Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
It's far past time SEAS pack it in and sell the parks to Merlin who has expressed interest. With years of mismanagement and failure to innovate(Example of this is BG building out a VR attraction when AR is beginning to surpass the older VR technologies) has left SEAS in this situation.

Not excluding the Blackfish issues, their overall failures to market properly and innovate in the face of stiffer competition has left the park with less attendance and revenues.

Further the park system doesn't have the capital for expansive upgrades and adding new attractions and/or IP from other companies that Universal and Disney are buying and/or leasing to add attractions to continue a growth.

SEAS only way out at this point is to sell, they haven't substantially increase profits, net worth or attendance since Blackstone sold them out and sent the company public.

Doom and gloom, maybe, but at some point you have to look at the company realistically and what's best for it as a whole. The path to resistance is futile unfortunately, especially when Disney is clocking in about $8B+ in revenues per quarter.

Acrossdapark:

Off topic for here but AR is no where near ready for use like that. You still need a screen or classes of some sort to do it. VR has the ability to build a completely digital world, AR still needs to be based on physical world items. Using VR on BfE is not investing in old technologies. In fact I’m willing to bet the BfE might end up being the best use both integrated and design wise of VR and will set the standard for how it’s used in theme parks over the current “overlay” to roller coasters.

warfelg said:
Acrossdapark:

Off topic for here but AR is no where near ready for use like that. You still need a screen or classes of some sort to do it. VR has the ability to build a completely digital world, AR still needs to be based on physical world items. Using VR on BfE is not investing in old technologies. In fact I’m willing to bet the BfE might end up being the best use both integrated and design wise of VR and will set the standard for how it’s used in theme parks over the current “overlay” to roller coasters.

I only need to point to Flight of Passage in Avatar land as a counter to this. Avatar is nothing real world but strictly CGI. However the 2-3-4 hour waits for this AR attraction show a potential in a new evolution of ride experiences.

People are looking for experiences not just a ride, and when you can experience something like AR on Flight of Passage that leaves you 'wowed" over something more generic like VR and video with a head set you will start seeing attendance boost.

I'm not discount Battle at all, it's just VR isn't an experience like it once was in light of $10 headsets at Walmart and free VR games on iPhone or Android anyone can do at home.

Reactions: jeffh
FWIW, I don't view Flight of Passage as AR. It's an amazing ride, don't get me wrong, but it is really just Soarin' with the addition of straddling the banshee (and feeling it breathe, etc). It's a flight simulator with 3D glasses. I see Wikipedia calls it AR, but I'm of the school of thought that AR is your secondary display super-imposed (via glasses/visor/HUD) over what's in front of you. This could put a fairy walking alongside you while you safely navigate Ireland and the pedestrians outside of Grogan's, or automatically translate the marquee over the theater/restaurant when walking down the street in Tokyo.
Maybe this is one of those gray areas where it's hard to truly define what AR really is. CGI does not make something AR.

Warfelg, I concur that BfE may be the ideal VR habitat - indoors, a proven motion simulator, and a huge screen for those not wanting the glasses. It isn't a case where you're trying to build a story to fit with the existing roller coaster forces; this is an organic experience that they are building - from scratch, make the motion/forces fit the story.

I know I'm only one person but this cements my decision to upgrade my pass to a membership. Understanding this article highlights the problems as with the company as a whole, I still want to feel like I'm helping somehow lol. It'll cost my husband and I $20 more a month to keep our "platinum" type status but it's time we pay our fair share.

Zimmy said:
Provided the debt ratio continues to climb at its current rate and does not accelerate, (which is has been doing) and they do nothing to offset the debt, so maintain status quo, they will be at 6 to 1 in less than 2 years.  I will pause while you consider that.  Incidentally, and again assuming few changes, (like a 30 million dollar coaster in BGW) they are closing in on 3 billion (with a b) in that time too.  This numbers are alarming.  

So are you saying that SEAS is actually approaching close to 3 billion dollars in debt? Help me understand where this number comes from, as when you look at the financial statements they report 1.5 billion. Is it the shares is the other aspect?

Reactions: jornor and Zimmy
So this happened today. It is an interesting turn of events as I was just talking about SRA/ CSRA as a case example yesterday. In this case they are being swallowed up by... not a bigger fish... no that is too small, perhaps a blue whale. This is kind of like if Disney decided it wanted to own Fun Spot because they wanted a couple roller coasters. Except I can not think of anything CSRA brings to the table that Gen Dyn does not have. Maybe something from the CSC side of the house. Regardless, like I said, when these things happen, they happen fast!

Reactions: jeffh and jornor
musicman3204 said:
Zimmy said:
Provided the debt ratio continues to climb at its current rate and does not accelerate, (which is has been doing) and they do nothing to offset the debt, so maintain status quo, they will be at 6 to 1 in less than 2 years.  I will pause while you consider that.  Incidentally, and again assuming few changes, (like a 30 million dollar coaster in BGW) they are closing in on 3 billion (with a b) in that time too.  This numbers are alarming.  

So are you saying that SEAS is actually approaching close to 3 billion dollars in debt?  Help me understand where this number comes from, as when you look at the financial statements they report 1.5 billion.  Is it the shares is the other aspect?
You are quiet correct, I misspoke I was mixing up what Blackstone payed out for the Parks 2.3b. There are a number of conflicting numbers. Also with accelerating debt and on a curve forecasting becomes more like vudu. There current debt is closer to 1.5. and rising the current valuation is 1.2b and declining. The debt ratio of course is based on earnings not value. But value speaks to borrowing power.

I want to make another clarification. I said that there was no clear demarcation line for when Seas goes into forfeiture, Mr. Conceicao has a different opinion, he believes it is at a 5.75 ratio. Assuming that we are about to cross that line this is HORRIFYING. 2 years without significant adjustment maybe thinking positively. I do not believe management thinks they are doing anything wrong so I do not think they will make the necessary changes.

I apologize to all for my mistake. I really need to stop doing these brain dumps at 0300.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad