Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Water Country USA's 2014 Project Leaked

Reposting this for posterity. It's definitely a solid looking concept, and I'm thankful that it'll have a lift hill cause those cloverleaf tubes are a total pain in the ass to carry.

Reactions: Nicole and Hoopla

Is there any word on where the stairs will be to get to the top or how tall it is? :huh:

Hoopla said:
Is there any word on where the stairs will be to get to the top or how tall it is? :huh:

They will be on the tower like all the other rides, and after observing the plans many times, a rough guess is that it is going to be taller than Big Daddy falls, but not as tall as Aquazoid. So just about around the height of Nitro Racer, give or take a couple meters. I hope you get what I'm trying to say and I hope this helps you.

Reactions: Lee

I'm extremely excited for this. Looks like a pretty solid ride. With that in mind, I've been looking over the construction docs for a little while and here's a few things worth noting:

1.) Junior brought up his wishes for a densely wooded area. Sadly the planting plans show
that very little existing foliage will be retained. In fact the proposed plan only has 4 - 6 oak trees planted and then shrubbery all around. The lack of trees, while not retaining the forested feel of the park, serves a point...
2.) The location is smack dab at the front of the park, therefore they've left ample viewpoints (there's a new constructed overhanging deck to the left of the turnstile building). I'm guessing this vista will highlight the TurboWave section of the ride.
3.) Finally just a heads up, so no one looks too far into the matter. The peninsula that juts into the Wild Thang property isn't a path, it's a drainage swale to drain any drip runoff from the new attraction.

There's a fourth point but I can't recall it right now.

Sky

Reactions: Mushroom

Skyrider said:
1.) Junior brought up his wishes for a densely wooded area. Sadly the planting plans show that very little existing foliage will be retained. In fact the proposed plan only has 4 - 6 oak trees planted and then shrubbery all around. The lack of trees, while not retaining the forested feel of the park, serves a point...

Are you talking about me? I know someone did say that, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't me, unless my memory is going bad.

And regarding the trees they do plan on cutting those down. Now not all hope is lost because they are planning on planting flowers and shrubbery on the sides of the queue. Also in certain areas it looks like they are going to grow grass in certain areas too. However the lack of trees shouldn't be all that noticeable, because in case you haven't notice this is going to be a big and compact slide.

Reactions: Sky

The fact that they're only replanting 4-6 Oak trees shows that WCusa really doesn't give a hoot about the forested feel anymore. They also seem to have abandoned the ideal of the park not being visible from outside, since this thing will be visible from the highway driving by.

I'm also going to be kind of irked that Wild Thang will be visible from the main walkway now, but I'll probably get past it knowing that this new slide will hold the bulk of the park's attendance for the day. I'm going to make sure to get there at opening so I do not have to wait in line.

Reactions: Mushroom

JuniorBGWfan28 said:
Are you talking about me? I know someone did say that, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't me, unless my memory is going bad.

Yea you brought up mulch as the only clear groundcover and how you hoped existing trees and foliage would be retained. Honestly I don't expect dense foliage and massive amounts of shade in a waterpark. A guy needs to get his tan on.

And b.mac, which highway will it be visible from? 64 is a ways away from the park property.

Sky

Reactions: Jrbgwfan06

This ride sounded cool, then I saw the plans. I'm not sure what makes it undesirable but there is just some feeling that I will not enjoy this addition. Not because I may or may not ride it, but because it just doesn't seem to attract me.

b.mac said:
The fact that they're only replanting 4-6 Oak trees shows that WCusa really doesn't give a hoot about the forested feel anymore. They also seem to have abandoned the ideal of the park not being visible from outside, since this thing will be visible from the highway driving by.

Actually that is not necessarily true. If you look at the site clearing plans they are only removing trees that they absolutely have to for construction. They will be keeping trees in between the construction zone and the main path, and in between Wild Thang and the Construction Zone. Also, 4-6 trees seems about right considering that this is going to take up a HUGE footprint, and cover about all the ground it is being built on. So I really don't think that Wild Thang will be visible from the path considering that there will be a huge slide, and trees in front of it. And is it really that bad that we are going to be able to see this from the parking lot? There aren't really any water parks where there are no attractions that you can see from the parking lot. Plus you can already see the back of Malibu Pipeline. As long as it has shrubbery around it I'll be fine, it doesn't necessarily have to be trees. And trees will grow over time, Malibu Pipeline had only a couple trees when it opened, but now it's pretty shady.

Reactions: Sky

Skyrider said:
And b.mac, which highway will it be visible from? 64 is a ways away from the park property.

Route 199, not sure if it qualifies as a highway but just clarifying that for now.

jrbgwfan said:

You are sorely mistaken if you think a small amount of trees will be removed for this ride and that 4-6 trees will cover the losses in due time. The footprint that this ride will occupy will remove a large amount of the buffer from the entrance walkway to Wild Thang, in fact it will be occupying some space where Atomic Breakers once stood. Here is an earthview of where the slide is going, do you see that blue tube in the woods? That's Wild Thang. With the current tree cover that ride is barely visible from where the Conservation Cove is, all those trees within a few feet of the lift hill and the tower will have to be removed, and considering what they did with Vanish Point they will remove those and quite a few more for posterity. You're talking more than 40 feet of trees being removed between Wild Thang and the main walkway.

b.mac said:
You are sorely mistaken if you think a small amount of trees will be removed for this ride and that 4-6 trees will cover the losses in due time. The footprint that this ride will occupy will remove a large amount of the buffer from the entrance walkway to Wild Thang, in fact it will be occupying some space where Atomic Breakers once stood. Here is an earthview of where the slide is going, do you see that blue tube in the woods? That's Wild Thang. With the current tree cover that ride is barely visible from where the Conservation Cove is, all those trees within a few feet of the lift hill and the tower will have to be removed, and considering what they did with Vanish Point they will remove those and quite a few more for posterity. You're talking more than 40 feet of trees being removed between Wild Thang and the main walkway.

I never said that they were removing a small amount of trees, I said that they are only removing trees that they absolutely have to for construction. However if you would just look at the site clearing plans then you would see that they will be keeping the trees around Wild Thang. I guess we'll see what happens.

JuniorBGWfan28 said:
And the only reason I'm not so mad at you is because I have no Idea what you're talking about by replacing my words with "sic." And I do see you typed to change up my username for your enjoyment. I'm so disappointed to see your level of maturity is lower than a 14 year old's.

I was multiquoting and the quickest way to get to highlight your post (which is directly above mine) was to just type your name and post -sic-, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted something in my posting but it was in no way meant to offend you or negatively reflect on your posting. Next time there's an issue feel free to PM so we don't end up derailing discussion.

Thanks for the information. I clicked on the Tornado 24 link in the article and slide 10 of 13 is labeled "TORNADO 24, Water Country USA, USA". Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the diagram.

Party Rocker said:
This ride sounded cool, then I saw the plans. I'm not sure what makes it undesirable but there is just some feeling that I will not enjoy this addition. Not because I may or may not ride it, but because it just doesn't seem to attract me.

I completely agree. Although I plan on riding it when it opens, it just doesn't look like it will be very exciting. The slide looks really short and the Tornado 24 element seems way to small. Compared to the Tornado 60 at Great Wolf Lodge or KD, the Tornado 24 in the new attraction at WCUSA is tiny. The TornadoWAVE looks interesting, but I still think that this ride is going to be very underwhelming.

kingadam said:
I completely agree. Although I plan on riding it when it opens, it just doesn't look like it will be very exciting. The slide looks really short and the Tornado 24 element seems way to small. Compared to the Tornado 60 at Great Wolf Lodge or KD, the Tornado 24 in the new attraction at WCUSA is tiny. The TornadoWAVE looks interesting, but I still think that this ride is going to be very underwhelming.

I actually am really excited for this ride. Just plain Tornados, in my opinion are highly overrated. There is only 5 seconds of actual adrenaline fun, the area where it drops into the tornado, and the 2 first times you go up the wall. The rest of the ride is slow and not really eventful. I like this ride because not only will you have the Tornado, but you'll know that there will be something even bigger after that. Anticipation is key, for the thrill.;) And I can almost guarantee you that this will be longer than a Tornado 60.
Plus why would we want something that almost every other water park has? I like this because it is something that other water parks won't have, which will make it even more unique. Also, it seems a lot more thrilling than any other ride in the park. It looks like it will have a lot of Zero g moments, and a lot of chances to get wet. I think we should just all be happy that WCUSA is getting a ride at all, and even more because it is going to be the first in North America.:)

Reactions: Hoopla and Mushroom

The Tornado 60 is meant to be a standalone element by itself due to its sheer size. Not many water parks have the terrain or are really willing to use a Tornado 60 along with other Proslide elements, even the Hydromagnetic Tornados built recently are just the Tornado's standing alone. The sheer size of them along with the weight means that they pretty much have to be built as close to the ground as possible, whereas a Tornado 24 or Tornado 45 are much lighter and can be built up in the air along with other slide elements like a TornadoWave or BehemothBowl 40.

The only water parks that I'm aware of that can get away with a slide that has a Tornado 60 combined with other elements are on incredibly hilly terrain like Camel Beach, Blizzard Beach, and maybe Holiday World by the looks of how they built Mammoth. Beyond those it's too much of an engineering nightmare to build a tower large enough to add any slide elements on top of a Tornado 60 (since the tower is already 50-60 feet off the ground just so the tubes can have enough momentum to make it thrilling).

I do agree that WCusa can do better than what they're offering, but I personally think a slide like this is something that they need fairly badly. Tornados are popular, no other slide in the US has a Wave element, therefore it's marketable. 10 years late but marketable.

For those of you who aren't so great at reading plans, I've gathered some information based on the plans about the slide itself.

In addition to the other elements we all know that a waterslide wouldn't be complete without Water-curtains! For those of you who don't know what these are, water-curtains are those things that spill water on you at either the beginning or end of the enclosed part of a waterslide. Malibu Pipeline, Aquazoid, Big Daddy Falls, and Wild Thang have Water-curtains at some point in their layout. Based on the plans it looks as though there will be 2 on this new Waterslide. There will be one after the Tornado 24, and right before you enter the splash-pool.

Based on my estimations, I've figured that the duration of the ride will be longer than 30 seconds, but not quite as long as a minute. I'm predicting that it will be between 40 seconds and 55 seconds in duration.

It seems as though that the Tornado 24 will be open, and not enclosed. If it were enclosed it probably would've been a great area to put some theming, but I guess they decided for external visual appeal, they wanted it to be open. After all this part of the ride should be visible from the parking lot and main entrance, so it could be really cool to see rafts go up the side of the Tornado, which may draw even more riders.

I know this has already been said but it looks like they will have Clover-leaf rafts. However, there will be a belt to pull them up to the top so that you won't have to carry it all the way up the stairs, like other parks may make you do with these type of rides.

I can't really tell what the height of the tower is because it doesn't give any measures. However, I would guess that this will not be as tall as Aquazoid, but bigger than Big Daddy Falls, so it still might be somewhat of a climb to the top.

Also, when do we think, now that all the plans have been leaked, that BGW will make an announcement? I hope its soon I'm getting really tired of waiting.

Well they posted teasers on Facebook and someone was kind enough to link to the WCusa news update on here (linked in the OP), so BGW/WCusa will have to break the news at some point now that WYDaily forced Zach to play all the cards. I give them a few weeks max.

Okay, sorry for the posting so much, but I feel like I needed to say this.

After a little bit of math, guessing, and estimating, I think I have gotten a rough estimate of the capacity of this slide. Proslide has not posted any specific capacity for Worldalley slides, because they vary based on the type of slide the owner wanted. After guessing how many rafts could pass through the slide each minute, and the amount of people on each raft I've gotten a pretty good estimate of this rides capacity.

I think the absolute max capacity for this slide is around 800 riders per hour. Which is very good for a waterslide, and is almost un-heard of except for on other Mammoth, high capacity waterslides.

I believe that the average capacity will be around 650-700 riders per hour, which is still really good. There are very few waterslides with that high of a capacity.

Now if for some reason everything seems to be going very slowly(Conveyor Belt stops every other raft, people are taking forever to get into the raft, etc.), then I Think the lowest capacity would be around 500-550 riders per hour. Which isn't bad, but isn't that great either.

Overall I think this is going to be a very high capacity waterslide, and a fun one at that.:)

Am I getting a little too obsessed?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad