Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
2,039
8,304
280
Williamsburg, VA
Gwazi lives!

Parts of Busch Gardens' wooden coaster are recycled at theme parks

By Dewayne Bevil

Gwazi lives! The bone-rattling, two-sided wooden roller coaster closed at Busch Gardens last year. But parts of the attraction are having another go-round in some unexpected places within SeaWorld Orlando.

Refinished planks from the thrill ride, which opened in 1999, can now be seen in the fencing that leads up to SeaWorld's new Manatee Rehabilitation area that opened to the public last week.

Gwazi boards are also used on exterior posts at the open-air SeaWorld Rescue store near the entrance of the theme park.

The wood stayed closer to home in some instances. It has been utilized in several places at Tampa attractions, officials say, including signage for Egypt's market area at Busch Gardens theme park and at the Colossal Snacks locations at the adjacent Adventure Island water park.

Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-gwazi-recycled-20160407-story.html
 
RE: Gwazi lives!

Nicole said:
I wonder if we will get the trains for InvadR?  They were fairly new.

From what I've heard, a couple of the Gwazi trains will be repurposed for InvadR. Not sure what will happen with the rest of the Gwazi trains though, since there were 4 12-car trains. That's enough for 6 InvadR trains.
 
RE: Gwazi lives!

Unagi said:
Nicole said:
I wonder if we will get the trains for InvadR?  They were fairly new.

From what I've heard, a couple of the Gwazi trains will be repurposed for InvadR.  Not sure what will happen with the rest of the Gwazi trains though, since there were 4 12-car trains.  That's enough for 6 InvadR trains.

Many spares?
 
RE: Gwazi lives!

Luke said:
Thomas said:
Think of all the toothpicks they could make.
You're a toothpick.

tumblr_mfqw2oaiZG1r7dwqeo1_250.gif
 
RE: Gwazi lives!

Zimmy said:
Unagi said:
Nicole said:
I wonder if we will get the trains for InvadR?  They were fairly new.

From what I've heard, a couple of the Gwazi trains will be repurposed for InvadR.  Not sure what will happen with the rest of the Gwazi trains though, since there were 4 12-car trains.  That's enough for 6 InvadR trains.

Many spares?

I guess spare parts could be used, but that many is a bit excessive. The company would be better off selling the remaining trains for future or other current GCI coasters.
 
RE: Gwazi lives!

This thread title is very misleading! My heart skipped a beat when I saw it.

I had been told Gwazi's trains were already in storage in Williamsburg. I don't know how true that is though. I was hoping for longer trains on InvadR than White Lightning.
 
RE: Gwazi lives: Parts of Busch Gardens' wooden coaster are recycled at theme parks

Good point. I have updated the thread title.
 
RE: Gwazi lives: Parts are being recycled

A few things.

Gwazi is still very much together. I'm not sure if this wood is from work that has been done on it or what, but the coaster is still very much sbno. You can't just start grabbing wood and hope the coaster won't fall apart while you're at it.

White lightning has 6 cars, so there will be a marginal difference in car count. I'm also not sure that gwazi's trains are in WB. A lot of miss information gets spewed by people who should know what they're talking about, but don't nessesarily.

I'm not holding out for an RMC, but for what it's worth, the park hasn't decided what to do with gwazi. Dont hold out hope for Gwazi, but understand that when the park uses that land again, gwazi's structure isn't ruled out.
 
RE: Gwazi lives: Parts are being recycled

All that I keep hearing is that they intend to keep Gwazi branding.
 
RE: Gwazi lives: Parts are being recycled

Shane said:
I had been told Gwazi's trains were already in storage in Williamsburg. I don't know how true that is though.

The trains are most likely at GCI's factory in PA getting refurbed and rethemed for InvadR.

I was hoping for longer trains on InvadR than White Lightning.

InvadR will have 8-car trains as opposed to White Lightning's 6-car trains.
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad