What type of coaster do you want?

  • Flyer

    Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Wooden

    Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Something Else

    Votes: 20 32.8%

  • Total voters
    61
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
This thread is for discussing the project that will replace The Big Bad Wolf. Obviously the prevailing rumor is that Spain will be added to take over the land left behind by Drachen Fire and now, Big Bad Wolf and that a new flying roller coaster will be added.

There have also been suggestions that a new train station will be added to the new section to help with foot traffic, but there are some that say the grade of track as is currently is would make this impossible as the trains would be unable to start moving if they stopped there.

What does everyone else think?
 
Sep 23, 2009
282
3
70
North Carolina
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

I had a thought when I read that Spain was a possibility. What about a themed ride to the Running of the Bulls? I'm hoping for something fast and smooth. Flying coasters are all right, depending on how they're set up. I much prefer like Superman at Six Flags Georgia to one like Nighthawk (formerly Borg, formerly something else long ago) at Carowinds. I really hope it will be a new coaster and not a moved coaster.
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

kcracken said:
I had a thought when I read that Spain was a possibility. What about a themed ride to the Running of the Bulls? I'm hoping for something fast and smooth. Flying coasters are all right, depending on how they're set up. I much prefer like Superman at Six Flags Georgia to one like Nighthawk (formerly Borg, formerly something else long ago) at Carowinds. I really hope it will be a new coaster and not a moved coaster.

A 4-D type of ride with a Running of the Bulls theme could probably be pretty good, but I'm thinking that they're going to want to add new types of attractions, I'm thinking the flyer rumor and the drop tower rumor are the most plausible at this time, but there's a reason they're just rumors still.

I don't think we have to worry about a coaster that's been used at another park. BGW builds new rides, I actually can't think of a ride in the park (outside of the carousel) that's been in use anywhere except the park.
 

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
15,839
45,983
260
Virginia
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

kcracken said:
I had a thought when I read that Spain was a possibility. What about a themed ride to the Running of the Bulls? I'm hoping for something fast and smooth. Flying coasters are all right, depending on how they're set up. I much prefer like Superman at Six Flags Georgia to one like Nighthawk (formerly Borg, formerly something else long ago) at Carowinds. I really hope it will be a new coaster and not a moved coaster.

The Running of the Bulls idea is actually pretty good. If they did that though, I think it would have to be a launch coaster for it to be themed very well. I don't see a launch coaster being put in unless it was a hybrid B&M like Hulk at IOA (Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure) which would be just fine with me BTW. What ever they put in, it better not go over the Rhine River very far, because it would DESTROY the view.

A 4-D type of ride with a Running of the Bulls theme could probably be pretty good, but I'm thinking that they're going to want to add new types of attractions, I'm thinking the flyer rumor and the drop tower rumor are the most plausible at this time, but there's a reason they're just rumors still.

I don't think we have to worry about a coaster that's been used at another park. BGW builds new rides, I actually can't think of a ride in the park (outside of the carousel) that's been in use anywhere except the park.

I REALLY hope that it isn't another 4-D thing. I definitely feel that a flyer is most likely, but I don't want to see a drop tower. It just wouldn't fit with the park. An indoor launched free-fall ride would be pretty amazing though. I don't know why, but normal drop tower rides don't do much for me. I rode the one at KD just a few days ago, and it wasn't that amazing. You go up, then you come down. That's it.

I agree that we won't see a recycled coaster. It just doesn't happen at Busch parks (with the exception of the Wild Maus (is that what it was called?) which was moved to the Tampa Busch).
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Yeah it was Wild Izzy when it was originally put in as a celebration for the 96 olympics. It was supposed to just be a temporary ride, but it was so popular that it was kept in the park and renamed Wild Maus. To be honest, that ride scared me more than any other coaster in the park. I just knew the car was going to shoot off the track in one of the turns.

I have to agree about the drop tower, it's not something I'm too keen on seeing in the park. I think if it is built in BGW it will separate itself from most drop towers in the level of theming and ride dynamics that go into it. Maybe something like the drop tower at Port Aventura, that's a stand-up floorless will be good. I seriously doubt the park would add another 4-D ride, it was just the first thing that popped into my head with the running of the bulls idea. A B&M launch could go with that theme, but I've heard that B&M refuses to do another launch coaster and I certainly would not want an Intamin in BGW.
 

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
15,839
45,983
260
Virginia
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Chris said:
A B&M launch could go with that theme, but I've heard that B&M refuses to do another launch coaster and I certainly would not want an Intamin in BGW.

How I understand it is that B&M refuses to make a launch coaster and has always been that way. Universal insisted on a launch coaster though, so B&M built the ride and a 3rd party did the launch. Though I have never been on the Hulk, I hear it is amazing, and it sure looks amazing. BTW: I DO NOT want an Intamin at Busch either, and I don't think there would ever be one coming either. You don't fix what doesn't need fixing, B&M and Busch produce amazing coasters, and have been doing it for a while now.
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

I've been on Hulk and it is a good ride, I didn't know that it was Universal requesting it be a launched coaster but I did know that it was a third party launch system. I guess B&M just isn't comfortable with the launch technology as it is right now? I'm not sure if Hulk has downtime issues or not, but it's def. a different way to start a B&M. I think it would be awesome to have a flyer launched into a zero-g roll out of the station.
 
Sep 23, 2009
282
3
70
North Carolina
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Hulk is a great coaster, or was when I rode it 7 years ago. I like your idea, Chris, of a launching flyer. That would be different and quite exciting. I REALLY do hope it's not a drop. I hate those.

The only types of coasters BGW doesn't have are launch, woody and the drop. Why not a woody on par with Gwazi? I think a GCI woody would rock BGW. I love their style and cars. They are so smooth. I rode Thunderhead its first season. It was so fast. My husband and I are going to Tampa in the spring, so we'll get to ride Gwazi.

Best choices I think are wooden or launching.
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

kcracken said:
Hulk is a great coaster, or was when I rode it 7 years ago. I like your idea, Chris, of a launching flyer. That would be different and quite exciting. I REALLY do hope it's not a drop. I hate those.

The only types of coasters BGW doesn't have are launch, woody and the drop. Why not a woody on par with Gwazi? I think a GCI woody would rock BGW. I love their style and cars. They are so smooth. I rode Thunderhead its first season. It was so fast. My husband and I are going to Tampa in the spring, so we'll get to ride Gwazi.

Best choices I think are wooden or launching.

A woodie could be fun as BGW has the terrain to make it exciting, but we have to remember that Kingsmill residents would not go for the noise created by one. Also, Busch has to add an attraction that is a significant draw to the general public. Quite frankly, a great woodie would have less draw that the only flyer in the mid-Atlantic because for most people the ride type determines uniqueness rather than the actual ride features. I think BGW is likely going to let KD have a corner on the woodies and go for something that you can't find anywhere else in the area.
 
Sep 25, 2009
5
0
10
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Hello all, first post here.

Last weekend I was chatting with one of the former BBW ride operators (now working another ride) who said that they were told that the attraction replacing the Wolf is "an amazing roller coaster", and that there WILL be a new land, but they did not know if it will be Spain. Totally unofficial, I know, but passing it on for what it's worth!
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Swiftman said:
bgwilliamsburg@myspace said:
Hello all, first post here.

Last weekend I was chatting with one of the former BBW ride operators (now working another ride) who said that they were told that the attraction replacing the Wolf is "an amazing roller coaster", and that there WILL be a new land, but they did not know if it will be Spain. Totally unofficial, I know, but passing it on for what it's worth!

Welcome to the BGWfans.com Forums!

I have spoken to a few ride operators, and they all seem to agree that there will be a new "area". For the coaster on the other hand, I have heard everything from no coaster, to 2 coasters (possibly racing).

Racing flyers would be pretty awesome if they actually remain synced. I've heard that Gwazi doesn't always race now (granted they're 10 years old). That would obviously be something that can't be found anywhere else in the world and it would be pretty cool to come face to face with riders on another train.
 
Sep 25, 2009
27
0
10
twitter.com
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Chris said:
Swiftman said:
bgwilliamsburg@myspace said:
Hello all, first post here.

Last weekend I was chatting with one of the former BBW ride operators (now working another ride) who said that they were told that the attraction replacing the Wolf is "an amazing roller coaster", and that there WILL be a new land, but they did not know if it will be Spain. Totally unofficial, I know, but passing it on for what it's worth!

Welcome to the BGWfans.com Forums!

I have spoken to a few ride operators, and they all seem to agree that there will be a new "area". For the coaster on the other hand, I have heard everything from no coaster, to 2 coasters (possibly racing).

Racing flyers would be pretty awesome if they actually remain synced. I've heard that Gwazi doesn't always race now (granted they're 10 years old). That would obviously be something that can't be found anywhere else in the world and it would be pretty cool to come face to face with riders on another train.

I like the idea of dueling (not side-by-side) flyers better than a racing flyer.
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Apparently there are now some rumors coming from employees that suggest the new coaster going in is going to be another hyper.

Obviously I'm taking this with a grain of salt, while I think it's unlikely that a new hyper would go in, I heard from another person that they spoke to an employee that said the new coaster would be a combination of Apollo's Chariot and Griffon. I couldn't figure out what that could be, mostly because it never occurred to me that another hyper would go in. Let me preface this next sentence with an acknowledgment that this is speculation to the max.

What if the coaster going in is a floorless hyper? Forget the fact that to fit a hyper into that area would probably require it to be a triple or quad out and back, let's have some good old fashioned speculation!
 
Sep 25, 2009
27
0
10
twitter.com
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

I am kinda hoping for a racing coaster,or a dueling coasters.
Both are fun and probably could go well with a Spanish theme. Busch is very creative and will probably think of something. But what ever they decide I'm sure that it will be a great ride.
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Yoshi said:
I am kinda hoping for a racing coaster,or a dueling coasters.
Both are fun and probably could go well with a Spanish theme. Busch is very creative and will probably think of something. But what ever they decide I'm sure that it will be a great ride.

A racer could allow for a theme brought up earlier, running of the bulls and I think a dueling flyer would be great for a dragon theme. Obviously there's already been a dueling dragons, but I feel like there's at least a 50% chance that whatever goes in will have a dragon theme especially if it's a flyer.
 
Sep 23, 2009
282
3
70
North Carolina
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Okay, going through the coaster behind the scenes today, the replacement coaster has been in the works for at least four years in order for it to be up soon.

The reason BBW was retired was because of the swinging motion and the way Arrow made their coasters, welds instead of bolts. The swinging motion of the cars and the way they rode on the rails was wearing both the rails and the wheels. And if anyone has the chance to go on the behind the scenes, DO SO! It is incredibly AWESOME!
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Anyone think this might be on its way to Williamsburg eventually?
 

Attachments

  • db_2009_0901_BMTrack11.jpg
    db_2009_0901_BMTrack11.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 29
  • db_2009_0901_BMTrack21.jpg
    db_2009_0901_BMTrack21.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 35
  • db_2009_0901_BMTrack31.jpg
    db_2009_0901_BMTrack31.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 30
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

I'm gonna go ahead and put this out there. Obviously there is no consensus according to the poll on this thread as to what will be type of new coaster people want to see go in, but I'm going to actually be a little upset if the new coaster is not a flyer. With all the rumors about a flyer being the most likely type of coaster going in, I've been watching videos of Manta and imagining what the next step up from that ride is going to be and I want it to be in BGW.

I see the progression from Manta to the next flyer like the progression that took place from Montu to Alpengeist.

 

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
15,839
45,983
260
Virginia
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

It has become a rule, anything FL gets, VA gets a better one (except DF).
 
Sep 23, 2009
1,617
582
250
RE: Replacement Project For Big Bad Wolf

Swiftman said:
It has become a rule, anything FL gets, VA gets a better one (except DF).

Yeah, we got the shaft in the early 90's. Tampa got a classic, we got DF.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad