Login or Register to Hide This Ad

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
One possible solution that would be extremely unpopular would be to go the SF model and have a house that is an up charge and might psy for the extra staffing.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Where are people on one or two outdoor houses with MINIMAL staffing and VERY spaced out groups? Like, imagine if the park opened Lumberhack with, say, five or six actors with chainsaws with a max of a few groups in the house at a time? Maybe the same idea with a modified (read: minimizing indoor areas) Circo? I know most of us would go no matter what the park does, but do you think those two attractions run like that may be enough for most people this year in light of Covid?

Is there any universe in which those two outdoor houses open without casts at all? Maybe with some added lighting/sound/atmospheric effects?

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Where are people on one or two outdoor houses with MINIMAL staffing and VERY spaced out groups? Like, imagine if the park opened Lumberhack with, say, five or six actors with chainsaws with a max of a few groups in the house at a time? Maybe the same idea with a modified (read: minimizing indoor areas) Circo? I know most of us would go no matter what the park does, but do you think those two attractions run like that may be enough for most people this year in light of Covid?

Is there any universe in which those two outdoor houses open without casts at all? Maybe with some added lighting/sound/atmospheric effects?

Could work, however not extremely re-ridable without scare actors as suggested.

I would think with this year's restrictions that's probably ok, but then those mazes should probably not be used again whenever the restrictions are lifted (next year or later as may be necessary) so that they're more enticing. Of course, that probably won't be the case.

Reactions: horsesboy
Jul 28, 2020
Could work, however not extremely re-ridable without scare actors as suggested.

I would think with this year's restrictions that's probably ok, but then those mazes should probably not be used again whenever the restrictions are lifted (next year or later as may be necessary) so that they're more enticing. Of course, that probably won't be the case.
I wouldn’t even want to go through a maze with no actors that would be kinda boring. I think they could certainly bring back some Scare-actors but no more than 1 in a room and some rooms with zero actors

Reactions: Applesauce
Oct 22, 2019
We’re out of my wheelhouse, given that I’ve skipped the houses on my Howl-O-Scream trips. But given that Tampa isn’t even doing a single maze, I somehow doubt that they’d run one in a state with much stronger feelings regarding the theme park industry’s ability to operate safely. As it is, the optics of announcing that Howl-O-Scream is happening would be messy, to the point where they have to be wondering if using the branding risks sending both the wrong message to detractors and a misleading message to guests about what’s in store.

For me, the issue with mazes is less about capacity and more about how you enforce social distancing when there’s no oversight. As it is, the rides and paths lack enforcement of social distancing, but everything is fairly open. If I’m in a maze and get kids refusing to social distance, what do I do? Where do I go? It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen, and I think “confined space,” even outdoors, strikes me as both a real and a perceived risk they would rather avoid.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I agree with the concerns you raise, which is why I specifically suggested two outdoor paths that were very creepy, but fairly large and not dependent on jump scares. The actors were more atmospheric.

Additionally, there are groupers out front and supervisors stationed throughout the houses. So, there is already a structure in place for the park to enforce social distancing. Furthermore, KD scare actors are trained to hold up and separate guests in their houses. Those sorts of techniques, combined with limited capacity have the potential to keep outdoor mazes safe.

Oct 22, 2019
I agree with the concerns you raise, which is why I specifically suggested two outdoor paths that were very creepy, but fairly large and not dependent on jump scares. The actors were more atmospheric.

Additionally, there are groupers out front and supervisors stationed throughout the houses. So, there is already a structure in place for the park to enforce social distancing. Furthermore, KD scare actors are trained to hold up and separate guests in their houses. Those sorts of techniques, combined with limited capacity have the potential to keep outdoor mazes safe.

I take your point that there are strategies that could mitigate the situation, but I can’t shake the feeling that their decision to not even try in Tampa is an indication of what they perceive as the cost/benefit to trying to make that work safely and efficiently.

Reactions: BGWnut

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Since the September event is mostly savory dishes, I think it would be cool if BGW did a dessert party in November. They could serve champagne, hot cocktails, and desserts. It would have to include tons of custard, of course.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad