Pointless Discussions

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Feb 14, 2019
I wish I was up that early, but alas I was dead asleep. I think adrenaline alone of watching the implosion would have been enough for a cheer.

Btw, they had been disassembling various parts of the structure for months ahead of the blast. And what's amazing to me there was that they did this with their brand new shiny glass facade building only maybe 50 or less yards away.

Reactions: Alf33 and warfelg
Mar 16, 2016
I wish I was up that early, but alas I was dead asleep. I think adrenaline alone of watching the implosion would have been enough for a cheer.

Btw, they had been disassembling various parts of the structure for months ahead of the blast. And what's amazing to me there was that they did this with their brand new shiny glass facade building only maybe 50 or less yards away.
When Pittsburgh imploded Three Rivers Stadium, Heinz Field was about 35 feet away.

Reactions: Jonesta6

The Quist

The Ghastly Grinner messed me UP as a kid
Sep 7, 2018

I haven't seen anyone post about this yet, but please feel free to move it if needed.

I take issue with her rational that being a victim of domestic assault has caused her issues with transgender individuals. I don't understand the correlation she is trying to draw there and I wonder what would happen if someone excused their hatred for an entire race of people because they were once wronged by someone. I also don't like the fact that she is name dropping gay friends who are also not trans friendly. Great, JK, I have a black friend that loves Trump. We both know an outlier.

Now the controversial part. I have seen so many actors from the HP series come out against JK and while I agree with their stance, I hope that no one wishes to silence her. She has a right to her views, whether they are popular or not. The answer to bad speech or hate speech is more speech. And regardless of what she says, nothing will ever take a way my love for the universe she created. Imagining myself as Hermione or Tonks while reading the books was one of the best escapes ever, whether she intended for me to have that experience or not.

Also, not saying Dumbledore is not gay. But if you are going to claim a character is gay after the fact when you never explicitly stated it in the book, you are just paying lip service to the gay community. It obviously seems like an afterthought, or maybe one of her (apparently many) gay friends took issue and she had to do some damage control.

But seriously JK, you have a fan for life whether you like it or not, and whether you think I am valid or not. Peace bitch.

Mar 16, 2016
I do agree with much of what you said there @The Quist and love the way you are separating the author from the work.

Although you bring up something that has bothered me lately with pop culture and that’s the retroactive hating on TV shows and characters by applying a modern lens on it. Looking at Friends and talking about how hateful towards certain groups it was when in the mid-90’s the culture to not do so didn’t exist. The one that got me going was the Seinfeld episode about the gay guy mistake. There was a petition I saw pop up recently about getting rid of that episode for its lesson that “gay is wrong”. I read that thinking to myself that episode came out in 1989 when that topic wasn’t one even talked about on TV let alone the characters saying “not that there’s anything wrong with that”.

Basically the long way to say: thank you for not retroactively applying today’s culture on something that already exists and is done.

The Quist

Sep 7, 2018
I feel so bad that in a time of so much going wrong, I personally have so much going right.

I got a new car, I'm moved into my awesome new apartment, I've met an awesome woman through a dating app. Just feels wrong.
I don't think you should feel bad about things going well. There is so much good that we never hear about because its not sensational. The world needs more positivity right now.

Mar 16, 2016
Hardywood West Creek is doing tent rentals. 2.5 hour block, 6 pack, 2 koozies, and a bucket (the latter two you get to keep). Guaranteed outdoor spot. Can request tables and chairs. Food trucks here each night too.

http://instagr.am/p/CBY9BQxjCYk/
And yes that’s my insta. Follow if basically you want to see pictures of my dog, beer, and golf.

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com

I haven't seen anyone post about this yet, but please feel free to move it if needed.

I take issue with her rational that being a victim of domestic assault has caused her issues with transgender individuals. I don't understand the correlation she is trying to draw there and I wonder what would happen if someone excused their hatred for an entire race of people because they were once wronged by someone. I also don't like the fact that she is name dropping gay friends who are also not trans friendly. Great, JK, I have a black friend that loves Trump. We both know an outlier.

Now the controversial part. I have seen so many actors from the HP series come out against JK and while I agree with their stance, I hope that no one wishes to silence her. She has a right to her views, whether they are popular or not. The answer to bad speech or hate speech is more speech. And regardless of what she says, nothing will ever take a way my love for the universe she created. Imagining myself as Hermione or Tonks while reading the books was one of the best escapes ever, whether she intended for me to have that experience or not.

Also, not saying Dumbledore is not gay. But if you are going to claim a character is gay after the fact when you never explicitly stated it in the book, you are just paying lip service to the gay community. It obviously seems like an afterthought, or maybe one of her (apparently many) gay friends took issue and she had to do some damage control.

But seriously JK, you have a fan for life whether you like it or not, and whether you think I am valid or not. Peace bitch.
I’m so glad you brought this up because I’m so interested in hearing the opinions of transpeople about this. I’m gay and very proud and protective of all who fall into the LGBTQ+ family including allies; but I’m also a cis male, so I don’t think my voice is the one that matters right now (this rambling post notwithstanding). Rowling is an incredibly positive and influential figure in the lives of many of our generation and as you said this creates an immediate conflict as she takes a stand on this issue. The situation reminds me vividly of the ‘Dumbledore conundrum’ in the books wherein this beloved moral leader is revealed to be less than perfect - how do you negotiate that?

For the record I believe that transwomen are women, sex is not the same as gender, and perhaps most importantly, what makes a woman is not her anatomy. But again, I’m a cis male and not a woman and hence open to feedback! ...Rowling came to the conversation in her essay with a lot of information and points about which she feels strongly, points that automatically separate her from my values, but points that imply at least that this is a big topic with lots of nuance. In sum, my understanding was that she feels acknowledging transwomen as women invalidates or negates or in some way makes her own experience of womanhood “less than”, but I may be interpreting that incorrectly and thus was wondering what you thought (if you’re comfortable with doing so and only since you mentioned it). I’ll also say that Rowling of all people seems to know that when anyone is relegated to “less than” then there’s a major problem. That was largely the great flaw of Voldemort...

Also, I do wonder if perhaps we’re considering her views are “wrong” when we could be considering if the question is right? She stands in solidarity with trans people per her essay, and against reducing or removing anyone’s human dignity. So is the question something closer to “how do we fully support transpeople while keeping them safe as well as ciswomen safe?” and that is in direct address to her (and a few others’) fear that male predators could gain access to female-specific safe places such as bathrooms, changing rooms, etc by exploiting necessary accommodations for transwomen.

Ok shutting up and listening now! ️💓

Edit 6-18-2020: Corrected my use of "trans women" to "transwomen" per @belsaas's footnote. Listening makes us better!

Last edited:

The Quist

Sep 7, 2018
I’m so glad you brought this up because I’m so interested in hearing the opinions of trans people about this. I’m gay and very proud and protective of all who fall into the LGBTQ+ family including allies; but I’m also a cis male, ...
So, interesting that you make that correlation between Rowling and Voldemort. I just had the exact same thought the other day. Though I think the comparison is slightly different considering that JK has not (that we know of) called for the death of any trans individuals or personally harmed any as well.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe it is a matter of the question, is this the right approach? Again, I disagree with her logic on this based on statistics. The likelihood of a predator pretending to be a trans person in order to assault someone in a bathroom is very slim. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but statistically a cis woman and/or child would be more likely to be assaulted visiting the office of a senator, congressman or pastor, and I don't see anyone proposing that we outlaw them. Additionally the person who assaulted her was her spouse and as far as I know he was not trans, so I don't fully get the connection other than the fact that she doesn't agree that trans women are women. I get from her tweets that she looks at us and thinks "Oh that's cute and all, but no."

So what then is the answer? Bathrooms are a sensitive topic. Gender neutral option? Uni-sex, one stall, locked door option? I personally would not feel comfortable going into a men's restroom and I doubt they would be comfortable with me in there either. I've never had any issues using the women's restroom either but I know some have had bad experiences.

If I recall correctly, what started Rowling's TERF tweets in the first place, was her support of Maya Forstater, who lost her job after she made allegedly transphobic tweets. I have seen some of the tweets in question and personally, I wasn't as offended as many. I disagree with some of her points but I didn't think she deserved to lose her job over them. I also don't think we should burn our Harry Potter books as some are suggesting. I don't support cancel culture; people can change and learn from their mistakes.

I would love to sit down with JK for a few hours and talk to her. I would likely spend 10 minutes discussing this issue and 2 hours trying to figure out why there weren't 1000 Voldemort horcruxes out there, one for every kill? I don't think she hates trans people, but I think she feels slighted by the fact that, as she sees it, people are latching on to female causes who weren't born genetically female. It's a pretty common sentiment actually. And I myself have had to stop and question if I was okay to tag on to some of these. I have faced adversity but not all the same way a cis woman may have.

So much is made of our genders, sexuality etc. I happen to be a transgender lesbian. But I am also a former fighter, strength sports competitor, parent, Irish, Italian, book nerd, magician, corny joke teller, pet lover, musician, traveller, adventurer, you name it. I consider myself a 100 other things before being transgender. It is a part of my life because my experiences molded and shaped me into the person I am today, but it isn't everything.

Again, this is my perspective. I am not saying I am right, but it's the way I see it from my point of view and life experience, research etc. I was a teen in the 90s and society was different then. I had gay friends but to be trans was virtually unheard of where I lived. I know sometimes when we see these types of stories it seems like such a dreary thing, but keep in mind, we barely had a voice 25 years ago. Things have come a long way and hopefully they will continue to improve. The one thing we have to keep is an open mind and an open dialogue. We will always find something we disagree on, but that doesn't mean it's the end. There is so much more to life and people than one view or opinion.

Sorry for the rambling. 😥

Login or Register to Hide This Ad