Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Both your blog post and that of Dan'so were well said I commend you both.

One thing that crossed my mind is I wonder how much the bad PR from the Tempesto stunt played unto this. I am sure we will never know but I have to think that the Gazette articles on how they handled BWGFANS played athe least a small role in this. Or did they learn something from their work with KD last year who seems to have good relationships with you guys?

I am starting to wonder if there were voices within BGW's marketing that hated their direction all along. Certainly human nature being what it is I am sure there were at least differing opinions. What I mean, were there important voices that were stepped on by other departments. In the blog he refers several times to the engineering department being gun shy. Working as I do, in an engineering environment, I certainly know that engineers do not like to commit themselves. Ultimately I wonder if certain staff members outside of marketing, who pushed against info release during Tempesto have lost a bit of cache. This can only be speculative because it is a purely peoples opinion, so in the final analysis I guess it does not matter. But it would be neat to know what was said, and possibly more important NOT said in the big window offices.

Honestly, I think half that blog post is sarcastic. He's kind of still trying to play the card that he's doing all of this behind the engineering department's back. The other half about being more prompt in announcing things in the future is probably still true though.

Reactions: Merboy and Luke
In my opinion there is no way the guys at Busch were that ignorant and didn't figure out what he was up to, the whole team is in on this

I was wondering who would pick up on that. Of course the head of Marketing knows 100% of the top-level plan. He would be involved from the very beginning of the project. In the blog he is playing both sides: serious about reflecting and changing tack, but also playful/kidding about "figuring out" what the park is up to.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just a different way to stage an information release, more compatible with the reality that every available shred of evidence gets picked over and shared immediately these days... and nothing is truly un-leakable.

I do wonder if the lack of marketing blitz for Tempesto had at least a little bit to do with the ride manufacturer. Buy a B&M and you can be fairly confident that it will open on time with good hour-to-hour reliability. But if you have a long memory (as BGW engineering seems to), it is quite easy to remember a time when Premier was known for major trouble and delays with their ride systems. I do not get the impression from industry friends that Premier has fully shaken that reputation -- at least, not in certain aspects of their operation. Perhaps Tempesto got the green light from engineering only with the caveat that no marketing blitz or opening date announcement was to predate the successful sign-off of certain late-project milestones.... just in case the project slipped substantially due to either manufacturer or (possibly also) infrastructure issues.

Meanwhile, Cobra's Curse may have already passed similar milestones in Tampa... leading to substantial comfort in W-burg that marketing can take a different and much earlier tack when promoting essentially the same ride system for BGW.

And yes, I do think it will be basically the same Mack spinner ride system that Tampa is currently receiving.

In addition to all of the Project 2017 stuff, within the past two days we have seen the park's the new deal with CW and Marco Polo's Marketplace renders posted publicly to the park's Facebook page. I am beginning to detect a pattern.

After all of the above, I am willing to take what Dan said fully at face value. Originally there was still some doubt in my mind—I suppose years of watching BGW have made me a bit jaded to things like this—but this time the words have been accompanied with immediate action and seemingly sweeping change. Until the park proves otherwise, I believe Dan.

I tend to agree. He promised us transparency and communication, and he seems to be delivering.

On another note, I don't think anyone believes that he literally is hunting down information. Clearly, this is a clever marketing storyline to frame his posts. But that also isn't the point. At least for me, what matters is that BGW for whatever reason seems to be changing their entire approach to information sharing. The big picture is where I think we should focus, not the mechanism for getting there.

HA! This is amazing. It sounds like something straight from the mouth of a Community Manager (which is what I do professionally, so... bias). I love the "us vs them, we're on your side" strategy here and the transparency with which Dan reflects on Tempesto. This is uncharacteristic of BG, but Cedar Fair has been this way for a while. I'm glad to see that Virginia has at least SOME marketing mojo.

Reactions: Luke
Joel Manby mentioned project release dates in the conference call. He said that the parks need "more decorum" and that they need to try to push for March opening dates rather than June. I think that's why BGW is trying so hard.

I don't know what Carl and the other executives spoke of during their meetings. All I know is that they were impressed with what they saw at BGW, versus other parks in the chain.

CastleOSullivan said:
I don't know what Carl and the other executives spoke of during their meetings. All I know is that they were impressed with what they saw at BGW, versus other parks in the chain.

Joel seems to rave about BGW. When the question of Christmas events came up in the conference call, he basically said that Christmas Town at BGW was amazing and the other parks' Christmas events need to strive for that level so the company can be renowned for its Christmas Events. Joel even raved about Carl more than he did anyone else involved in the executive shakeup, even John Reilly. That could be because Joel has just been around this year which has been a much better season for the park compared to the past couple of years. It's surprising how Joel always seems to be taken with BGW.

^Well then forget Trump. Joel will be the one to "make the park great again."
[sub]For those who don't understand the reference, skim through Carl's page.[/sub]

Reactions: wombat96
Matthew said:
Supposedly, BGW was the first theme park Joel ever visited, also.

As in first he visited as CEO or first park he ever visited as a guest? If it's the latter that's kind of like a dream come true.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad