Pointless Discussions

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Aug 9, 2017
I’ve had the same iPhone since everyone decided to get rid of 3.5mm. I might be the odd one out but I use that sucker.
Same here, I deliberately chose the last one with the headphone jack and use it a lot - whether with actual headphones or a car stereo adapter.

Apr 22, 2019
I don't use headphones much - I don't like the feeling of isolation they create - so that hasn't been an issue for me. I am now that I go to the gym, but I don't go to the gym for 8 hours so I don't have have to worry about not being able to charge while listening. Also I'm using bluetooth headphones so really I could charge it if I wanted to. As far as headphones, bluetooth is really nice. It's great to not accidentally yank the phone (and my ears) when I move the wrong way.

95% of my music/audio listening happens in the car. I have a 40-60 minute commute each way. I use bluetooth there too and do charge the phone.

Reactions: BGWnut
Sep 24, 2018
I like my current samsung. Having said that... The new Microsoft Surface Duo coming next year is exciting. They partnered with Google. The new phone folds runs on an Android base but still have Microsoft DNA. I currently use the Microsoft interface with my Samsung, because it rocks.

Also... The new Surface line up looks sick. The Surface Pro 7 will be mine!
I am planning on buying a surface Pro 7. Although the laptop 3 is tempting. I'm not sure about the Surface Duo. Microsoft will have to do a little convincing that the phone works well and apps support the dual screen.

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I am planning on buying a surface Pro 7. Although the laptop 3 is tempting. I'm not sure about the Surface Duo. Microsoft will have to do a little convincing that the phone works well and apps support the dual screen.
I may get the laptop3 but I have an intel bias... I am not sure how I feel about the AMD chip.

Reactions: BGWnut

lce

I will NEVER forgive you
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
I dislike Microsoft strongly. If Google had a legit OS to rival Win, I'd run it.

I am a Google fanboy. Pixel is my livelihood. It is the only Android in my opinion that can match an iPhone from a cohesion standpoint. iPhone's main thing going for it is the cohesion and how well things work together in the Apple family. Google has managed to accomplish this at the same level without the exclusivity to Google portion, but maximized the cohesion to a whole new level Apple can only dream of when you go exclusively Google.

Once you go Pixel, you really can't go back.

Mar 16, 2016
Well Apple has me by the....apples. iPhone, MacBook Air, iMac, AirPods, HomePod, iPad mini, iPad Pro.

Thank god I have a shit ton of stock.

SukaUniFl

Mama Suka
May 11, 2018
ORLANDO
So this is pointless and to amuse you (Maybe?) So the way things are not doing to well with the mouse, if there would be a delay or problem with RotR (I have some info) I hear Chapek said he will add a new IP to make it even better so here is the poster LOL, enjoy or read this and be like what?
THE RISE OF THE ROSE OF ST. OLAF THE GOLDEN FORCE.jpg

belsaas

Tempesto is a Roller Coaster
Silver Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Man, I went to St. Olaf for undergrad, and everytime people talk about Golden Girls, I get really confused.

So here's a fun bit of Golden Girls trivia. There was a writer on the show who went to Carleton College in Northfield, MN, which is also where St. Olaf College is located. Carleton and St. Olaf are deep, bitter rivals and Carleton students often call Oles dumb and make fun of their Norwiegan-ness a lot, and so the writer wrote Rose's character and made her from St. Olaf as a way to poke fun of their alma mater's rival!

In retaliation, one of the writers on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, who was an Ole, wrote the character of Carleton to make fun of Carleton students, who are stogey and incredibly awkward.

Those two writers are married to one another.

Attachments

SukaUniFl

Mama Suka
May 11, 2018
ORLANDO
Man, I went to St. Olaf for undergrad, and everytime people talk about Golden Girls, I get really confused.

So here's a fun bit of Golden Girls trivia. There was a writer on the show who went to Carleton College in Northfield, MN, which is also where St. Olaf College is located. Carleton and St. Olaf are deep, bitter rivals and Carleton students often call Oles dumb and make fun of their Norwiegan-ness a lot, and so the writer wrote Rose's character and made her from St. Olaf as a way to poke fun of their alma mater's rival!

In retaliation, one of the writers on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, who was an Ole, wrote the character of Carleton to make fun of Carleton students, who are stogey and incredibly awkward.

Those two writers are married to one another.
Thanks for that, that is awesome. I like backstory stuff like that and I will have to remember it for when we have our outside walk brainstorms for UC and hit them with some Golden Girls knowledge with a hint of Fresh Prince. Glad I posted that Star Wars The Last Rose Nylon Jedi.

Oct 7, 2011
I was forced to join the Apple phone ecosystem for work reasons. Don't love it, don't hate it. Each does certain things the other doesn't do so well, and each in turn looks a bit bad in comparison with the other's greatest strengths.

Honestly I can go with either; the difference in functionality at this point is just a question of which types of occasional headaches you would prefer to experience.

One thing Apple finally got right (five years ago) was the larger format phone. God, the original size was like holding a baby's toy. IMO that was probably the last "gotta have it" wall to fall between the two ecosystems, in either direction.

The Carleton/St. Olaf discussion is way better than this post.

Reactions: belsaas and Zachary

lce

I will NEVER forgive you
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
I just found an iOS feature (or lack of feature) that infuriated me, since we are on the topic.

I was in the messages app (an app Apple makes, btw) and had just received numerous photos from a colleague. I wanted to select them all and save them, instead of individually holding each photo and hitting save. After I had selected all the photos, there were 4 buttons, one in each corner of the phone screen.

Top right; cancel.
Seems like a good option. Maybe you wanna stop selecting them all. I can get behind this.

Bottom right; forward
Great option. I love being able to forward multiple messages at once.

Bottom left; delete
Sure, I can get behind being able to mass delete messages. Now if the last button is "save" we are in business

Top left; delete
Wait what? Two buttons for delete?

So no option to mass save photos. At least not on iOS12. But let's give two buttons to delete photos. Seems sensible.

What baffles me is an actual living and breathing human coded this interface, and thought two delete buttons was a good decision. It's not an oversight, you have to make two buttons. Why you make two of them do same thing hmmmmmmm

Apr 22, 2019
I just found an iOS feature (or lack of feature) that infuriated me, since we are on the topic.

I was in the messages app (an app Apple makes, btw) and had just received numerous photos from a colleague. I wanted to select them all and save them, instead of individually holding each photo and hitting save. After I had selected all the photos, there were 4 buttons, one in each corner of the phone screen.

Top right; cancel.
Seems like a good option. Maybe you wanna stop selecting them all. I can get behind this.

Bottom right; forward
Great option. I love being able to forward multiple messages at once.

Bottom left; delete
Sure, I can get behind being able to mass delete messages. Now if the last button is "save" we are in business

Top left; delete
Wait what? Two buttons for delete?

So no option to mass save photos. At least not on iOS12. But let's give two buttons to delete photos. Seems sensible.

What baffles me is an actual living and breathing human coded this interface, and thought two delete buttons was a good decision. It's not an oversight, you have to make two buttons. Why you make two of them do same thing hmmmmmmm
I just tried this on iOS 13 to see what has changed. It's still the same way. There's a Delete All... and a Trash can icon. Goofy. I like iOS, but this is certainly not a highlight of their design.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad