Project 2016: Skull Island: Reign of Kong (Project 340)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Mushroom

Same user, new username
Feb 12, 2011
Here's the full POV of Kong.

I won't pass my final judgement until I ride myself, but I'm not gonna lie, this isn't what I was expecting. In typical Universal fashion, Kong is just another 3D screen simulator ride with the addition of one impressive animatronic at the end.

I was really hoping Universal would do more with this ride than just screens. The queue and exterior looked so promising. But as far as ride type goes, this is no different from Spider-Man and Transformers, and will soon be joined by the similar-sounding Jimmy Fallon and Fast & Furious rides.

Personally, I'd prefer to spend my time in an immersive experience with physical sets and effects any day. For me, the screens just don't feel immersive. They're just fancy movies.

What's sad is that just next door to Kong is Jurassic Park River Adventure, which tells an excellent and thrilling story with no screens and 100% physical effects. I really hope Universal takes another a look at what made some of their older rides so great, and takes a break from the screens.

Sep 29, 2009
Exactly. Why would I go to a movie-based park just to watch more movies? I am curious to see if there are more scenes that weren't shown.

Sep 29, 2009
The problem with The Simpsons ride is that I can draw an line of symmetry between "fake" theme parks (as depicted by The Simpsons) and modern-day Universal. I hope I'm wrong, but Kong seems to just prove my point. The facade looks amazing as always, while the ride should be more than just screens with a giant gorilla head at the end.

Even if the POV is a fair depiction, there may be some room to improve. Granted, most Universal attractions look underwelming on film (today especially). Films just aren't meat to be filmed like live action.

I still look forward to seeing it soon. That animatronic is very impressive, and I hope I can take my criticism back. I'm personally very interested in the feeling of the ride itself.

Reactions: Mushroom and Nicole

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
They used to know how to do that. The original Kong ride is regarded as one of their best classic attractions and that was basically nothing but animatronics.

I think the park just finds screens cheaper and easier to do than full on physical sets. Its a shame too. The Kong animatronic and the opening scenes are pretty amazing. I just wish they'd offset some of the screens with (small) physical sets and maybe an animatronic here and there.

I remember somebody telling me the park wanted to have Kong reach into the ride vehicle and pull the driver out near the end of the ride. It would've been nice if they at least had something similar to that.

Sep 29, 2009
netdvn said:
I remember somebody telling me the park wanted to have Kong reach into the ride vehicle and pull the driver out near the end of the ride. It would've been nice if they at least had something similar to that.
Although I wasn't holding my breath for that rumor to come true, I do think it makes me feel more let down. That would have been amazing, but I bet it would have caused too many additional complications.

I do enjoy thinking about the technology that would have been needed to achieve that effect. What I saw was something similar to the flight rigging in Scrooge No More, except with magnets.

Edit: I also noticed that they seemed to portray Kong as more of a misunderstood hero in this ride. That probably would have been too much of a plot hole anyway.

Jun 13, 2016
netdvn said:
They used to know how to do that. The original Kong ride is regarded as one of their best classic attractions and that was basically nothing but animatronics.

I think the park just finds screens cheaper and easier to do than full on physical sets. Its a shame too. The Kong animatronic and the opening scenes are pretty amazing. I just wish they'd offset some of the screens with (small) physical sets and maybe an animatronic here and there.

Oh my gosh! That would have been AMAZING. I haven't ridden this yet but I'm going down next week and excited to experience it.

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
Rode Kong earlier this week. This is a really good ride.

Pros
Damn the queue line is so well done, its not even funny.
The ride's visual elements are fantastic.
The Kong animatronic is really cool to see in person.

Cons
There was a lack of actors in the queue line. We only saw about 2 or 3 at most. Plus the area they scare is so small.
The ride would rank higher if it wasn't so screen oriented. Granted the film is pretty solid, I think a few more animatronics would've greatly benefited the ride.

This is a very solid addition to the Universal parks. 3.5/5

Apr 29, 2011
Got my first ride last Friday.  Nice queue but I felt the overall ride was way too short.  I like the use of the 3-D screens on each side of the vehicle but once the action really gets going I feel the ride abruptly ends.  I walked off saying "That's it?"

I'm glad I only waited 10 minutes to ride, and after finally getting to experience it, I wouldn't wait any longer than that!

Login or Register to Hide This Ad