Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
The purpose of this thread is to compare and discuss the Pass Member Benefits of Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Kings Dominion, as seen on the chart I created below:
FCViIaQ.jpg

The chart compares Busch Gardens' 2-Park Pass to Kings Dominion's Gold Pass because these passes are the rough equivalents of each other. The top section of the chart directly compares the two parks' benefits side-by-side, while the lower section ("Other Benefits") does not directly compare the benefits.

If you have anything to add, let me know. For more information on Pass Member Benefits, visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg's season pass page and click the "Offer Details" link under the "Busch Gardens + Water Country USA" category, or Kings Dominion's season pass page and click the blue "Benefits" button.

Reactions: Jrbgwfan06
Party Rocker said:
I'd say they stack up pretty even.

I wouldn't say so. You pay less at Kings Dominion and get more. Which is $60 between the 2 passes that are being compared. Occasional ride nights vs. daily ERT for 5 months. Free Dinos Alive compared to a discount to a special event. And daily early entry to WaterWorks vs. 1 (?) Pass Member previews.

Matthew said:
Yup, and there's a $60 difference in price, I know which one I'd pick....

Well you have to look at the difference in single day ticket prices too. Everyone knows BGW is more expensive- that's hardly a secret. Though the question can be posed asking whether or not the more expensive price tag is worth it, this doesn't seem to be the thread to do that in.

Overall, the benefits even out ok I suppose... I'd take daily ERT over BGW's ridiculous Ride Nights any day, and I'm envious of KD's other early entry perks (especially since BGW is still operating with ridiculous staggered openings), but neither is a huge deal.

Let me rephrase that, I feel as though they stack up fairly evenly except for prices, but even then it depends on what you would rather have. Personally I'd still go for BGW, the ride nights seem nice enough for me and I would take discounted Christmas Town anytime because that just means more of the year in the park for me.

The 10% food/merch discount comparison may be mis-leading. I believe the discount only applies to certain shops/restaurants at KD.(Not all of them) BG i'm not sure, but I think the discount is good everywhere.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
I'm just guessing here, but I believe the discount will apply to all of the main shops/ restaurants. I'm also going to assume that they won't apply at any of the outside venders like Panda Express, Chic-Fil-A, sweetFrog, ect.

Reactions: Zachary
This is all I'm going off of.Food & Merch Discounts

Save 10% at select food and merchandise locations. Just look for the 'Flash Your Pass' signs in park.

It came from KD's season pass benefits page on the website.

Reactions: Zachary
Party Rocker said:
Let me rephrase that, I feel as though they stack up fairly evenly except for prices, but even then it depends on what you would rather have. Personally I'd still go for BGW, the ride nights seem nice enough for me and I would take discounted Christmas Town anytime because that just means more of the year in the park for me.
So if they stack up the same, but one cost more... that means they are equal?

ok+thumb+me+up..+green+thumbs+ftw_dd8c56_4969999.gif

David said:
Party Rocker said:

Read the bold.

EDIT: The 10% discount at BGW is good everywhere except at the games and the glow carts.

Party Rocker said:
The 10% discount at BGW is good everywhere except at the games and the glow carts.

I had no idea. Another reason to add to my extremely long list of reasons to never give a dime to either.

Party Rocker said:
David said:
Party Rocker said:

Read the bold.

EDIT: The 10% discount at BGW is good everywhere except at the games and the glow carts.

Exactly. If they are equal in benefits yet one cost much more, how does that make them overall equal? I think you're missing the entire point here. If BGW gives me equal benefits to KD, why am I going to spend more when I do not gain anything?

Well, the only reason why is because they don't have a register to scan your pass or take credit cards. Keeping prices easy enough for the team members to remember :p Not everyone can do the math in their head.

David, I think what your missing is I am saying the actual benefits stack up fairly evenly, but the prices don't. I did say except for prices which is something you seem to skip over. Also, it may not be more, depending on how you feel about the benefits, I feel that they are worth the extra money, others don't. I'm fine with that.

David said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree- but till then, the pass is still in my wallet. Everyone has argued park direction time and time again and I think everyone knows where I stand on it- but right now, that price difference is totally justified in my honest opinion.

David said:
Party Rocker said:
I'd say they stack up pretty even.
Care to elaborate? Because I don't think we looked at the same charts.

I'll elaborate from my perspective.

For starters, this is posted under the BGW board, so you're going to see a natural inclination towards BGW here.  You also have to see through the inherent bias that this chart presents. That is in no way an insult to Joe, who posted this, it's just a fact that this kind of comparison will innately hold; BGW and KD don't offer entirely comparable events and such throughout the season.  Let's break it down:

Let's start with the premise that I prefer BGW, because that's true.  Naturally, I'm willing to pay more for a pass to BGW than KD.  Sixty dollars more?  Maybe.  Let's look at the deals.

That top section looks pretty even, but I also prefer WCUSA to WW, so there's a slight edge to BGW there for me.  The bottom is where it gets tricky.

I much prefer BGW's offer of 50% to all SEAS parks to KD's offer of 10% off Camp Wilderness stays.  As someone who likes to visit the Florida parks as often as possible, and someone with family near other SEAS parks, I can take serious advantage of this and can easily make up far more than sixty dollars on this alone.  I have no interest in Camp Wilderness, conversely, so this offer does nothing for me.

KD wins the next round.  I've never been to Ride Nights at BGW, but I know that any pass holder event brings every pass holder out of the woods, and I avoid them.  Daily ERT, however, is something I'd love to take advantage of.  

Next we have discounted CT admission up against unlimited free admission to DA.  At first glance, the latter definitely sounds like the better offer.  KD has no Christmas event to offer, though, and I'd take a discounted CT over no CT event at all.  Additionally, I don't care about DA at all.  It's not even unique to KD. It costs what, five bucks?  That's not such a hot deal, even if it's unlimited.  I might go through DA once if I had the pass just to feel better about taking advantage of the pass, but I couldn't care less about it otherwise.  2-1 BGW easily here.

The last one is a wash for me personally.  Pass Member Preview Day is cool and all, but I'm never even able to make it to that, and I'd never take advantage of early entry to WW most likely.

We also have to recognize the fact that BGW tickets are regularly about twenty dollars more expensive than KD's.  That leaves only about about a forty dollar difference to cover.

In my opinion, BGW's offers more than cover that forty dollar difference, but I can see how they may not for some who can't take advantage of other SEAS parks or CT.  At the end of day, it's not such a black and white issue; it comes down to personal preference and completely extraneous factors.

Franco said:
Lots of valid points

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a BGW fanboy for whatever reason. I still continue to buy platinum passes every year as well, though I don't take advantage of WCUSA as it's just not my thing. But PR likes to just say things without backing them up, so I was curious as to his perspective.

Because if you look at it from a general public perspective, KD is a MUCH better value in regards to benefits and overall value. The general public is the largest market of course, so what they see as the best value (or what they perceive as the best value is what really sells). Cost also plays i'd argue the biggest factor into the purchase for a lot of people. It would cost a family of 5 $300 more for BGW season passes compared to KD and for some families that is a big deal. That is also considering that to properly enjoy Food and Wine festival you will need to spend a pretty penny eating at some of the stands, and Christmas Town is still an up charge event. At the end of the day, i'm just playing devil advocate here.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad