wombat96
Live Feed for 2019 Announcement if anyone is interested.

Kings Island just pulled a Kings Dominion 2017 with this marketing campaign. Got people hyped up for a new coaster and we get antique cars. And ONLY that it seems. Looks like there’s not Really More Coming with this one.

To be fair to Kings Island, they really didn't hype this up that much. KD teased their announcement for months and directly hinted at it involving Hurler... only for it to be a Planet Snoopy expansion. Not even close to the same situation IMO.

To be fair to Kings Island, they really didn't hype this up that much. KD teased their announcement for months and directly hinted at it involving Hurler... only for it to be a Planet Snoopy expansion. Not even close to the same situation IMO.

Fair enough. The comments on the live feed definitely brought me back to that situation, though. I'm honestly surprised that KI is only getting the cars, seems like a really small addition.

Yeah the Kings Dominion Planet Snoopy expansion felt almost like a gut punch because there were 1 or 2 teasers seemingly mentioning Hurler and they even showed images of Hurler on their slide show thing at the announcement. Then Gary drops "Planet Snoopy is getting bigger AGAIN!' I mean I get it kids rides are fine coaster dorks like me are very rare but that felt really.......odd.

Reactions: Zachary
Official Press Release
Kings Island said:
Kings Mills Antique Autos
August 16, 2018

Coming Spring 2019

Kings Island's most beloved attraction, the antique cars ride, is returning to the park in spring 2019. In the new Kings Mills Antique Autos family ride, guests will board replica classic touring cars and take a leisurely drive around a scenic track equipped with a small rail to keep the car on the path. The ride will be comparable to the original Les Taxis antique car ride, combining nostalgia with new enhancements.
Kings Mills Antique Autos will be located in Coney Mall, across from the Juke Box Café and alongside The Racer roller coaster. The ride will be a quarter mile in length and last approximately three minutes. The cars are 2/3 scale replicas of the 1911 Ford Model T; though all-new, they will retain the vintage feel of the original Les Taxis. The ride's name, as well as theming throughout the attraction, is expected to enhance the nostalgic experience for riders.

This is great, I am really glad that this is the new addition. Now I am curious if these will be all electric vehicles or if they will be combustion engines. I know one of the leading reasons most parks chose to remove these were the fuel costs. I have to imagine that they went with a more environmentally friendly option.

The park's GM stated that they were going in across from the Jukebox Diner, which would mean the location of the current Party Pavilion. I have to imagine that the Party Pavilion will become the new queue and station location with the actual ride layout being located inside the current Dinosaurs alive area which would make the perfect location for this kind of ride.

I've mapped it out to make it easier to locate:
KI Map.png

EDIT: And slight correction, I don;t know exactly how much space the station and queue would need to take up, but it is probably more likley that the entrance will be that rectangular building next to the Party Pavilion as that is the current entrance to Dinos Alive. The queue could be there, preserving the party pavilion and then the station could actually be on the other side of Racer allowing for minimal modification of the current midway. I'd also imagine if they did this there would have to be no modification to Racer's supports as the path running under it would probably be the reused. Just my random thoughts.

Last edited:
Kings Island just pulled a Kings Dominion 2017 with this marketing campaign. Got people hyped up for a new coaster and we get antique cars. And ONLY that it seems. Looks like there’s not Really More Coming with this one.

The hype was more the enthusiast community reading too much into posters.

Even though I watch their YT channel a lot there was one using the KD teasers to justify that other rides at other parks we’re going to be. There was a similar thing going on here. A poster at CP with tiny KI references turned up to the 200th degree.

And... a double post. You can get a good idea of the area if you take a look at Google Street View on the area. I found it extreamly odd that King's Island installed a temporary tent as the Dinos Alive store while other parks got permanent buildings for it, but I guess it doesn't matter since it's getting replaced with Antique Cars... but I digress... Take a look at the Street View for KI's Dino's alive, the park allowed the Street View Camera into the entire area so you can get a great look at where the new car ride will go. There are SO many trees there in this area; this has to be the most tree coverage of any of the Dinos Alive in the whole chain. The new car ride should be extremely shady and quite beautiful assuming they don't cut down the majority of the trees. This should be a fantastic addition.

Google Street View of Dinos Alive at Kings Island

PS: it would be very amusing if a Dino or two were left in the car ride as a little easter egg. Not right out in plain sight of course...

I really don't want to see Racer become RMC'd --The old KECO Parks already lost Thunder Road, if Racer gets RMC'd then that leaves Rebel Yell errr Racer'75 as the last remaining original Classic KECO Dueling Coasters.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but Racer is Taft era not KECO. KECO took over in '83 almost a full decade after the inception. It is important to draw a line between those two periods. When you look at the OG designs for KD and KI before KECO you can see a much more subtle and I think measured and thouhgtful hand. KD's seeminigly unplanned building happened under KECO along with some of the bizarre decisions like filling in Lake Charles.

Reactions: Mushroom
Not to put to fine a point on it, but Racer is Taft era not KECO. KECO took over in '83 almost a full decade after the inception. It is important to draw a line between those two periods. When you look at the OG designs for KD and KI before KECO you can see a much more subtle and I think measured and thouhgtful hand. KD's seeminigly unplanned building happened under KECO along with some of the bizarre decisions like filling in Lake Charles.

And then Paramount took over and turned the weirdness dial to 12.

But on a serious note I hope that Kings Island can properly supply enough cars to maintain a decent capacity. I'm talking running like 20 or so cars or something in that area, where most parks aren't willing to run more than 10 for whatever reason (looking at its sister park for this one...).

You're splitting hairs really... Taft's Amusement Park Group and King's Entertainment Company were essentially the same group of people; the senior executives and general managers of Taft's Amusement Parks got together and purchased the chain from Taft Broadcasting in 1984. They retained the same management team under KECO that they had when it was known as TAPG. My use of the term "Old KECO Parks" was specifically to exclude the existing Cedar Fair parks and was the reference the 3 Racer clones installed at KD, KI, and Caro.

Reactions: Zimmy and Zachary
I love it when parks share their blueprints and site plans for projects.

Did you notice anything in that site plan? The attractions footprint is entirely on the Coney Mall midway side of Racer and does not utilize any of the former Dinosaurs Alive land. This is going to be a tightly packed layout and significantly less scenic than I think any of us assumed. From what I can tell, the ride will have a pretty small queue area.

I think the bigger thing here is that means that the former Dinos Alive area is going to be saved for something else in the future. Perhaps for that B&M that everyone is speculating will replace Firehawk. But this isn't the thread to talk about that...

@Shane I'm trying to really orient myself to that area and struggling some...care to help?

As for the last part (and not just about Firehawk) but using DA and FH area gives a ton of space to expand on that side, which they badly need.

As for the actual ride....that's a bit of a downer.

@Shane I'm trying to really orient myself to that area and struggling some...care to help?

As for the last part (and not just about Firehawk) but using DA and FH area gives a ton of space to expand on that side, which they badly need.

As for the actual ride....that's a bit of a downer.

If you look at my incorrect post here the area in the tweet from Kings Island is roughly the green circled area almost over to Windseeker. If that description doesn't make sense I'll try and markup a new map image when I have a chance.

Reactions: warfelg
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad