Login or Register to Hide This Ad

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
Could you elaborate on this?
As @Zachary said stalking is a big issue. Having worked a US Women’s Open (golf) I can tell you when you hear what they do to protect those women, you would be really disgusted at some people out there. But there’s also some smaller issues like trying to prevent scams of “record labels” signing them and things like that.

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
I guess I expected performers to have some kind of public presence that allows for fans to keep track of them to some degree. At least under a stage name with a high level of privacy.

Thinking about I see how it makes sense that there might be performers out there that really don't want any fame and are just happy to perform somewhere with no strings attached.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
I guess I expected performers to have some kind of public presence that allows for fans to keep track of them to some degree. At least under a stage name with a high level of privacy.

Thinking about I see how it makes sense that there might be performers out there that really don't want any fame and are just happy to perform somewhere with no strings attached.
I'm sure if there was any sense of a talent scout coming for something bigger, they would contact marketing and go through the proper channels to get their information.

I had a friend that used to do theme park music related stuff. They had a talent recruiter for Disney Cruises one time and that's how he got offered a job to go to them. He ended up doing rotations with both the park and Disney, where he would go to sea for 3-4 months, come back to the park for 4, then back to sea. Typically he did springtime in the park for a barber-shop quartet, summers on the ship doing a dueling pianos thing, did a halloween event (deep voice, so great for this), then winters on the ship doing the piano thing again. Then after all of that he now is at a high end bar in a 5-star hotel basically the same exact way, his info wasn't listed and the talent coordinator went through marketing.

Reactions: Alf33 and Nibbins
Apr 4, 2017
Hershey used to list their full names as well as the ones who created the show. Kings Island used to as well about ten years ago.

For people who wanted to see those performers or creators again, it was great. It’s sad when one sees a great performance maybe never to see that again because they don’t know where to go.

But unfortunately with social media these days it’s understandable why parks don’t do this. These people aren’t paid enough to hire security.

Reactions: Nicole
Dec 7, 2021
While I personally would have liked a few more tweaks to it to make it more Christmasy I think your comment is entirely unfair to the entertainment department. They were in the middle of their TWO biggest events with HalloScream and Christmas Town and were debuting FIVE new in the the course of those of 3 months. As well as 3 complex returning shows. I think that with that work load small conservative changes is fairly reasonable and better then rushing to do a massive remake.
One of those massive shows being Phantoms of the Festhaus, and that was a big production.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Dec 7, 2021
To be fair, Celtic Fyre has changed over the years—sometimes for the better (this iteration, in my opinion) and sometimes for the worse (remember Celtic Fyre, Dog Edition?).

I've long been an advocate of not allowing actual theatrical productions to become park staples like this (see Feinds, Gloria, and Celtic Fyre) so I sorta understand @super7's position. Any park that is not looking to plus itself regularly is a park in decline.

Unfortunately, I sincerely believe that—especially in regards to entertainment—BGW is a park in decline. Given that, in my opinion, the best thing we can often hope for is, sadly, stagnation. Does ANYONE think BGW is currently capable of producing a new show today that is even on the same tier as Celtic Fyre? I really don't. Thus, though stagnation is poisonous, it is still the most effective path to guest experience harm reduction by my assessment.
Imo Phantoms of the Festhaus was one of the best shows they’ve cranked out recently, I actually want to see it come back next year.

Dec 7, 2021
This take is so hot I had to put my phone down. Maybe when it cools off I'll agree with it.

Nope, I still think Phantoms of the Festhaus was a form of biological warfare and should never be allowed to torture the souls of those living ever again.

To keep this relevant, Celtic Fyre is the one consistently good show this park has, probably as a result of the energy the cast always manages to have. Though I agree stagnation is a bad thing, I would say change literally every other show for the better before you mess with the one good thing they have going.
Dang you really didn’t like phantoms.

Reactions: Mwe BGW and Ice

Ice

DarKoaster Smellz
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Dang you really didn’t like phantoms.
That's an understatement.

Every once in a while I attend HoS with my whole family. This past year, my parents decided to tag along. My mother does not ride anything (well, she used to marathon DK, but..) and goes purely for the shows and houses. This was the first time in her existence that she asked the rest of the group if we could leave in the middle of the show, since she preferred the idea of walking around the park and doing absolutely nothing while others went on rides than to subject herself to 20 more minutes of the events unfolding on this God forsaken stage.

I managed to suffer through the show one full time, parts of it on two other occasions. Honestly, I have 0 criticisms towards the performers. Given what they had, the execution was pretty much flawless, fantastic talent.

That being said, the show they were given to execute was nothing more than the latest iteration of the curse of the remodelled Festhaus stage. Right away, the premise of the show is iffy. A singing contest where the audience votes is, to me at least, below the caliber of show a park like BGW should be aiming for. It's a cheesy cop out for easy audience engagement and whatnot. But even if the premise was totally fine, the creative decision of how to implement it to be a singing contest between ghosts of real singers was a bit strange too, since connecting it to pop culture so blatantly as to have the characters be real famous people is just, just isn't what a Halloween show should be to me. And even beyond that, if all of that is totally fine, they chose STILL LIVING PEOPLE to be the so called "ghosts" on stage. If it was great musicians in history that have since passed it would at least make sense, but they went "nah we have to make this modern and relevant with the Kidz" and some poor singer has to get up on stage, stand on a weird temporary elevated surface, and unironically sing Bad Guy by Billie Eilish while pretending to be her ghost months after the song was of any meme or actual relevance.

So yeah, I really didn't like Phantoms. It was dumb. Clearly little effort went into planning it. My deepest condolences to the cast and crew who had to step out there multiple times a day and just put dookie on a plate to try to sell it to us. I really hope this one is quickly rug swept and they figure something else out, maybe bring back a lighthearted Friends in the Festhaus with like half as much sexual innuendo, revitalizing that original charm.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad