Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 1, 2012
1,198
2,718
250
RE: Project 2016

Hmmmm.... well the ride site is compact, barely wider than the Bad Apple ride pad. Not big enough for the infamous Disk-O we're supposed to be getting for 2016. Maybe its our massive Sling-Shot pay-per attraction!!!! Wooooo Hooooo!!!!!!
[end sarcasm here]

I just watched a video of the Sling-Shot attraction at Cedar Point and that proposed ride site is about the size needed for one of those attractions. Course we are only seeing part of the ShockWave's old location. Wonder what else is being installed in that area? And who is to say Shockwave's old spot is the only location in CAG getting something new in 2016? Especially, if another pay-per attraction leaves? There's a lot of available real estate under the Sky-Flyer free-fall pay-per. That land could hold 2-3 small medium sized flat rides.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hokie305 and Peyton
Jul 22, 2014
173
438
160
Virginia Tech
RE: Project 2016

I suppose Cedar Fair is making up for the anti-climatic 40th Anniversary investments on the dry-side of the park.

Thrilled to see more!
 
Nov 1, 2012
1,198
2,718
250
RE: Project 2016

Nicole said:
I rode Cedar Point's Pipe Scream this week and it was a lot of fun.  I would totally support their putting one in at KD.

Not saying we would not get a version of our own; but, aren't those types of Disk-O coasters (yes, that is what they are called), almost 90 yards wide?

That proposed ride site is barely wider than Bad Apple's ride pad and wrap-around queue line; which is about 30-35 yards wide. If we are getting a Disk-O ride on that proposed location, I assume we would be receiving a smaller version, like a Mega-Disk-O ride. That version is only about 41 yards wide (half-pipe only - no hill in the middle).

I'll throw an idea out into left field; what if that proposed ride site is to receive a relocated attraction from elsewhere in the park? Ferris Wheel or Berserker?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mushroom

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Jul 20, 2011
1,993
7,997
260
Williamsburg, VA
RE: Project 2016

Now Kings Dominion is going to hate us just like Busch Gardens does.

pusheen-the-cat-cries.gif
 

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
15,816
45,891
260
Virginia
RE: Project 2016

Luke said:
Now Kings Dominion is going to hate us just like Busch Gardens does.

This isn't really the place for me to get deep into the weeds on this point, but Busch Gardens blacklisted BGWFans long before we leaked anything. Additionally there are a ton of sites out there with strong relationships with their associated parks that do consistently leak things. Lastly, because of the way these were obtained, any dissatisfaction from the park is completely and entirely absurd.

In the industry today, publishing leaks =/= being blacklisted. In regards to BGW though, being BGWFans = being blacklisted- a point that was made clear once again by the park a few weeks ago.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled KD Project 2016 programming...
 
Jul 22, 2014
173
438
160
Virginia Tech
RE: Project 2016

I just got home and glanced at the plans on the computer rather than my iPhone...

It seems like they're expecting it to be a popular ride since they are doubling the width of the Shockwave midway behind Bad Apple.

Finally, the ride appears to only take up 1/4 of the existing Shockwave footprint (not including the forest) leaving plenty of room for other attractions that aren't shown yet.

This should be interesting! Can't wait to see more (hopefully soon!)...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Peyton and Mushroom
Nov 1, 2012
1,198
2,718
250
RE: Project 2016

Hokie305 said:
I just got home and glanced at the plans on the computer rather than my iPhone...

It seems like they're expecting it to be a popular ride since they are doubling the width of the Shockwave midway behind Bad Apple.

Finally, the ride appears to only take up 1/4 of the existing Shockwave footprint (not including the forest) leaving plenty of room for other attractions that aren't shown yet.

This should be interesting! Can't wait to see more (hopefully soon!)...

Actually, I did see more! ;)
 
Oct 21, 2014
50
80
60
Mehanicsville, VA
RE: Project 2016

If you look closely in the Proposed Ride area, you can make out what appears to be the next page of prints. It looks to be a top view of some buildings, and a few recognizable words. After alot of zooming in and out, I was able to make out the words "The Country Kitchen", then a few unrecognizable words. Under that group of words in larger letters appears to be "Building Upgrade". So maybe a renovated/upgraded Country Kitchen is in the works for next year as well?
 

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Jul 20, 2011
1,993
7,997
260
Williamsburg, VA
RE: Project 2016

Zachary said:
Luke said:
Now Kings Dominion is going to hate us just like Busch Gardens does.

This isn't really the place for me to get deep into the weeds on this point, but Busch Gardens blacklisted BGWFans long before we leaked anything. Additionally there are a ton of sites out there with strong relationships with their associated parks that do consistently leak things. Lastly, because of the way these were obtained, any dissatisfaction from the park is completely and entirely absurd.

In the industry today, publishing leaks =/= being blacklisted. In regards to BGW though, being BGWFans = being blacklisted- a point that was made clear once again by the park a few weeks ago.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled KD Project 2016 programming...
Well be that as it may.
 

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
6,094
17,957
250
RE: Project 2016

I looked at satellite images of the Slingshot rides at other Cedar Fair parks and did the math, and the space for the proposed ride is more than twenty feet longer and wider than the pads for the Slingshots. This doesn't mean we can go ahead and rule out a Slingshot, but there are certainly other options.

I will say, if the only ride that replaces Shockwave is a slingshot, I will not be a happy camper. Whether you liked Shockwave or or not, removing a unique roller coaster for nothing but an upcharge attraction does not seem like a good trade off.

Oh well, the announcement should come along soon now and put all this confusion behind us...
 
Jul 22, 2014
173
438
160
Virginia Tech
RE: Project 2016

^ I fully expect more than a SlingShot. As you said, the proposed ride is slightly larger than even the largest SlingShots I measured.

However, I'm hoping whatever the replacement(s) is/are at least one of them has some height to it. One of the few good things about Shockwave was an iconic backdrop to CAG, and I hope something is installed that sticks above the midway to compliment Drop Tower on the opposite side.

Speaking of Drop Tower, with CAG obviously getting attention next season and Bad Apple being repainted, fingers crossed that means Drop Tower gets repainted, too. Triple Spin/Bad Apple got repainted in 2011 and Drop Tower hasn't been painted since it opened in 2003.

There's still buzz going around of an unexpected announcement (similar to last years) this Thursday. Let's hope we hear more before then!
 
Nov 1, 2012
1,198
2,718
250
RE: Project 2016

dude205 said:
Is the more coming still in the works?

You talking about more of the Candy Apple Grove 2016 plans being revealed by Zachary? Only the man can answer that one.

Or you just asking in general if there is more stuff for 2016, in CAG or elsewhere in the park?

I did notice the the Country Kitchen refurbishment plans showing though the top page of the proposed ride site diagram. Plus, Zachary did state that there was "a lot" more for 2016. In my experience on the KD and BGW forums, Zachary is not normally one who over-exaggerates upcoming attraction(s).

Why would KD be angry for this "leak" for 2016? The official park announcement stated that Shockwave's removal was to make way for a future expansion of Candy Apple Grove. Plus, in an interview, Pat Jones stated something was coming in 2016. The plans show a proposed ride site. Absolutely nothing on that diagram gives a single clue to what the ride/attraction will be.

What if the partial CAG plan we have seen is not the final version? We could be getting something else in that particular spot or nothing at all. Plans can change .... or not at all. XP
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad